• PvP - there are still bugs that need to be ironed out, but I really like the feature. As a fairly competitive player, to me, PvP is the endgame (as it was for some players in main series as well). I had my doubts about how PvP would turn out in this game and I have to admit, Niantic did a pretty good job implementing it.
• Events - while I don’t love everything about events (more on this in the “dislikes” section), I do like that they keep the game fresh/interesting with some events being better than others.
• Raids - the Discord group that I’m a part of really took off when raids went live back in 2017 and it has continued to grow ever since! Raids have been a continued driving force for our community in terms of keeping people interested, engaged, and working together as a team.
• The Community - I consider myself very fortunate to be part of a community where very little toxicity exists. People are generally very kind, helpful, and welcoming. I’ve met some pretty fantastic people and made quite a few friends through this game.
• Shinies - I’m sure this one won’t make the list for some people, but I really like the surprise factor when you stumble upon/hatch a shiny. For me, it makes the thrill of the hunt more exciting. Typically, I won’t hunt specifically for shinies (because I would probably burn out), so I just play how I normally do and take shiny encounters as a welcomed surprise.
Communication - While Niantic has gotten better about this in some regards, they’ve also dropped the ball plenty of times. Not to mention when the info from their Tweets sometimes differs from what their in-game announcements say.
• Capitalizing on FOMO - This is the part of events that I don’t like, especially when special (and often amazing) moves are given to Mons that are limited to a window of a few hours. The fact that these moves can’t be TM’d onto existing Mons is annoying, but the worst, Imo, is that several Mons go from zero to hero with these moves. Venusaur? Metagross? Charizard? They’re amazing with their community day moves. If you missed out though, then they’re actually very mediocre.
• 2nd Charge Move Unlock Cost - I feel like the cost here is far too high, and serves as an unnecessary barrier to entry that keeps more casual players away from PvP. When I’ve talked to people in my local group about why they don’t PvP, usually the #1 answer is they can’t afford the hundreds of thousands (in some cases, millions) of stardust it would cost them to unlock second moves for their Mons. And that doesn’t even factor in the candy costs. Niantic can add all the new/cool features to PvP, but they won’t necessarily draw in new players if they feel locked out due to a cost barrier.
• Gyms - while I will admit that gyms are far more accessible to newer/lower level players these days compared to the old days of 10-deep Blissey towers, I feel that they are now far less interesting. In my experience, gyms are either a) exceptionally easy to tear down, (if left demotivated, you can plow through the whole gym with the random crap your Plus caught on the way there) or b) borderline impossible to tear down if being watched by multiple accounts with GR to spare.
• The dodge bug. Need I say more?