2021 NA Banner Overview/Planning

I’m mostly talking to myself in this post, but I made it public in case anyone wanted to follow along or share their own 2021 gacha plans and the rationale behind them. Not including images since this post will be long enough without them.

Banners anticipated to be JP-only are excluded.

Decisions are based on my own roster and preferences, so take it with a grain of salt if you actually read the whole thing.

Methodology:

• Why would I care about rolling?
  • What would make me not want to roll?
  • Roll or Skip?

EDIT: Forgot Investigation Banner feat. Jalter and Salieri - skipping because both NP5

JANUARY

NEW YEAR’S

Reasons to Roll:

• Smiling CE will become a more viable option down the road with Castoria support

• Opportunity to NP++ Scathach

Reasons to Skip:

• CE feels very optional with superscope and MLB BG as non-event options, and not worth it unless MLB is achieved. Cute Orangette is also a very similar CE that’s only a little less effective damage-wise.

• Scathach is doing fine with NP2; the other Servants I care about on that banner are NP5

Conclusion: SKIP

SPARROW’S INN 1 + 2

Reasons to Roll:

• New Servants - Benienma, Assassin Li

Reasons to Skip:

• Not excited for the new Servants; Tamamo and Tomoe are NP5; can do without Saber Diarmuid rate-up

PRISMA CODES RERUN

Reasons to Roll:

• Miyu is incredibly rare - this is a Fujino situation

• Magical Girl of Sapphire CE returns

Reasons to Skip:

• Miyu is incredibly shitty

• No need for the other Servants on the banner; Ilya already NP5, Medb NP2 but not a priority

• Don’t really need a second MLB Magical Girl CE

Conclusion: SKIP (I want Miyu even though she’s bad, but there is absolutely no gameplay reason to get her when you have better support options; also, chances are good that she will return if she ever gets a buff)

FEBRUARY

VOICE AND LETTER COLLECTION (V-DAY)

Reasons to Roll:

• New Servant: Murasaki Shikibu - very capable AoE Caster with useful trait damage

Reasons to Skip:

• Satisfied with Anastasia for AoE Caster niche

• No must-have Servants in the shared(!) rate-up

• Gacha event CEs aren’t that interesting

SE.RA.PH RERUN

Reasons to Roll:

• I don’t have Meltryllis or Passionlip, and the former is a top-tier ST Quick option

Reasons to Skip:

• Not lacking for Quick DPS options

• Can continue to live without Passionlip

KINGPROTEA

Reasons to Roll:

• New Servant: Kingprotea - interesting mechanics unique to her, unusual design

Reasons to Skip:

• Tristan and Gawain both NP5

• Kingprotea may be interesting, but my Chaldea is drowning in Buster AoE

MARCH

OLD SPIDER / CHALDEA BOYS 2019

Reasons to Roll:

• I don’t have Moriarty

• I probably won’t have Lanling, either

• The star gather CE with NP Gain Up is interesting

Reasons to Skip:

• Moriarty not a must-have for me

• My other favorite male Servants are already NP5

• Lanling shares the 4-star rate-up with Yan Qing

• I rarely use star gather CEs and already have the Star of Camelot, which is close enough in function

OOKU 1+2

Reasons to Roll:

• New Servant: Kama - one of the top ST Quick Servants and Assassins in the game

• I’m not a big Sakura fan, but her voice actress does a kick-ass job, ngl

Reasons to Skip:

• Kama not strictly necessary with Jack NP4, MHXA NP3, Nyanta Alter NP5, and Dantes grailed + NP5

• Kama also projected to lose some gameplay relevance when Castoria comes along and enables several ST Arts Servants to mimic or surpass her capabilities from a refund + damage perspective

• Already have Kiara NP5 (sowaka, indeed), and Scheherazade will spook herself the last step to NP5 without my help at this rate

APRIL

16M DOWNLOADS

Reasons to Roll:

• MHXA is a really cool Berserker and highly compatible with Skadi’s nonsense

• Another chance for more Cute Orangette copies

Reasons to Skip:

• NP3 is more than good enough for a Servant I like but am not dedicated to using

