Characters Who Make You Feel

We all know how well written characters can make you feel sad, happy, excited :eyes:, etc.

What are some characters that come to mind for yall? Doesn’t have to be FE exclusive either

One that recently comes to mind for me is Mordin from Mass Effect 3 since the Legendary Edition came to Game Pass. His self sacrifice, his regret, and his last words/cutscene especially hits the feels.

16 Likes

Ferdinand from 3h, Shirou Emiya from the fate franchise, Shigeo from Mob Psycho 100, Simon and Nia fom Gurren Lagann and Shirogane + Iino from Kaguya-sama off the top of my head.
Sorry if I named too many

13 Likes

I guess Nia of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is an obvious given how hashtag relatable her character arc is but also Rex, Pyra, and Mythra are also all well written and so is the relationship between em. Seriously without going into spoilers just thinking about a certain cutscene near the end of chapter 7 and everything past the final boss is enough to make me feel emotional

12 Likes

Hmm…well, starting in FE, Lucina and Elinca just feel so goddamn human. They are both strong individuals with equally strong ideals, but they are still human. They have genuine mental breakdowns, and it’s painful to watch because you want to help them so badly, but you can’t. It makes them feel very real, in a way most video game characters don’t to me.

A different video game now, Mythra from XC2 Torna. In the base game she’s just kinda a stereotypical tsundere, and she does have some things that make her more interesting, but it’s not fleshed out like it is in Torna. In Torna everything comes together and you feel terrible for her. An extremely complex character, all her actions in the base game start to make sense, as does her behavior. She is literally traumatized by her own power.
Same game, Jin is an amazing antagonist. Not only do you feel bad for him because of his tragic backstory, he’s a genuinely terrifying opponent to face in combat, because he’s an absolute powerhouse. Very well done.

I thought about this one for a bit, but in the end, yes, Isaac Clark (Dead Space) is a very effective character I think. His complete denial of reality, his insanity, his mind fucking with him at every turn ends up being compelling. The writing itself isn’t perfect, but how well it blends with gameplay mostly makes up for that. By the third game he’s basically a shell of a human being, who is somewhat justifiably paranoid.

Honorable mentions until I inevitably think of more later: Idunn, Edel, Dream (from Neil Gaiman’s “Sandman,” Onizuka (Great Teacher Onizuka), Excalibur (from Soul Eater, purely because, hey, he is funny)

15 Likes

I’ll admit I’m not super attached to most of the cast from the FE games I’ve played (well okay, mostly cause I haven’t played Awakening or Fates in full in about 5ish years), but Claude, Owain, and the Morgans are some I can name off the top of my head. Those three always bring a great big smile on my face! All of there dialogue is a treat, and I love their personalities!

As for outside of FE, well THAT’S a long list.

But some notable examples are

Riku from Kingdom Hearts: Seriously, that guy’s character arc kicks so much ass even to this day. That bit in KHIII when he’s the one giving Sora an inspiring speech near the end of the game, then immediately following up with a totally badass moment of him shielding Sora from the Demon Tide :feh_corrinperfect: Not to mention the amazing dynamic between him and Ansem (seriously, Ansem’s death speech still gets me every time)

The Clown from Dead by Daylight: So admittedly I may be cheating with this one, since the only writing he has is his base description and his Archive lore, but MAN if this guy isn’t someone I love to hate. I always love me a good unforgivable villain! If you want a abhorrent, disgusting, inhuman monster it’s this freak. Like take the best parts of every single murderous clown and you get this guy. But the best part about him is that, he’s still a Clown! Like he hams up everything he does! He’s got such a high opinion of himself, making a scuffle with a raccoon that’s been digging through his trash out to be some grand battle! Plus being a big ol coughing and wheezing ball of lard running around chucking bottles at people is still a hilarious thought, barring the morbid context.

