@af1899's Altena appreciation post & +10 showcase... plus a surprise! :feh_ethlynheh:

S U R P R I S E !

I had intended to make of this appreciation post a surprise of sorts, been thinking of creating it for the past few days and seeing I already like a lot the character I’ll cover… why not? :e7_ravisob:
I’ll also mix in a little surprise as well due to a special date being celebrated today.

So, who this time? Well…

Altena

:globe_with_meridians: SOURCE ▸ Fire Emblem TREASURE

That’s right, one of the motivations for this thread is her, so let’s get started.

Who’s she?

:warning: I tried to write this bio from memory at first, I’ll probably try to refine it later with what I find in the Wiki, so for now, there’ll be no links, etc. But feel free to notify me if you find any errors and/or missing info.

Altena is the daughter of Quan of Leonster and Ethlyn of Chalphy, two kingdoms located in different countries in Jugdral. She’s brother to prince Leif of Leonster.

Initially, after the Aed Massacre, her parents were killed in the Aed Dessert at the hands of King Travant of Thracia and his squadron, but their children were spared, with Altena being taken care of by the very man that killed her parents, she was very young, so she wouldn’t know or remember those events, Travant wanted to raise her since she inherited major Holy Blood from Crusader Njörun, which was present in Quan, and allowed her to wield the [Gáe Bolg], one of the twelve relics gifted to the Twelve Crusaders in long gone years.

She’s first seen in chapter 8 of the game, she’s ordered to attack the liberation army led by Seliph after they began recapturing various cities and locations in the Thracian Penninsula, but as she was drawing closer to the liberation army, she felt reluctant to attack and seemingly saddened when she was watching from atop a mountain, at the potential consequences that Travant’s orders would impose if she follows them, Seliph and Ced recognized her from the distance and noticed how she was apparently feeling.
She eventually retreats from the battlefield and is scolded by Travant himself for not properly leading the assault and just walking away while the squadron assigned to her is tore appart to shreds. She’s not seen until early in the next chapter, where she’s given one more chance after Arion tries to convince his father that she’s just unaware of what she’s saying as she was trying to protest out of line, in an effort to convince him to use more peaceful methods. She then, proceeds with her squadron to attack Seliph’s liberation army as they advance to Kapathogia and Leif manages to speak to her, at first she couldn’t believe that not only his brother is talking to her, she’s also unable to believe her true parents were killed by the man that raised her as her own child for the past 17 years, but Leif asks her to look into his eyes, and she realizes he’s not lying at all, so she decides to retreat and ask Travant himself, who confirms the truth about the Aed Massacre, and is shocked about that…
snes9x-x64,FE4.Game.Eng.DTN.Latest_-_Snes9x_1.60_2021-05-09_14-46-25-787
After Altena enters in a rage episode, she’s knocked out by Arion to save her from Travant raising suspictions about her; believing her dead; Travant then, immediately sets out to lead another assault to Seliph’s army and to recapture the cities he liberated from the Empire, but eventually, Travant is slain in battle.
Arion gets word of this and suggests Altena to reunite with Leif, which means joining Seliph’s army and eventually making of Arion and Altena enemies, this is because of the curse of the [Gáe Bolg] and the [Gungnir], the latter of which is wielded by Arion himself, where the wielders of those weapons are fated to fight each other.
Eventually, Altena manages to join Seliph’s army and fights for them with strong resolve.

In the last chapter, Arion decides to recapture Chalphy as he appears from the southwest later in said chapter, but Altena manages to persuade him into serving her, she told him he’s so caught up in his ego and leaves her own fate to Arion (by deciding whether or not he kills her), but he comes to a realizement and agrees to help her.
snes9x-x64,FE4.Game.Eng.DTN.Latest_-_Snes9x_1.60_2021-05-14_01-25-56-040

Altena is depicted as a mellow individual, and protective of her citizens, even though she has no recollection of her parents, she still feels their warmth as if it was otherwordly, which has thankfully been passed down to her.
snes9x-x64,FE4.Game.Eng.DTN.Latest_-_Snes9x_1.60_2021-05-09_02-17-45-638
One example of her kindness is her conversation with Sharlow in chapter 10 of the game, where he wants to cast a magic protection spell to raise her resistance (since wyvern riders tend to have it very low), but… this spell comes at the cost of a little life force:
snes9x-x64,FE4.Game.Eng.DTN.Latest_-_Snes9x_1.60_2021-05-10_17-03-32-143
She tells Sharlow she can’t accept his offer, but he’s worried about her and insists, so she ends up accepting on the condition Sharlow will back off at the first sign of weakness, this results in Altena’s resistance going up by 5 points permanently.

Why I appreciate her?

She's without a doubt a very approachable personality with a gentle mien, in FEH, she's not that different from how we know her from FE4. She was also a girl with a rather emotive past, as I've been covering in her bio (to put it short, she was raised by the very man that killed her OG parents because she was able to use a special weapon, thus serve to fullfill that man's ambitions).