• One MLB copy of Cute Orangette is sufficient; the other CEs aren’t worth it

GUDAGUDA IMPERIAL CITY RERUN

Reasons to Roll:

• Return of Okita Alter

• Return of Okada Izou

Reasons to Skip:

• Already have NP1 Okita from GSSR and don’t use her

• Can live without Okada-kun

LORD EL-MELLOI II’S CASE FILES

Reasons to Roll:

• A wild Waver appears

Reasons to Skip:

• NP4 is more than good enough, assuming he won’t have spooked me to NP5+ by then

LADY REINES’ CASE FILES

Reasons to Roll:

• Top-tier Support Rider, Reines, makes her debut

• Top-tier 4-star ST Arts Servant, Astraea, also makes her debut

Reasons to Skip:

• Reines doesn’t fully come into her own until her strengthening the year after, though her NP’s cancellation of defensive disadvantage is interesting

• Astraea is strong, but doesn’t become ridiculous until Castoria’s arrival (in which case she is competing with the likes of Archuria, Sitonai, and Vlad for that ST attacker spot)

Conclusion: Probably SKIP and look to acquire both at a future rate-up

MAY

CLASS SUMMONING BANNERS

Conclusion: JUST NO.

JUNE

INTERLUDE CAMPAIGN

Conclusion: SKIP - NP1 Osakabehime is fine, and the rest I don’t want or need

YUGA KSHETRA PRE-RELEASE

Conclusion: SKIP - both Arjuna and Rama NP5

YUGA KSHETRA BANNER 1

Reasons to Roll:

• New Servant: Jinako/Ganesha

• New Servant: Laskhmibai

• New Servant: William Tell

Reasons to Skip:

• Would be nice to have these new Servants, but Banner 2 is just around the corner

YUGA KSHETRA BANNER 2

Reasons to Roll:

• New Servant: Arjuna Alter - one of the overall best Buster Servants and THE top-tier AoE Buster option; also subjectively excellent art, sound design, and shirtless presentation

• New Servant: Asclepius - one of the top low-rarity supports and a very cool design in his own right

• New Servant: Ashvatthaman

Reasons to Skip:

• Karna already NP5

• No need for Ashvatthaman

• Gameplay need for Arjuna Alter mitigated by abundance of looping options

Conclusion: ROLL - Arjuna Alter is a favorite Servant voiced by a favorite actor, and is likely to be an enduringly solid gameplay choice despite the current and future environment not favoring Buster. NP5.

17M DOWNLOADS

Conclusion: Skip - comfortable with Bride at NP2, and OG Nero is NP5 and still waiting in the breadline for ascension mats

JULY

GUDAGUDA FINAL HONNOJI

Reasons to Roll:

• New Servant: Nobunaga Avenger - gorgeous design

• New Servant: Mori Nagayoshi

• Another shot at Nobunaga Berserker

Reasons to Skip:

• Nobu Avenger is objectively not that great a Servant

• Nobu Berserker is quite good, but not feeling the need to raise her above NP3

SUMMER SERVANT FESTIVAL RERUN BANNERS

Conclusion: SKIP - two more BB copies would be nice, but too much of a luxury considering that I will already have gone nuts on Yuga Kshetra and gotten any and everything else I could have wanted during the original run

AUGUST

CHALDEA PARK 4TH ANNIVERSARY

Reasons to Roll:

• New Servant: Da Vinci Rider - a premier Arts AoE Servant who happens to be our beloved Da Vinci

Reasons to Skip:

• Happy with OG Da Vinci and have Jeanne Archer NP5 among others for easy Arts looping

LAS VEGAS TOURNAMENT 1+2

Reasons to Roll:

• Merlin returns

• New Servant: Musashi Berserker - a great AoE Arts attacker who becomes top-tier with Castoria’s release

• New Servant: Altria Ruler

• New Servant: Osakabehime Archer

• New Servant: Carmilla Rider

• New Servant: Mysterious Alter Ego Lambda - another future top-tier Arts AoE option

• New Servant: Okita Souji Assassin

Reasons to Skip:

