CQ Magazine (2): A Splash of Summer Style

With summer now firmly in the rearview mirror, it seems as good a time as any to crack open Chaldea Quarterly’s Summer Edition and reflect on the highlights of the various summer swimsuits and costume dresses Chaldea has to offer. I’ve decided to pick one winner from each summer event and one runner up, based on both the quality of the outfits and the quantity of good outfits. Without further ado, let’s start from the top.

Summer 1: Chaldea Summer Memory

RUNNER-UP

Scathach only has one outfit to show for the summer, but one is really all she needs. Her striking pink bikini would easily work on its own, but the airy pink wrap and pink blossom in her air adds a nice touch of summer sophistication that elevates this outfit above a normal swimsuit. She even knows how to accessorize the throwing knife holster with the rest of her outfit. Truly, Scathach knows how to make every inch of her swimwear work for her.

—————

WINNER

With three outfits beautiful enough to win in their own right, Marie’s triple crown proves the Princess of Loveliness isn’t her skill name for nothing. Keeping it simple but sweet, her red one-piece is modest but perfectly cute and eyecatching (and the crab in her hair is an adorable touch). Her white beach dress and hat are even more modest but no less lovely, proving that less can sometimes be more. Simple, radiant, and lovely, this outfit brings Marie’s effortless elegance to the forefront. And in her final outfit, Marie absolutely dazzles in an eyecatching blue two-piece with a frilled dress to the back and a blue-ribboned hat that adds an exceptional pop to the whole ensemble. All in all, Marie is quite possibly Chaldea’s best-dressed summer Servant to date.

==========================================

Summer 2: Dead Heat Summer Race

RUNNER-UP

While her clunky, floating, metal shoulder pads may be questionable choice of accessory, there’s no deny Nero has a certain summer flair. While her default bikini in Ascension 1 is perfectly adequate, and the added white robe in Ascension 3 proves a nice touch, it’s her Ascension 2 that stands out. The cute red dress has the right amount of frills and bows to be catching without going over the top, and the red flower in her hair proves a much better choice of accessory than the metal contraptions on either side of her.

—————

WINNER

While she may struggle to act the part of a queen, Nitocris proves she has no trouble looking the part. Her first Ascension may be adorable, and her second cute despite its simplicity, it’s her third outfit that blows the rest of the summer 2 Servants away. Like Scathach before her, Nitocris builds on her simple white bikini with a sweeping white dress and the right touch of frills and bows to make everything pop. With her elegant gold tiara on top, Nitocris looks every inch a queen.

Summer 3: Summer Servant Festival

RUNNER-UP

While Ibaraki has always been a standout Servant in the story to me, style isn’t something I’d ordinarily associate with her. And yet, taking to the beach, Ibaraki proves she has a surprisingly keen eye for style. In her second Ascension, Ibaraki chooses a simple but stylish one-piece and adds a pink and white floral wrap for a pop of color that gives her a lovely beach flower look. The coloration of her feet and tattoos even works to blend with her overall color scheme, and the oversized blossom in her hair adds a nice, festive touch to pull the look together.

—————

WINNER

Here at CQ, our tastes lean more toward elegance and sophistication, but there are some stylistic choices that just demand to be noticed. Jeanne Alter brings a bold and powerful look to the beach with a black bikini, sharp black jacket, and black gloves. The red trim across her bathing suit and jacket adds a nice, sharp touch of color to the otherwise dark ensemble, and the choice of asymmetric sleeve length and asymmetric red stocking is truly inspired. Jalter proves her sense of style is as ferocious as her battle prowess.

Summer 4: Las Vegas Tournament

RUNNER-UP

Nearly overlooked for her bunny girl gimmick, Arturia second Ascension proved to be a pleasant surprise. A vision in white, Arturia builds on her elegant one-piece swimsuit with shimmering, lacy wrap around her shoulders and things. With the white hat and white parasol adding a layer of sophistication to her ensemble, Bunnytoria shows her summer style extends far beyond the limitations of her name.

—————

WINNER

While one’s outfit is a large contributing factor to one’s overall sense of style, attitude is a powerful secret ingredient to the mix. Carmilla can’t be beat in this summer lineup, and she knows it. In her first Ascension, the long pink dress and hat give her a bold, femme fatale flair, with a tantalizing hint of black sheer below the dress - a contrast to the impenetrable defense of her black shades. In her third Ascension, Carmilla flips the script with a slim, stylish bikini and a sheer black wrap around her shoulders with a bold, spidery style. In both cases, Carmilla manages to bring both an alluring heat and an austere cold to her style, with an attitude that can’t be beat.