And I like her design so much, she's depicted as a mentally strong and beautiful woman, FEH still managing to captivate that essence perfectly; she wants to give Kiran her very best in battle, like how Nino does.

:feh_nino:

I knew I wanted her when she was added to FEH and I was really happy with her addition as demote, her extremely passable fodder really helped me to decide that I wanted to work on her.

She’s also sister to the best [Lord] in the series if there were not enough reasons for my bias towards her.

Fan #art

Because… why not? :feh_florina:
Although, sadly, she doesn’t have as much so here are 5 of the ones I liked the most. :cat:

:arrow_up: (3×) Drawn by: ちけふ (Pixiv)

:arrow_up: (2×) Drawn by: こむぎ (Pixiv)

Mini-showcase

At first, I was against using my free [Forma Soul] from the fourth anniversary since it’s extremely valuable and I wanted to use it on a seasonal I was sure I loved when they appeared.
I was also mentioning the possibility OG Idoun could appear as Forma, but honestly? I decided not to wait for her, because I already have her at +7 and she’s getting all the skills anyway, so I thought someone else deserved to be recruited this way… I slowly convinced myself I wanted Altena, until it was 4 in the morning when the [Hall of Forms] ended and finally, decided to get the last merge… yes, that copy was all that I needed to fully max Altena out, and I would love to share her with y’all:

She’s not at her prime for sure, but still, she manages to make her way through her enemies… sure, some of them can still pick her off, but this build so far is fun, just wish I had the remaining ingredients, but I’m happy with this.
When I get Gatrie, I know who he’s getting sacrificed to… did I mention Melady too?
:crazy_face:
Gatrie has the [Spirited Lance+] which will help Altena charge special skills faster with an easy to meet condition, I can also get [Fort. Def/Res 3] which she could use when she gets [Wyvern Flight 3], but the C-skill is already the one I want, her weapon is also seasonal but I live to spoil my favorites in this game so…
:feh_alfonsesmile:

Btw, her support is with OG Leif, who I got the other day with his Resplendent skin, but sadly I don’t have anything for him yet. :feh_ikecry: So both Altena’s and Leif’s builds and bonds will be a work in progress until I get all their fodder…

Also…

Yes, I said at the beginning of this post and in the title that something special was taking place today, it’s…

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War’s 25th anniversary!

:jp: Released: Japan only | Released for SFM | May 14th, 1996.

That’s right, this game was released exactly 25 years ago, I’ve been secretly working on this post in hopes to make of it a surprise, and although I can’t really make much for the anniversary, I wanted to share my appreciation for what I see as one of the two games that compounds the pinnacle of the series, led by the true creator of the series, Shouzou Kaga:
Shouzou_Kaga
He’s the true creator of the series and worked on the first five installments in the series, which includes Thracia 776… he left @Intelligent_Systems shortly after that game was finished, and founded a company named Tirnanog (which is named like one of the cities in Isaach, a country to the north east of Jugdral), that company released first an Emblem Saga game which was later renamed to TearRing Saga: Utna Heroes Saga because Nintendo reported the copyright infringement from the OG name and they managed to sue Kaga for it.
:entyhmph:
Today, he still lives, and has developed a game that draws on a lot of elements from Fire Emblem, known as Vestaria Saga, you can download it officially for free in its website, but the game will be in Japanese… there’s an English version though, but it’s paid:

Aaaaanyway. :fgo_ereshpeek:
Back onto the previous topic…

H A P P Y • A N N I V E R S A R Y , F E 4 !

(Sources: Twitter | Tumblr)

I recommend checking out this Tumblr archive, more fan #art is bound to appear in these days!

I played the game recently and made it to the grand finale, it was truly beautiful, the music is outstanding and very memorable, so is the cast… there’s a lot I firmly appreciate in Jugdral and the games developing on it are worth playing, I recommend them!
As for me, I’m playing with the latest translation by Dark Twilkitri, instead of the more updated Project Naga because I’m a diehard elitist /s… jokes aside though, I was never too fan of the newer names, although I’ve grown to adapt to them without problem thanks to FEH, I like more the special charm I feel in those older translations, like… [Volcanon] > [Bolganone]. :feh_ayratea:
Plus the UI fonts used in Project Naga really look worse compared to the ones used on Dark Twilkitri, which feel more FE-like Imo.
snes9x-x64,Fire_Emblem_-Seisen_no_Keifu(Naga_-Beta_7)-_Sn_2021-05-14_03-49-47-398
…Yeah, no. :feh_tooobin:

All in all, I appreciate all things Jugdral, although I’m not a resident expert of its lore, I’d be happy to continue indulging on it and help others with character usage, be it on the vanilla game or in FEH.
It’s probably known that I’m extremelly fond of Julia though, who I will post about in 9 days because I would like to align my post with the day of her OG version’s weekly revival, and I’m planning to make it something grand, so please look forward to it.
:feh_altinawink:

I’ve also finished my first run rather recently. :catdance:
snes9x-x64,Fire_Emblem_-Seisen_no_Keifu(Naga_-Beta_7)-_Sn_2021-05-14_03-59-42-388
Too bad, but I was close enough to all As.

