A question about CF

I mean, if she wanted a peaceful nation with independence and happiness for non-Crested citizen, she would know more than everyone that starting a war with the biggest peace-regulating organism of the continent would result in too many casualties. I even made an abridged version of how the story would’ve played if Edelgard acted like she would normally.

What Edelgard should've done

Edelgard: Hey guys
Dimitri, Claude & Byleth: Hey
Edelgard: The Crest system is bad for the people and does more harm than good for non-Crested. What if we go ask Rhea to cooperate to govern a Fódlan with independence and freedom?
DCB: Makes sense.

Transition

EDCB: …And that’s why destroying the Crest System would create a world that the Goddes would appreciate. In fact, much better.
Rhea: Explains the Crest System and how she wants Sothis back
Byleth: Long, interesting chat with Rhea about Gods and Men.
Rhea: Makes sense.

Transition, and complete extermination of all of TWSITD

Edelgard: And from now on, the world will know peace and love for all time. My job is done, I have ten minutes of life left anyways. Dies

FIN

But that would make the game storyless, wouldn’t it? So…what if Rhea was the antagonist instead of Edelgard? Imagine, the 3 Lords joining forces to defeat a Church that has controlled Fódlan since pretty much its foundation. Have them talk with Rhea about their duties as leaders, and have Byleth talk to Rhea about what Sothis did and wanted!

Another (cooler) version of what Edelgard should've done

Edelgard: Hey guys
Dimitri, Claude & Byleth: Hey
Edelgard: The Crest system is bad for the people and does more harm than good for non-Crested. What if we go ask Rhea to cooperate to govern a Fódlan with independence and freedom?
DCB: Makes sense.

Transition

EDCB: …And that’s why destroying the Crest System would create a world that the Goddes would appreciate. In fact, much better.
Rhea: But it’s ensuring peace to Fódlan! We are living in harmony! My ancestors are honored! What more do you want?!
Byleth: The crestless people (like 90% of the population) suffer from discrimination and abandonement from the nobles’ part! We have to do something about it!
Rhea: You know nothing! You dare defy the Goddes, my Mother, and want to get rid of my brethored’s lineage! I will destroy you, filthy Agartheans!

The 3 lords form an alliance to fight Rhea

TWSITD offer help, but our heroes understand that being agaisnt someone doesn’t mean they should ally with the first satanic dudes that is also agaisnt their enemy. They fight and kill them, while Byleth avenges he death of his father.

After a tough fight with the help of others, they defeat Rhea in her Church. As she lays dying, Byleth tries to help her and speaks to her. In her final moments, Rhea recognizes Sothis’ voice in Byleth and trusts him the position of leader of the Church. Now, with the 3 houses in peace and Byleth leading the Church, Fódlan knows peace once more.

…Or have the Abyss dudes just come and kill everyone instead

3 Likes

“fe:3h-possible-spoilers”

Doesn’t the title already fulfill at the very least that?

2 Likes

@MovingStone I changed the title because of this, hope you don’t care (many people here haven’t played 3H) :feh_nino:

2 Likes

Also, yesterday a similar thread was made about this here

1 Like

I’m seeing double on threads these days.

The antagonist of 3H is a matter of perspective. Just because Edelgard was the antagonist of your favorite route doesn’t mean she’s the villain of the story, or that her war was unjustified. You’re entitled to your own opinion, but this is just factual that Edelgard is not a hero or a villain, same for Dimitri or Rhea really. They’re all moral grey areas, and that’s how they should stay. To place them in defined roles as antagonists/protagonists, heroes/villains, etc is to go against the entire purpose of their writing and conception.

10 Likes

Oh cool, another one. This should be interesting. :feh_lucinasmug:

2 Likes

Yeah no that wouldn’t happen. Rhea isn’t the sharing type, which is part of why there’s a problem in the first place. If she didn’t tell Seteth about her plans to resurrect Sothis, what makes you think she would just have a chill conversation with Edelgard about it? Rhea would just call sacrilege or something and preach about how the nobles are blessed by the goddess and therefore deserve to rule.

It’s not that Edelgard didn’t want to be diplomatic. It just wasn’t a realistic option.

2 Likes

You can have hereos or villains, but you can’t.
However, any story needs a protagonist and antagonist.

I mean, did Edelgard EVER tried to talk about the Crest System issue with someone that wasn’t Hubert? Knowing Dimitri and Claude they would’ve understand it, considering the creators of the Crest System were the ones that killed his family.
In fact, and alliance between the two would’ve been much more practical for Edelgard!

1 Like

I don’t even think Edelgard was evil like a lot of people like to claim. I just think that both her and TWSITD were handled very very poorly from a written perspective and the structure of her entire route suffers for it. Having played both games recently, Edelgard comes off to me as a shoddily written Arvis.

1 Like

I think there are 2 major flaws in the way you’re viewing this whole thing.

• You’re judging the characters’ actions using the information you have, rather than the information they had. You say “knowing Dimitri and Claude” but thats just the thing, she didn’t. She isn’t some omnipresent being like you are in this game that gets to see events she isn’t even present for. Plus, the students at Garreg Mach are divided into houses (which I feel is a terrible idea in the first place, but that’s just me). In fact, the three houses are so divided socially that the lords at one point felt they needed to throw a big party so everyone could get a chance to interact with students from other houses.
    One of Edelgard’s problems throughout the whole game is that between the church and TWSITD, she’s constantly being kept in the dark and lied to. Unlike you, she doesn’t have all the answers, and there’s no way she could have.

• You’re grossly overestimating the willingness of people to change their views. You’re talking about how Edelgard should have just talked it out and everyone would have been like “makes sense,” but that’s completely unrealistic. Everyone has their own agenda, their own plans, their own secrets, and despite what they tell you in pre-school, not every problem can be talked out. That would be the ideal, but the fact of the matter is that some people are stubourn and unreasonable. Rhea’s been around for more than a thousand years, do you honestly think a quick chat with a 17 year old would change her mind about anything?