AR Astra Budget unit discussion

For a good while now I’ve REALLY been struggling to decide on what unit to build up for AR Astra season. I’ve thought of maybe using Setsuna or Sophia but I’ve really been indecisive. Another problem is that I lack rare fodder since I’ve been saving my orbs for arena units.

By any chance are there good budget units (skill-wise), that can be used in AR? Just as a side note, I do have plenty of Divine Codes so I do have a few options there, but I’m still unsure.

1 Like

Could do this norne for a solid budget ranged tank:

Support her with Rinea for ~70 mixed bulk vs ranged foes(71/73 to be exact - counting fireflood dance)

Both are shown with 1x Altina and 1x Naga

For a bit more expensive give her either lull atk/def or lull atk/spd in her b slot and/or spendthrift bow for more atk and slightly more bulk

1 Like

That build does look quite useful!

However, I lack the copies of Norne to merge her which is a bit of a problem.

I could use setsuna as an alternative, since her new weapon is quite effective and I could use the same build. But I’ll keep this build in mind!

2 Likes

Even unmerged norne(which I should have used) would still be hitting in the mid-to-high 60’s for bulk and since this is astra you don’t need to worry about bramimond coming in and ruining your fun.
Not sure about setsuna as I haven’t really looked into her yet. She’s a much older unit so I doubt she’ll have the same bulk BUT obviously a +10/+10 setsuna would have more stats than +0/+0 norne. One problem that I do have with ranged tank setsuna(at least on paper) is that her Yumi actually gives less bulk than the guard bow. And if you +eff refine(which you should the refine is decent) you’re further losing out on bulk and hp. Generally speaking spec +4 is better than def/res +6 BUT if you’re looking for an ar tank than every bit of bulk counts as those nukes can get pretty nasty

2 Likes

I suppose that’s true.

Also just wondering, is Matthew a good budget unit? I’ve heard he can be effective with his Spy’s dagger, Close Conuter, and vantage.

It’s just the main problem is that I’ve never used vantage strategies before, so it would be difficult to get my head around it.

2 Likes

Broadleaf dagger is nasty. Especially if you have Duo micaiah, he’ll kill anything in sight. I would necessarily recommend a vantage strat as your primary carry in astra season though as that is Altina’s season and it didn’t take long for defense teams to learn how to deal with her. That’s not to saying vantage in astra isn’t possible - just that it’s an uphill battle.
As vantage sweepers go though? Matthew, Kronya, and minimarth are probably the best in the game(with possible shootouts to saizo and f!corrin). Broadleaf daggers stack so much atk extremely easily

2 Likes

And if you really have your heart set on setsuna, then just more or less copy/paste the norne skillset I showed onto setsuna. It can work on basically any ranged unit with hallways decent bulk. Your unit gains +24 def/res from distant def/guard stacking so pretty much anything can be a tank at that point

1 Like

Matthew could be a decent consideration since I already have a virion built and merged for all my debuff needs.

But Kronya and Saizo are some interesting choices too!

1 Like

Kronya having vantage based in foe’s hp and freed b slot lets her pull some fun shenanigans. Particularly of note are disarm trap(allowing her to take out healing towers consistently) and NCD(allowing her to vantage razzle-dazzle). Also of note is that her access to vantage at full-hp - along with her rather high hp stat - allows her to work around hardy bearing units more easily than most other vantage units
Saizo/F!Corrin can gain +7 spec rather easily and could theoretically tank as well as vantage but their ability to gain bulk along with atk is I think why they’re also favored. Again, you can tank a punch from the hardy bearing unit of choice and even in vantage range you may still survive a hit from a foe who didn’t die

1 Like

Brunnya, Norne, Kronya, high atk broadleaf users are the best choices. next best would probably be the bulkier vantage daggers (Matthew, Saizo, Gangrel), Tharja, Sophia. Hit and run with typical f2p cavs is viable in astra as well.

plenty of good f2p options, but all of them will require premium fodder to perform well and tackle good defense maps, most of them more than one. Matthew/Tharja are probably the “cheapest” due to only needed close counter, but they will have mixed results in Astra, especially on a budget without premium support.

4 Likes

I just realised!

I forgot I had this guy lying around in my barracks!

He will of course need to be tweaked a little but he could be really useful since he is already merged!

1 Like

he’s serviceable, and infinitely better than no team lol.

But definitely expect tough matches and mixed results with Saizo/Matthew in Astra, and his build will need some tweaking.

3 Likes

Would something like this be a little better?

While he might not be very strong, he at least means I don’t have to use up anything valuable in my barracks for the time being! Gives me more time to think on other units I can build.

2 Likes

Moonbow over glimmer but you’ll be fine besides that. For vantage strats bolt traps are your friend. I would suggest running him with either a m!corrin or b!Lucina with double drive atk, shove, and atk/x link. M!corrin is preferred here for soaking bright shrines(and Yato giving more stats) but b!Lucina is also good as she would let him proc moonbow every other combat(she also lets Altina proc twin blades every combat when you have to use her). Marth can also work here but he would be the most budget option and the least effective(though he could still give +8 atk and +2 def/res/spd so not terrible)

1 Like

yeah it’d work. But many units you cannot snipe or pulse smoke will melt him. Unfortunately, pulse smoke is huge for Saizo.

the support options you have are almost as important as the carry.

3 Likes

Why is pulse smoke bad for him?

huge as in critically important

1 Like

Oh yeah lol. Tbh though wouldn’t something lime joint drive atk be better? Sure less consistency vs AoE’s but more consistent one-shots

Corrin would make for an effective support but doesn’t Virion synergise better with Saizo since of all the Debuffs he provides?

Or would Naga/Altina provide chill skills support?

1 Like

Well his weapon hits every foe nearby with spec-6 and he has the stats to go one round normally. Or if you step on a bolt trap then whatever was near that bolt trap lost a lot of health and will make for an easy kill. Either way after foe #1 every enemy you fight should be hit by spec-6 for debuffing. Virion can be good but the idea with corrin/lucina/marth is twofold: one is bright shrine soak with l&d(altina usually gets hit by the dark shrines), and give him more atk for more one-shots. When you’re in vantage mode you either one-shot or die and the +11 atk Corrin can give goes a LONG way towards that. For example, with 1x Altina, m!corrin supporting with double drive atk, a +6atk field buff, and a -6atk debuff on your foe, your saizo would have 74atk during combat. That is nothing to sneeze at and especially after your bolt tower procs it has a very high chance of ko’ing your opponent in one hit
Edit: forgot to count his brazen seal so that would actually be 81atk when he’s in vantage mode

1 Like