Breaking News - Summoner Duels Still Not Fun

I decided to play a round of regular Summoner Duels after several weeks of not touching the game mode. I haven’t maxed my favor level, so I have a lot of useful resources left to earn.

I queued up for a round, and after a 20-30 second wait I found myself in this match:

Immediately after I saw this screen, I had questions.
Why was this person still playing this game mode?
Hadn’t they already earned all of their rewards?
And why was I matched with them?
Was there nobody else available with a comparable favor level?
How many people are even still playing this mode?

I put these questions aside, and the match started. By Turn 2, the board looked like this:

Being a bit stupid rusty, I didn’t check the other captain’s stats and abilities. I figured that my Masked Marth could survive at least one hit.

This is what the board looked like 1 round of combat later:

And for anyone curious, this is the build that their captain was using:

You can imagine how well the rest of the round went. The only unit I had who could even put a dent in Alm was my Brave Veronica - who did a grand total of 1 damage.

I’m struggling to form a coherent response from a mix of confusion, frustration, and resignation. I did type up a pretentious, passive-aggressive “open letter to Summoner Duels” earlier, and I almost posted it. I was ready to rant about how unfair this match was, and how broken this game mode still is.

I stopped when I realized that nothing I was saying was remotely original, and that everything that happened to me (unfair though it was) has already happened to many other players.
And as much as I would like to ramble on with petty criticisms of Summoner Duels, channeling that part of my personality probably wouldn’t be healthy for me or for anyone who happened to read my post.
So I’m posting this instead, as my own personal form of copium.
Hopefully those of you with similar stories will understand.

15 Likes

@_Help_Me

8 Likes

@_Help_Me

8 Likes

@_Help_Me

10 Likes

@_Help_Me

8 Likes

@_Help_Me

7 Likes

Yeah, SD really does suck, as I’ve been saying.

You know, someone really should have @ ed me for this.

17 Likes

oh i got you man

@_Help_Me

8 Likes

@_Help_Me

8 Likes

Your first mistake was underestimating Brave Alm.

12 Likes

i dunno why noone gets Panic Ploy or any Panic stuff in Book 3 and lower
People just like to ultra buff Units (which is fun) and your B!Lucina couldve simply hard countered Alm since he also has no True Damage and was apparently built for Dragons/Mages
Sure you might not get a hit in with his weapon, but he most likely wouldn’t be able to kill her in any regard so that means you’ve a pretty good chance beating the shit out of him
B!Alm is a pretty common pick in Book 3 and lower (one of the best Gen 3 Units and so on), so if u dont like him build your team around destroying him when hes your biggest problem (which I can say hes not lmao, there’re way stronger Units even in Book 3 and lower)

9 Likes

Even then, if M!Marth couldn’t handle Alm well then I doubt that they’d have been able to do significant damage to him even if they respected Alm’s presence the way they needed to. This was an L from sheer overpowering in my eyes, and it’s something that most players have to come to face and accept in this gamemode because gacha.

At this point, it’s either build better or continue dying. If heavy theorycrafting, field testing, and budgeting resources focused more on strength over pure favorites isn’t someone’s thing, then it’s really hard for this gamemode to be fun.

Can’t win 'em all. Best thing players can do whenever shit like this happens is to carry on regardless of how unfair it feels. Dwelling too hard on terrible losses does more harm on a player’s mental than good.

6 Likes

I honestly don’t blame OP for not having panic around, ploys look difficult to use on this map so you’re left with pretty much just panic staves and panic smoke unless they have good lull coverage.

12 Likes

Thats why my Alm runs Ploy and Sudden Panic :catdance:
Those bitches that think they can run around freely with buffs have never seen my 70+ HP Panic monster :catknife:

9 Likes

@_Help_Me ?

6 Likes

Oh boy I can’t wait for the next book’s gimmicky new PvP game mode that will depend on the new powercreep specifically made for it to stay relevant

6 Likes

And it’s defending green units

1 Like

Let me jump in the @_Help_Me train.

5 Likes

That’s because it 100% is.

And building better isn’t going to do much with these units when you’ve got stuff like that and the Save meta staring you down like the Pillar Men.

Like Merric blows these units up easily but if I instantly have another storm in for the kill its a dodgy game.

Oh and ofc @_Help_Me

6 Likes

Oh, this looks fun!

@_Help_Me

7 Likes