Barret from FF7: Good god. I love this guy. He can go from big intimidating dude to eco-preacher to Dad of the Year on a dime and I just love every single moment of it! And I am SO glad the Remake did him justice! And did I mention just how much I love his relationship with Marlene?God it’s so cute! :feh_sylvainlove:

I’d think of more and probably go into better detail with the ones I mentioned, but it’s like 1 and I’m sleepy :feh_lynsleep:

16 Likes

Well Galuf from FF5 was really emotional in his final fight against Exdeath.
I always get moved by Cyan in the Doma arc, Celes and Locke, Strago and Relm, Sabin and Edgar all in the final cutscene the ending is really emotional as they try to escape from Kefka tower, and you see like the teamwork and good relationship each character have in the end, not letting die those you love, looking out for each other and remember the ones important in your life.

13 Likes

Yes to all of this :feh_hridexcited: Stan Riku :feh_navarreculture:

9 Likes

Manuela is genuinely a pretty compelling character because of how much she has achieved in life and she still kind of doubts herself because she’s still single.

She’s achieved a lot in life by being an acclaimed songstress and she knows that but she can’t help but feel her life is still missing something because she’s never settled down and had a family.

It’s very easy to write her off as simply the fan service character, despite the fact she is one of the characters who helps Edelgard understand the purpose of the church to the point where Edelgard genuinely feels bad for taking down the church because of people like Manuela.

She’s a fun entertaining character that also has a surprising amount of depth to her that can be easy to miss if you just don’t interact with her.

16 Likes

I think my problem with Manuela is the same problem I have with a lot of 3H characters: her good points (and as you illustrated, she does have quite a few of them) are buried under what the game pushes in front of you, in this case the fan service.

9 Likes

As for me, sooo many characters make me feel things. I also have really strong emotions which are currently causing me physical pain but yeah :feh_nini:

Won’t really explain because it’s late and there’s so many but

• Riku from Kingdom Hearts (as said above)
  • Aqua from Kingdom Hearts
  • Sora from Kingdom Hearts
  • The sea salt trio quartet from Kingdom Hearts (Roxas, Xion, Lea/Axel, Isa/Saïx)
  • The Faerghus 4 from 3H (Dimitri, Felix, Sylvain, Ingrid)
  • Lyon from Sacred Stones
  • Tethys from Sacred Stones
  • Joshua from Sacred Stones
  • Kaeya and Diluc from Genshin
  • Kazuha from Genshin
  • Thoma from Genshin
  • Xiao from Genshin
  • Soren and Claudia from The Dragon Prince
  • Tony Stark from Marvel
  • Peter Parker (MCU specifically, that poor boy has been through SO MUCH :feh_mariannecry:)
  • BUCKY BARNES FROM MARVEL I WANT TO HUG THAT BOY AGAIN HES BEEN THROUGH SO MUCH GAVSJABSJJA :feh_mariannecry:
  • Natasha Romanoff from Marvel
  • Zuko from Avatar the Last Airbender
  • Newt from The Maze Runner
  • Finnick from The Hunger Games
  • Arthur from Merlin
  • Merlin from Merlin
  • Morgana from Merlin
  • Gwaine from Merlin
  • Julian Bashir from Star Trek DS9
  • Jadzia Dax from Star Trek DS9
  • Ralph Dibny from The Flash
  • Hunter from The Owl House

I think that’s all off the top of my head

16 Likes

I can see why that can be an issue with some people but with Manuela it at least makes sense. She’s so desperate and flirty with Byleth (in the main storyline anyways, support Manuela is honestly pretty obvious in showing how much a mess of a person she is), because that’s who she is.

It doesn’t feel out of her place to do something like that or dress the way she does because she’s desperate for attention and a soul mate.

Though honestly half the reason I like Manuela is because despite being the sexy character she is very much not perfect and she’s a huge literal mess and honestly I don’t see that with characters who fill the same character type she does. I kinda appreciate it.

Basically she feels like an actual character, sexy characters tend to have this issue a lot where they fulfill the role of being sexy and that’s all they are. But Manuela feels like an actual person who does things besides… be sexy? idk its late and i can’t explain it well lmao

14 Likes

Which reminds me, Peter Parker again, but from the “Ultimates” series of comic books.

