CYL3 Brave Refine Hopes and Dreams

I’ve seen a few posts like this, where people will make up a hypothetical they’d like to see for refines or future characters, and I wanted to take a crack at one myself. Specifically, for something I am very excited for later this year: CYL3 Brave Refines. CYL3 has my favorite group overall, and is especially important because Micaiah is there. I wanted to come up with something that could realistically happen, based on effects already in the game, but still gives each a tremendous boost to their performance. Feedback and/or discussion is encouraged.

Brave Alm

Effective against Dragon foes. Grants Attack +3. If unit is not adjacent to an ally, grants Atk/Spd/Def/Res +5. If unit initiates combat, negates effects that prevent unit’s follow-up attacks.
If unit is not adjacent to an ally, negates foe’s bonuses and negates unit’s penalties during combat. If unit defeats a foe, grants unit an extra action (once per turn), and grants Atk/Spd/Def/Res +5 to unit through unit’s next action.

I wanted something that worked with Scendscale. Which is an unfortunate A-slot prf, so no DC, meaning he has to go all-in on player phase. The base weapon effect is pretty much identical, but with an addition of the offensive half of NFU. Scendscale does prevent the use of Swift Sparrow 3 or anything to raise his speed, but his default speed tier isn’t bad, and Scendscale is about OHKOing foes anyway.
For the refine, I decided to take a page out of L!Edelgard’s book and give him a free extra action. Instead of the solo condition, he has to KO the opponent, which should be easy with Scendscale. I also had it give him an active buff, +5 to all stats. The negation of buffs on foe and debuffs on self is because Alm won, and the winner of every CYL is loaded with effects, so this seemed a decent addition without being too much.
I debated giving him accelerated cooldown trigger, but decided against. With that and Heavy Blade seal, he’d always have three actions every turn. Even L!Edelgard needs to work for that third action, you know?

Brave Micaiah

Effective against armored and cavalry foes. Neutralizes “Effective against flying” bonuses. Grants Res +3. Grants bonus to Atk/Spd/Def/Res during combat = current penalty on each of target’s stats. Calculates each stat bonus independently.
At start of turn, inflicts Def/Res -6 on foes within 3 rows and columns. If [Penalty] is active on foe, unit makes a guaranteed follow-up attack.

I wanted Micaiah to have a niche no other green tome flier has: defensive ability. We have gotten a ton of green tome fliers, and they’re all offensive. Brave Micaiah doesn’t keep up well, because of her low speed and lack of guaranteed follow-ups under any condition. So, I decided to give her the tools needed to rectify those things. The base effect adds immunity to flying effective damage, while the refine offsets the speed issue by granting guaranteed doubles if the foe has a Penalty. Basically copying Yune, since this Brave alt is very focused on Micaiah channeling her abilities.
The last effect granted is meant to supplement Yune’s Whispers, and I took Arvis’ effect, which is fair because if a free unit can do this, so can a Brave. 3 row and columns, no stat check, -6 to defense and resistance. This means Micaiah will pretty regularly pack +6 to both defenses, and easily sets up the guaranteed follow-up. Also, I’m pretty sure skills activate in order down the list, which means the -6 Res debuff hits first, then Yune’s Whispers hits. So it should help set up her signature skill, which is what I wanted.
This was kind of a lot of effects, but I felt like they were all appropriate. After all, Brave Hector exists.

Brave Eliwood

Accelerates special trigger (cooldown count -1). Effective against dragon and beast foes. Grants Speed +3. If unit initiates combat, grants Atk/Spd/Def/Res +6 and special cooldown charge +1 per attack during combat.
If unit’s HP > 50% and unit initiates combat, unit makes a guaranteed follow-up attack before foe can make a counterattack. Reduces damage from foe’s first attack by 30%.