Summer 5: Summer Servant Camp

RUNNER-UP

Kiara brings a beautiful, elegant look to summer 5 with a white bikini top and shell necklace that calls to mind the stark whiteness of a summer beach with a bikini bottom and truly eyecatching train of floral pink that brings a tropical lushness to her look. The pink threaded through her hair and pink blossoms in her hair ties everything altogether for a truly look.

—————

WINNER

The winner of Summer 5’s style was a very close call, but Brynhildr clinched it with two stunning outfits to Kiara’s one. Her daywear is simple but playful, using a simple white bikini and adding an elegant white train to elevate it. The splash of vibrant blue in her hair, the decorative wings, and the spiraling wings around the flower on her shoulder really bring the whole look to life. Transitioning to her evening wear, Brynhildr absolutely floors the competition with a beautifully elegant black dress and a touch of purple in addition to the blue that transforms her into majestic midnight. Summer, spring, winter, or fall - it’s a look that can’t be beat.

Do you agree with our picks, or do you have a ranking of your own? Leave your opinions below. Either way, we here at Chaldea Quarterly hope you enjoyed this summer edition. While that’s all we have for the ladies, we’re not quite done with summer yet! Come back for next edition, where we examine the male Servants’ summer costume dresses. You won’t want to miss it!

And if you missed out on our first edition, please be sure to check it out.

Chaldea Quarterly (Ed. 1)

CQ Magazine

16 Likes

Nice, I really like your picks :feh_ceciliaculture:

Ngl tho I love Nobbu’s Buster shirt style, it’s simple yet I would say it’s worthy of consideration. :feh_ceciliaculture:

5 Likes

Summer Nobu definitely has a sporty, varsity kind of style to her that works. Summer 2 has a good amount of competition, though, and cuts had to be made.

5 Likes

Nitocris as winner is all I cared about. Excellent picks Dapper! Impeccable taste :feh_ceciliaculture:

7 Likes

Thank you! :fgo_moriartysmile:

Yes, Nitocris was guaranteed the winning spot when I saw her third Ascension. In the list of all summer outfits across the board, hers is one of my favorites.

5 Likes

I haven’t seen much of the last two Summer events but I think I agree with what you’ve got here for the most part.

Would swap Scáthach and Marie’s places, put Ushiwakamaru for the runner up in Summer 3 (granted, I’m biased here) but beyond that we see basically eye to eye. Have to give a shout-out to SurfMo’s A2 though

Good taste. :catdance:

5 Likes

Honestly that Nito outfit is so good that I would buy it if it existed. It’s just gorgeous. Summer Bryn’s second ascension comes close, but really Assassin Nito is something else.

8 Likes

All good choices here, but I personally would’ve had Fran replace Nero.

3 Likes

I think the Church of Umu’s heretic hunters would have tracked me down if I didn’t at least give her runner-up. :fgo_casgilworry:

Fran’s first two outfits are fine. The only one I really like is the third one. The white aesthetic and flower is nice. But it’s also just bandages, which… made it a slightly uncomfortable choice.

9 Likes

Very interesting :fgo_elementarymydear:

5 Likes

Yet another splendid write-up. Indeed, this kind of verbose appreciation can only come from the Master with the most exquisite taste around here.

Truly an enjoyable read. If this were an actual physical magazine I would certainly have certainly purchased it by now.

3 Likes

Nice write up @DapperAndDandy, I agree with many of your choices. Surprisingly I hadn’t noticed Alty has asymmetrical sleeves… And I thought I’d paid attention! :joy:

Though I’m surprised the costumes for our dapper dudes didn’t get a mention after they dominate the first edition…

6 Likes

It’s mentioned at the end!

Come back for next edition, where we examine the male Servants’ summer costume dresses. You won’t want to miss it!

I was going to just do it all in one post, but this ended up taking way too long as is. :catsupine:

6 Likes

Good choices. I’ve only looked at Summer 1 - 3 to keep myself surprised on the future but they were good picks. Not sure if I agree on all the picks but I’d have to review their costumes to see if I disagree.

I like your pick of Summer Marie. I’m not too much of a fan of her 2nd Ascension but I agree its modesty works well for her and serves as a contrast to the other two ascensions, working well with her cuteness.

You surprised me on the Ibaraki and Jeanne picks for Summer 3 but I agree that Ibaraki’s flower and Jalter’s asymmetry work very well with them and stand out in a good way.

6 Likes

we have to withdraw the assassins lying in wait for the time being, grandpa didnt ■■■■ up entirely this time

3 Likes

NOW this is the content I look for 10/10

100% agree on NItocris absolute best. One of my favorite if not my favorite card art in the game too.

No love for Murasaki for JP summer :( - I loved her variety in outfits.

1 Like

Thank you! :fgo_moriartysmile:

As for Murasaki, she was a contender with her first outfit, but I don’t especially care for her second and third. Ultimately, I felt like Kiara’s was the stronger look.