It’s a spider man comic book that in a way is more about Peter Parker than Spider Man. And you know what? It’s really fucking interesting. You feel so bad for Peter, who keeps getting the shit blown out of his life. His enemies keep finding out who he is, and everyone seems to hate him (JJ Jameson, obviously, but also almost everyone else). But he’s got such a good moral compass he just keeps trying, and keeps correspondingly getting the shit kicked out of him again in ways no one imagined.

13 Likes

And just about on the opposite end of the spectrum is me lol (very weak and sparse emotions with very few characters that make me feel things) so I might as well post some of mine. :fgo_gamerjeanne:

• Yuu from Bloom Into You
  • Phosphophyllite from Land of the Lustrous
  • Burrich from the Farseer trilogy
  • FitzChivalry from the Farseer trilogy
  • Lyra from His Dark Materials
10 Likes

Feeling a lot is such an inconvenience lmao

12 Likes

Eh, it has it’s advantages and disadvantages :fgo_jeannyes:

11 Likes

Mash Kyrielight, Solomon arc, FGO

Summary

GOETIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Patxi, Lostbelt 1, FGO

Summary

PATXIIIIIIIIII

:feh_sharenacry:

And Lif, because I can’t stop myself from being privately edgy when I’m alone. I just can’t help but wonder how painful his existence is.

9 Likes

Ah, I see you’re a man of culture as well :feh_navarreculture:

Yup, there’s a lot of characters that make me feel just hearing their name… :catcry: It may not look like it but I really tried to keep it short:

• Meruem and Komugi from Hunter X Hunter
  • Himura Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin
  • Marnie from When Marnie was There
  • Uncle Iroh from Avatar: The Last Airbender
  • Godot from Ace Attorney
  • Professor Layton and Claire from Professor Layton
  • Marin from The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
  • Aerith from Final Fantasy 7
  • Chloe Price from Life is Strange
  • Johan Liebert from Monster

As for Fire Emblem, that’s a difficult one. Lyon and Pelleas come to mind… but I gotta give this one to Byleth. It was heart breaking to see a character that shows so little emotion break down when a certain character dies. Don’t want to get too much into spoiler territory, but Sothis is also related to this pick in a way.

15 Likes

Since positive feelings are also included, I add Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner to my list.

Both were essentially the apex of comedy when I was a kid (and to an extent, still are now). They are hilarious, and Roadrunner is still one of my favorite cartoons of all time.

11 Likes

I’ll be super cliche and say Cloud and Aerith relationship from FF7. Two lone souls (the unsocial soldier and the orphan flower girl) who leave the player totally heartbroken (that disc 1 ending… oh my god I was traumatised the first time I played it).

Also I’m always the only one talking about this franchise, but Gremio from Suikoden, a loyal friend who gives his life for the player and definitely Flik and Odessa, another tragic relationship.

Suikoden-212
f06c70907b355513cde8eeddabc6e240

Finally I’m also surprised nobody mentioned Oliver from Ni No Kuni… I’m not crying… I’m not…
Oliver_10

12 Likes

I don’t indulge in that much media (I generally listen to music and/or make my own stuff) but there are a couple that hold a special place in my heart

• Pretty much any character from Hollow Knight, especially Hornet and THK themselves. Just great.
  • Luffy from One Piece. Maybe the best protagonist ever. And since I’m talking about One Piece, Chopper as well.
  • Grovyle from PMD: Explorers of Sky is a pretty basic one, but one that still hits really hard to this day.
  • N from Pokemon Black and White doesn’t necessarily pull on my heart strings, but I do think he is quite well-written, and I love him.
  • To throw in a Fire Emblem one - Edelgard. Don’t think I need to expand much.
  • Oh, and Hardin because fallen heroes are my favourite!
  • Glados is one of my favourite “antagonists” ever, and generally just really fantastic.
  • Kris from DELTARUNE, and Gaster from UNDERTALE, although conventional picks, are just great.
  • Bit of a weird pick and one that I fill in a lot with fanon, but Michael Afton from FNAF is chefs kiss
  • Oh, and every character from Petscop.
11 Likes