Brave Eliwood always felt really unfortunate. A player phase lance cav, without special cooldown acceleration? We got better lance cavs than him instantly with Sirius and Perceval. So, my goal here was to lean into that player phase focus. Give him that reduced trigger count, upgrade fro m+4 to +6 to all stats, and copy Blazing Durandal’s effect a bit for +1 cooldown count per attack. No one wants to be outclassed by base Eliwood. Especially not his Brave alt.
The refine focuses on getting Galeforce reliably. Inverse Desperation for 50% HP or more. I did consider lowering the threshold, but decided against because then it gets silly. I did, however, acknowledge Winter Bernadetta’s insistence on free damage reduction, and gave him a 30% reduction on foe’s first hit. This is for a bit of enemy phase protection. Not much with that res stat, but you know.
Also this one I like because it feels more like Ninian is supporting him with the lance. Galeforce focused is like her dancing, and the damage reduction is like Ninis’ Grace is applied, which boosted defenses during combat in the base game. It’s nice and thematic.

Brave Camilla

Foe cannot counterattack. If unit initiates combat, grants Atk/Spd +4 during combat. After combat, if unit attacked, inflicts Gravity on target and foes within 1 space of target.
Inflicts Atk/Spd/Res -4 on foes within 3 spaces during combat. If unit attacks, deals 7 damage to target and foes within 2 spaces of target after combat.

This was pretty basic, but I decided Brave Camilla was already stupid good and didn’t need much. Up the +3 for initiation to a simple Swift Sparrow 2, but otherwise keep the base effect.
The refine is meant to do two things: double up on her optimal C-skills, and mirror Kinshi Hinoka. Kinshi Hinoka has Atk/Spd/Def Rein, while Brave Camilla gets Atk/Spd/Res. This also means Brave Camilla can double up on Spd/Res Rein, which would be both funny and terrifying to me. The second is just Savage Blow for both phases. This is so she can reliably drop it as a C-skill for Double Rein while still having one of the best benefits for a healer, but also because Clarisse is one of my favorite units right now and this seemed like a fun effect for Camilla as well.

19 Likes

I don’t have any of these units built at all, but I really hope that eliwood and alm get something similar to what you came up with, especially since there are so many other units that do what they do but way better. Brave eliwood was honestly a joke compared to the others, so he needs a really busted refine especially.

9 Likes

Hm they look all great except, Bmicaiah is the only Micaiah who can actually be decently speedy if you invest a little bit (her B debuffs spd already and she gets the +6 spd too)
She has also access to rein that is great

I love the -6 def/Res and maybe all ad a blizzard effect like Ursula

6 Likes

I appreciate someone else actually saying they liked CYL3 for a change

Neutralizing Micaiah’s Flier weakness feels kinda pointless cause she doesn’t have the Def to tank Bows even with an effect like this (though I guess it becomes possible with enough investment), and the same for lowering Eliwood’s received damage since PP units usually don’t get EP protection like that. Bernie’s weapon is technically duel phase.

Love the rest of it though. I’ll have dreams of that Alm refine now.

6 Likes

I did debate going for a Blizzard effect, or even calculating it as true damage like a Dominance effect, but decided I couldn’t do both that and guaranteed follow-ups and had to decide on one or the other. I went with follow-ups for a reason…

Yes, with the Yune’s Whispers effect, a +Speed boon, Spd/Res Rein, and Swift Sparrow 3 on A instead, she’s pushing into low to mid-50s. But Yune’s Whispers is reliant on foes being adjacent; if it misses, she loses out, and is now mid to high-40s. Which isn’t exactly cutting it for a speedy build nowadays, you know? Guaranteed follow-ups are just more consistent, and I think thematically appropriate. Yune gets follow-ups if the foe is debuffed, and Brave Micaiah is her with the blessings of Yune. Thematically, I think it makes sense for her to carry a similar sort of effect.

5 Likes

I loved CYL3, easily my favorite of them. I know it has a reputation for being underwhelming, and I get why since there wasn’t a standout meta dominating force among them when they launched, but I felt like that made them more interesting.

It’s a bit unnecessary, but there was a reason for it. In Micaiah’s case, it’s to give her some versatility. CC/Vantage is a thing Micaiah can do, and while not necessarily how you’d want to activate vantage, lack of weakness to bows could be the difference between surviving with some HP to pull off that set, or dying outright. Also, as you can probably tell from my build above, Sturdy Impact is my favorite player phase option for her, and it admittedly bothers me when archers still OHKO through the +10 defense. I’m doing this for me.

