Defensive Specials

So,
I feel that defensive specials are in a weird place nowadays. They are either outshined by Close Call/Repel on fast units or they don’t do much for tanky units. Therefore, I feel like they should get an upgrade, kinda like Close Call and Repel. There are a few things I’ve thought of. Something like healing half or 30% of the damage blocked or negating 80% of the damage instead.
What are your thoughts on defensive specials at the moment and do you feel like they deserve and upgrade? What should the upgrade be in your opinion?

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking for a good while that I wouldn’t be surprised if at least part of Leiptr’s eventual(?) refine could add some healing effect if using a defensive special, but who knows?

I guess it would be nice if 2 CD specials could get 50% reduction and 3 CD get 80%. Although it didn’t change the effects themselves, healing and AoE specials already got their CDs modified long ago, so it may not be out of the question.

7 Likes

Yeah, they are a bit too weak. The only sort of powerful defensive special is Ice mirror and even that is only situational. By equipping this sort of defensive special you are crippling your offenses by a huge amount, which is why there should be an incentive for us to actually do so, because blocking 50% from one attack (and only from one range that you are equipped for) is a complete joke even if stacked with other sources of damage reduction.

Edit: also remember the joke that was shield pulse.

I feel like a special that would be like Ice mirror but inheritable is needed.
¨There also needs to be a defensive special that blocks from both ranges.
There also needs to be a special that block more than 50% dmg.

5 Likes

Defensive specials really could use a buff. Honestly, I think a contributing factor is the cooldown timer. 3 turns for half damage on one hit is a while, and a lot of times you’re better off nuking the opponent before they can KO anyway. I think 2-turn cooldown defensive specials that score better for Arena is one option. Though I could see keeping 3-turn cooldown and applying either a debuff to opponents or a buff to yourself. If a buff, maybe +6 Attack/Defense off of Pavise, and +6 Attack/Res off of Aegis. If a debuff, maybe something like Pulse Smoke, but only for the opponent? If it activates, it stops the charge of the opponent’s cooldown for that attack, and adds +1 cooldown count after combat? That would help them play into the biggest problem with defensive specials: offensive specials can just tear through them anyway.

3 Likes

Shield Pulse 4 will increase the plain reduction to 10, - 3 CD or turn 1 and grant -2 CD after combat if the special triggered during combat.

5 Likes

Outside of AR-D they have almost no use unfortunately.
I think making Shield Pulse easily available or a seal (:eyes:) would already make them quite a bit more attractive.

6 Likes

Oh god. Double Shield Pulse Slaying Miracle.

9 Likes

Yeah, I feel like the main problem of defensive specials is fast enough recharging for consistency. From an omegatank point of view, consistent procs are extremely important and so they end up needing help from other types of skills (I wait for the day when infantry flash is readily available so that Fjorm can kick AR-butt with Corrin support).

3-cd for 50% is just really awkward and people would usually want slaying with the 2-cd special (Gwendolyn and Sheena are excellent examples with their base-kits), or slaying with 3-cd and some sort of consistent special acceleration.

Edit: Shoutout to Ares. Slaying + Spiral allows for 3-cd special shenanigans and is worth a try if anyone gets bored with his vantage build.

2 Likes

Basically this. The one skill made for them is stupidly rare, and has no reason to be.

4 Likes

What if we got one that was like Ice Mirror, but it was close range, reduced 50%, and was on a unit with a Slaying Prf?

…nahhhhh

Okay but tbh I would be all for this if we also get prf AoE Specials. The only new one was an Enemy Exclusive one that nobody likes…

4 Likes

Huh?

1 Like

2 CD
Reduces damage from foe’s attack by 50%
Now give that unit shield pulse and either a breath skill or heavy/flashing blade for spamming. Would be amazimg on units with DC weapons

1 Like

I take it they mean Rokkr.

4 Likes

I feel like the problem, when compared to Close call/Repel is the singular range. I have a +10 Raven, LnD6 with shield pulse, pavise, and HB. Idk is an extra 10% +5 damage reduction worth being a piece of paper vs Range?

3 Likes

Yeah no for Raven especially just run repel

1 Like

While I know I may get flak, I believe they could also make them better if made more skills that works in conjunction with defensive specials. Maybe a B- or C- slot skill that grants Atk = damage reduced from Defensive specials or even one that does flat damage after combat like the Rokkr special. Maybe if the defensive special is ready at the start of combat, it inflicts debuffs/guard on foe during combat or even nastier, reduce damage from AoE specials to 0?

6 Likes