CYL4 Refine ideas bc I'm bored and want to make my boys OP

In making these refines, I first look at what the units are currently weak to, what shuts them down.

Edelgard's Weaknesses
  1. Impact effects
  2. Guard effects
  3. Armor effective weapons
  4. NFU
Dimitri's Weaknesses
  1. A weak player phase
  2. NFU
  3. Low Res
Claude's weaknesses
  1. Guard effects
  2. Flier effective weapons
Lysithea's weaknesses
  1. Must enter combat or lose HP in some way to fully utilize her weapon
  2. If she loses too much HP, she can’t utilize Atk/Spd Push
  3. Frail (She’s obviously not meant to take hits but just pointing it out)

Now obviously, units should have some weaknesses so the refines shouldn’t eliminate all of them but rather somewhat mitigate them.

Flower Hauteclere refine

No change to base effect.

Refine: If foe initiates combat, grants Atk/Spd/Def/Res +4 and neutralizes effects that prevent unit’s follow-up attack.

The two big weaknesses of armors are their low movement and armor weakness. Edie already moves better than an infantry unit so I’m not neutralizing her armor weakness. With her low Spd, there’s no way to beat NFU. There are 2 ways to get past Guard: 1) neutralize the effect á la Creator Sword or 2) get extra special charges like a breath effect. Both would be too much on a unit with guaranteed dual phase doubles merely for existing so we are left with only option: a way to counter Impact effects. Similar to Dragons Ire, B!Edie gains the offensive part of NFU on enemy phase so no now the only thing that can stop her follow-up in her enemy phase is actual NFU, whether it’s the skill or in the weapon. And stats thrown in just because.

Moon Gradivus refine

Refine: If unit initiates combat, grants Atk/Spd/Def +4. If unit’s Def > foe’s Def, grants special Cooldown charge +1 per unit’s attack. (Only highest value applied. Does not stack).

For Dimitri, I decided to give him a little boost to his player phase while also giving him a unique way to accelerate his specials. Just like how Blue Lion Rule is (partly) a Def based Dodge, the second half of his refine is basically a Def based Flashing Blade. Combined with the base effect, he would essentially have a dual phase Breath effect if the condition is met. That stats on player phase will allow him to get doubles, or at least prevent foe’s doubles, against mid Spd units, help him get a bit more damage, and give a small boost to Def to better active Blue Lion Rule. I purposefully left out Res from the boosts bc I feel the damage reduction from Blue Lion Rule is already enough to make up for it.

Wind Parthia refine

Refine: Unit can warp to a space within 2 spaces of an ally within 2 spaces. Neutralizes effects that grant “special Cooldown charge +1” to foe or inflict “special Cooldown charge -1” on unit.

Anything that prevents Claude from getting special charges shuts him down, full stop. Again, there are two ways around this. Method 2 built into the weapon would mean Claude is firing off Deadeyes and Blue Flames left and right while also running stuff like Mystic Boost or a Solo skill in the seal, or worse yet firing them off on every counter attack against opponents w/o guard effects. Therefore we will go with method 1, restricting him to 2 CD specials when run w/o B!Lucina support. Now, he’s still firing off specials all the time but they are much weaker specials. The warp is made to synergize with the proximity condition of Wind Parthia’s base effect.

Dark Spikes T refine

Addition to base effect: Deals +7 damage when special triggers.

Refine: At start of turn, if unit is within 2 spaces of an ally, deals 1 damage to unit. At start of turn, if unit’s HP<100%, grants Atk/Spd +5 to unit for 1 turn.

B!Lysithea’s best friend is W!Bernie but Bernie would rather be inside instead of on the battle field so now Lysithea can do the same thing, at least to herself. She will still be worn down by the recoil from Atk/Spd Push 4 tho so make sure she either has the Mystic Boost seal or is ran with a healer.

Thoughts? Did I go too far for some of these? Did I not go far enough for others? What do y’all think?

9 Likes

What exactly would counter claude if he breaks past guard and has iotes?

2 Likes

Atk stacking, brave weapons, sweep/dazzling, out speeding, desperation, attacking into him with melee units (if he’s not running CC).

2 Likes

I’m still hoping that B.Edelgard gets Savoir Atk/Def/Res, Null Armor effectiveness, and neutralizes effects that stops her from having guaranteed follow up