Eliwood’s does have a direct purpose though: maintaining the 50% HP condition. It leaves him with a weakness to foes with guaranteed follow-up attacks, but otherwise is a simple but effective method of reducing the damage he takes in Enemy Phase once he can’t Galeforce through foes anymore. And, much like Micaiah, I like the thematic purpose of it. If the lance is meant to be associated with Ninian, then having an effect that mirrors Ninis’ Grace seemed like a fun addition. Also his would be dual phase as well, it just wouldn’t come up much in player phase given the auto-Desperation.

7 Likes

Dunno not a fan of the PP focus tbh on Alm

4 Likes

Anything about it in particular, or just not a fan of being locked into player phase?

5 Likes

the PP lock ye

6 Likes

That’s fair. It’s not usually my preferred method either. It’s just impossible to figure out any other way to make use of Scendscale, aside from giving him Distant Counter in his refine. And considering the only DC refine we have so far is Nowi, I feel like they’re still avoiding that as an option, and I don’t want to get my hopes up.

6 Likes

If I were to do his refine then I would do something similar to Sabers refine
Right condition > being able to counter attack certain Units with some kind of boost either getting stats or some kind of effect (DR, NFU either one of the good B Skill uk what I mean or one of the newer C Skills) and the ease up of his base effect aka just being solo
Simple, effective, helps his inital problems and makes him stand out a bit in giving him some kind of purpose and the most important part: not being overly broken

7 Likes

Something I am not very excited for: CYL4 refines next year

As much as I do agree that CYL3 units need refines, I do hope they either 1) Delay it for a bit so refines can catch up or 2) Speed up the refine rate so that it can actually be justified to give gen 3 units refines this year. Even if units like B!Alm and B!Eliwood haven’t aged so well, you still have units like Quan and Ayra who need it much more.

15 Likes

They really just need to speed up refines in general, regardless of what they do for CYL3. By the time some units get refines, older units who got refines are already outdated. It’s getting has been ridiculous for a while now.

11 Likes

I feel the same. Eliwood’s my favorite Lord, and his, Micaiah’s and Alm’s art from this Banner are some of my favorites in the game. They’re fun for PvE too.

I suppose that’s a fair point for Micaiah. It’d be a lot easier playing her. Mine somehow survived an OG Claude I accidentially left her in range of a few weeks ago thanks to TT+ bonus stats

For Eliwood… Eh, I’d argue you shouldn’t be leaving him in enemy range to begin with, but I guess he doesn’t have any special in his base kit for them to plan around that anyway. Now that I mention it giving him special helping effects would be odd for that reason

9 Likes

While I do agree whole-heartedly, and hate that we still have Book 1 units without refines, I’m also going to be greedy on this one and say I want CYL3 refines regardless. I love this batch and really want them to get strong refines to make up for how underwhelming they otherwise were.

The hard part is that, since they keep delaying stuff from Book 1, I imagine they’ll do the same with Book 2. This month we got three Book 2 5* options for refines, and it’s likely they’ll keep at that focus, skipping a few they decide don’t need the help. Which will likely include Ophelia, Surtr, etc. Depending on what they decide can be skipped, we may wind up seeing the first Book 3 refine by then. I’m guessing it’ll be Hubert, since Three Houses bias is strong and oh man is he underpowered for a 5*. And outside of Idunn, I can’t think of anyone from Book 3 that I’d be all that excited about otherwise.

7 Likes

he doesn’t have any special in his base kit for them to plan around that anyway

That’s strange, though… It already happened with some unit, the first I can think about is summer mia who has slaying but no special

6 Likes

Yeah, I completely forgot that Harm!Mia had slaying until I started doing Abyssal Duma LHB yesterday and I gave her moonbow. I was so confused until I looked at her weapon again.

7 Likes

I was trying to remember when that happened but it evaded me

Still, there’s that, then there’s giving someone slaying and CD acceleration when they don’t have one 2 years after their debut

6 Likes

That is a fair point, they do tend to try playing to the unit’s base kit when they can. In which case, they might made B!Eliwood’s refine more support focused, to play off the Rally/Ruse combo, and his C-skill being an Opening.

7 Likes

That’s the point of refines, giving you what you’re missing

That’s the only possible way to make eliwood somehow relevant otherwise Perceval will be forever at the top of the offensive lance cav.

Then there’s dusel who’s insane but nevermind

7 Likes