Wanted to share some of my work trying to compose a galeforce team and see if people have ideas.
One of the concerns that I have if I’m trying to make a galeforce strategy is that they’ll tuck their traps tight against the front line and I can’t get close enough to trip them in advance. There are also situations where they’re frontlining with guard or special fighter or steady stance 4 or sometimes even just some unit with a ton of def (ex: stack two ward cavalry on Cain and he has, like, 40 def with almost no investment? And then add, say, fury and close def and he has like 50 def.) Since I always advocate bringing a ranged unit anyways for clearing buildings and hitting behind traps on the turn after the opponent starts advancing towards us (if we don’t kill most of them in one turn), my idea is let’s find some kind of unit that will crack open a square for a galeforcer.
Estimates of the bulk of tankier frontliners (including buffs, which may be visible or invisible. High HP opponents may be resistant to panic)
HP: rarely exceeds 60 (I’ve seen some armours around this high); almost never exceeds 70.
Def: 50-55 is not unheard of.
Res: Definitely need to be prepared for 40 visible res with in-combat boosts behind.
So we can use that to make some benchmarks OHKO (and during Yune’s season you might have a hard time doubling, plus there’s stuff like wary fighter and Thunder Armads)
99.9% success rate: 120 physical bulk, 112 magical bulk
99% success rate: 115 physical bulk, 108 magical bulk
95% success rate: 110 physical bulk, 105 magical bulk
80% success rate: 100 physical bulk, 95? magical bulk
Magical bulk assumes no AoE. I’m not sure how to make a benchmark if we’re using blazing Ophelia, but she probably has a win rate >80%. The potential issue is that you might chip heavily one of the units you want to use for a galeforce activation.
Infantry pulse is an option, but keep in mind that tactics teams are limited to one infantry pulse effected on one unit, and most galeforce teams want a 3mvt galeforcer. QP is also an option, but the non-infantry galeforcer might want it.
Some of the ideas I’ve tried:
- Sothe 5*+10 +6DF +atk: ouch pouch+spd, death blow 4 + atk seal = 102 physical bulk on dragon fang, 108 if we buff with hone atk 3.
- Saizo 5*+10 +9DF +atk: ouch pouch+def, sturdy impact, atk/def 2 seal = 101 physical bulk on ignis, 108 if we buff with both hone atk 3 and fortify def 3.
- Dark Excalibur on Merric 5*+10 +6DF +atk: sturdy impact + atk/def2 seal = 104 magical bulk on ignis. NB he’s extremely difficult to infantry pulse. Way too much HP. Raven and Ogma might be the only reasonable galeforcers who can pulse him, and he still needs one more unless we give up atk/def2 for QP.
- L.Alm (I don’t have him though): neutral IV, death blow 3 + atk seal + all prfs = 60 atk + 8 damage from Lunar Flash from his spd + 45% of opponent’s def. 60HP opponents need only 16ish def to survive. He will probably need to hit twice, which might not be such an issue when he comes with null follow-up.
- W.Cecilia+1 +2DF: ouch pouch + luna + death blow 3 + bold fighter + buffed with atk tactic (luna activates even if they have guard): 60HP opponent needs 43 def to survive, which makes her about equal with the Sothe and Saizo I looked at above. She can surpass them by merging a bit more and using death blow 4, and on some teams she won’t need armoured boots so that’s an atk+3 seal. Do be careful because some wary fighters might have enough spd to block her double.
- Lilina 4*+10 +2DF +atk: Forblaze+eff + death blow 3 + atk seal + glimmer. 60HP opponent needs 33 res if they’re red or colourless, 37 if we buff Lilina with hone atk 3. I find the win rate worse than the others.
- Lilina 5*+10 +6DF +atk: Same build but death blow 4. 60HP opponent needs 38 res if they’re red or colourless, 41 if we buff with hone atk 3
- Ophelia +3DF neutral: L&D, watersweep (because frontliners usually don’t vantage except Duma and maybe Ares), atk+3, blazing light. 60HP opponent needs 37 res to survive if all of it is visible res. Could also do a few points less visible res if they have some wards or something.
- Some kind of blade tome, but dull ranged and DD4 shut it down.
- Making two different galeforce teams with different can-openers. For example, Ophelia can cover reds and frontliners who have poor visible res, and maybe W.Cecilia can beat most of the rest because if they’re working on their res it’s harder to work on their def as well, or maybe put Lilina because we think the frontliner will get chilled.