I’ll end this section by sharing a theme I offered to extend, it’s a rather obscure one but not as certain well hidden pieces (and I meant it in the sense it’s kinda ominous but I love it) — it plays in chapter 9 of the game after Leif talks to Altena (it’s NOT a character theme for anyone!) and the latter goes to ask Travant for confirmation about the truth of the Aed Massacre and her parents:

The End

Thanks for coming to my TED talk yet another appreciation post of mine! I hope you have enjoyed the read.
As a side note: coincidentally enough, it’s also the 122nd anniversary for my favorite football club!

Their story is summarized here, it’s a rather unexpected coincidence and over those 5+ years sticking to the Fire Emblem series, I’d have never thought about this. :fgo_ereshdistress:
But it’s so nice, that means double the party. :fgo_ereshlove: Even if they’re not the best performing team, I don’t care, I support them because it’s like a passion and their legacy has been no small talk in my country.
So, happy anniversary for them too!

As per usual, feel free to revive this kind of thread if you would love to share any form of appreciation to the character in context, in this case, Altena!

…Now, to play Secret of Evermore. :fgo_ereshpeek:

Subscribers

Hit up that subscribe option at the #poll in my Silque appreciation thread or request me here if you’d like to be notified of future releases. :catdance:

(Mentions)

= Self-reminder those users requested to get only one-time notifications per thread, here in the OP.

@_Help_Me, @CluelessStray, @CrystalElemental, @dimitrisnoodlehair, @Erk, @Fresh_Tomatoes, @George_Calibur, @KManoc, @Kuribabylon52, @LiesLiesLies, @MisoSoup247, @NickofTime80, @NPCLucario, @Orilla, @PessimistPuglet, @RoysOurBoy, @seiken, @Skworter, @Vegi, @VivatVeritas, @zthielman

24 Likes

Very nice and interesting build. :smiley:
With so much premium fodder. :D

Also very nice appreciation post for Altena. :smiley:

Will we get a genealogy bridal banner?!^^"

7 Likes

That’s a great looking Altena you got there! Congrats on finishing her :catclap:

5 Likes

I know I made my own post about it, but man she’s been really good for me too.

5 Likes

Queen of Gen 2

No doubt

Vialnite

Tempenite

Izusibiki

6 Likes

I love Altena she is very badass but also kind and compassionate and I love her design. She got translated into feh very well, top tier art and very good voice acting, also good statline and being a 4 star is even better, she is at +9 but I haven’t figured out a build I’m satisfied with yet :feh_tooobin:

6 Likes

Altena’s story is very good. I think I come to like her more than Leif. Actually, I do not know.

She is a literate and older Nino. But it reminds us a lot of the kindness, only more mature.

Her being downgraded to 4 * and having her gun was great. And its design I think is very beautiful. And a woman in Wyvern looks good. It refers to Minerva’s words why she chose Wyvern and abandoned the pegasus.

The idea of ​​Genealogy / Thracia is brilliant. Just see uncovered with Sakurai, Sakaguchi and others.

Not to mention that it also had engineering and ideas from some of the greatest geniuses for me in games. Gunpei Yokoi.

Kaga left for fights and we know the reasons. But Nintendo has a cool thing. Keep the essence. And it gave me joy to know that he talked to the people of Nintendo and everything was fine. When the remake of the New Mystery came out.
He left us that legacy.

Triangle of weapons, permanent death, each character is important, supports and inherit power.

She is also not very well remembered but Yuka, although not very well remembered, made great tracks and was one of the first women to compose for games.

And to think that Fire Emblem was already modern for its time. But unfortunately it was only playable in Japan. There are good stories about that.

And just thanking you for the post is not only your favorite game but also Mr. Sakurai’s.

Your Altena is great and happy for your conclusion.
I like big text even more if you want to write. The only big text I’m afraid of is the Prf in Feh.

And your club is big here in South America. I hope soon that the fans will be able to go to see their team in the stadium and feel the human warmth.

4 Likes

I think I had an opportunity for Spirited lance but it was that or some other premium skill like Guard Bearing or Bracing stance, so I chose the skill instead. I really wanted it for a pseudo special fighter build.

Still need 200k feathers to +10 her.

Kind of thinking of running deflect melee to block first and second attacks to charge up her eventual Ignis and go BIGnis, or maybe just sol/noontime to really screw with people since she has Fatal Smoke.

2 Likes