• NP3 Merlin is good enough for gameplay - only want NP5 because I like him

• Intending to pass on Musashi and focus all attention on Space Ishtar, and there isn’t much of a gameplay “need” for both

• Not a big enough Altria fan to roll for this Ruler

• Not in love with any of the 4-star options, but looking forward to Hokusai Saber with the event

SEPTEMBER

INTERLUDE CAMPAIGN (JACK, TESLA, PARVATI RATE-UP)

Conclusion: SKIP - NP4 Jack is fine, don’t want more Tesla, Parvati is NP5

CLASS SUMMONING CAMPAIGN

Conclusion: NOOOOO.

BATTLE IN NEW YORK 2019

Conclusion: SKIP - no must-have CEs, no Servants for whom I need more copies

OCTOBER

ONILAND RERUN

Conclusion: SKIP - don’t care for Shuten, Sitonai not a must-have despite being an excellent ST Arts Servant

SABER WARS II PRE-EVENT CAMPAIGN

Conclusion: SKIP - NP3 MHX is enough

SABER WARS II

Reasons to Roll:

• New Servant: Space Ishtar - flex NP card type to match support; a future top-tier Castoria team option; has a nice blue costume option with appropriately intimidating echoing voice effects

• New Servant: Calamity Jane

Reasons to Skip:

• Don’t care about getting Calamity Jane

Conclusion: ROLL - despite her saturation in FGO, I like Rin, and Space Ishtar’s ability to function with all card supports is likely to age well as game design changes. Her biggest drawback is meh card performance, but NP damage and NP Brave Chains are really her highlights. Likely NP5.

NOVEMBER

18M DOWNLOADS

Conclusion: SKIP - NP2 Skadi is more than enough

NIGHTINGALE’S CHRISTMAS CAROL

Reasons to Roll:

• New Servant: Astolfo Saber

Reasons to Skip:

• Although I like Astolfo, I will have just emptied my SQ and probably gutted Wallet-kun while rolling S-Ishtar

• No desire or need for more copies of the other rate-ups

DECEMBER

INTERLUDE CAMPAIGN (ANASTASIA, NAPOLEON, LANLING, QIN LIANGYU RATE-UP)

Conclusion: SKIP - Lanling probably not worth it for me, not after the aforementioned purge of SQ

ATLANTIS RELEASE CAMPAIGN

Reasons to Roll:

• New Servant: Super Orion - I find him to be somewhat overrated, but it’s undeniable that he has a powerful crit damage niche

• New Servant: Europa

• New Servant: Mandricardo

Reasons to Skip:

• No real need for Super Orion

• Even less need for the other two, and no character loyalty at this point to make me want them

ATLANTIS CAMPAIGN 2

Reasons to Roll:

• I probably still won’t have Achilles

• Astraea

Reasons to Skip:

• I probably still won’t feel the need for Achilles

• Astraea is an excellent Servant, but at this point the quirky and objectively less-amazing (but so gorgeous) Yang Guifei is about to arrive

• Chiyome is already NP5

Conclusion: UNDECIDED

15 Likes

Well I guess my list is easier. Roll for Reines ( I don’t want to roll for her in 2022), np2 Arjuna alter, 1 space Ishtar, and np2 BB.

Still undecided on Chad Orion and skip everyone else.

1 Like

To think that even :whale: consider skipping new banners :rofl:
Anyway, IMO, Super Orion is seriously broken and can compete with top dog loopers but only if you have BB Summer otherwise he is indeed not as good.
Kama is probably the ST Quick pointmen that is “hurt” the less by the new Castoria meta, due to her battery skill. Though if you prefer Melt then not much point rolling for Kama, Melt is good enough.

3 Likes

I have BB but still won’t budge for Orion. I have no tolerance for RNG in my farming, and I don’t need him for CQs, so he’s out of the job.

1 Like

Reading this post made me realize once again… .It’s still 2 years until we get Sei Shonagon! :fgo_jeannu:

Besides that: For me it’s more like “which Banners I won’t spend much and which ones I go really hard on”.

To make it short: Kama, Arjuna, Space Ishtar, Orion, Summer Banners
Those are the Banners I’m planning to go really hard on to get all of them NP2 at least, NP5 at best (obviously)

Hokusai (New Years), Moriarty, Nobu Avenger, Reines, da Vinci;
Trying to get at least one copy, because I really want them in my Chaldea. Also this is Moriarty’s last known rate up, so there’s that.

All the others: Rolling just a little bit to see if I can get the rate up 5-Star (or in case of LB4: Lakshmi Bai [I really don’t care about Jinako]).

HARD PASS: Christmas 5. The completionist in me says “roll”, but I just dislike that they made that joke Saber Astolfo a 5-Star way too much.

2 Likes

My plan is quite simple compared to yours.

MARCH

Kiara NP2 is a long time objective of mine, even though Kama is good i could really use Kiara more.

JUNE

Asclepius is great and his banner has Ashwatthaman, whose playstyle i really like.

AUGUST

Carmilla Rider is beautiful and i need her.

OCTOBER

Also going for Space Ishtar. Hopefully i’ll get NP2 but i’m not a whale so i’m happy with NP1.

Note:
It pains me that i have to skip Medb’s banner on Prisma Codes, but that’s the only way i’ll have enough quartz for Kiara and i have spent enough on her already.
I hope i don’t get spooked on Summer 3 because i really don’t want Musashi

2 Likes

Bets are on for how early Gou breaks her lofty resolutions and ends up caving in on some banner’s last day for a NP5 SSR :fgo_rinlaugh:

6 Likes
  • Moriarty not a must-have for me

How dare you.

That said, good break down and reasonable conclusions.

Personally, Arjuna Alter is my top new target, followed by another copy or more of Moriarty and Napoleon.

3 Likes

I will only be rolling next year for Magical Girl of Sapphire (4 copies), Kama, Nero Bride (and final OG Nero copy), and mUSAshi (hopefully NP2).

If I happen to get unexpectedly lucky with the above, I may try for a second copy of Kiara or BBikini.

Of course, if an unexpected Saber Musashi banner drops, I will mortgage my house for three more copies.

5 Likes

I was totally waiting for that comeback about Moriarty :smiley:

5 Likes

When did I become a woman?

But otherwise, that’s fair.

1 Like

Wait…

You aren’t ?

1 Like

Checks

Nope.

2 Likes

I’ve never partied that hard, before…

2 Likes

Brb, gonna question my entire perception of reality as a lie :fgo_seiba:

2 Likes

Dump everything into Christmas, if no NP5 then save everything afterward for the next opportunity.
If no NP5 even after that, quit.

5 Likes

All I can say is this list makes me feel real poor :rofl:

Since I’m not breaking out any paid quartz, I feel like Reines is a safer pull in 2021 – her June 2022 banner is too close to Castoria, though I feel like it’s the slightly better one. Neither Astraea nor Indian Jeanne are limited, so it’s a bit of a wash in that regard. Since her second banner is Interlude Campaign 13, it has no event CEs on rate-up, which I consider a huge plus (still need them scopes and grails).

1 Like

I’m not going to bother with Reines next year, as I won’t have a use for her until after her rank up, and even then, I already have Waver, so she’s only of marginal value.

3 Likes

Benienma, Kama, arjuna alter, melt (?), summer servants.

Space Ishtar? She may wield a katana but the proportion with her head and the rest of the body is too obvious (head too big), so I will skip

Super Orion seems broken but I don’t like his design. Either they decide to give us his plushie form (it would be fun) or they put him a trash bag on his face(too disrespectful, no thanks) in that case I will roll for him.

I will also roll on differents banners. Too lazy to enumerate them all.

2 Likes

Oh are we doing target lists for next year?

Here’s my rolling plans

Main Account

• Hijikata Toshizō (GudaGuda Imperial Capital, NP1)
  • Okita J Sōji (Las Vegas Tournament, NP5)

Alt Account

• James Moriarty (CBC 2021, NP1)
  • Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanova (Rank Up Quests, NP1)
  • Sima Yi (Reines) (Rank Up Quests, NP1)
1 Like