Distant Ward: What units would even want it?

I ended up pulling a -Res NY!Selkie on my seemingly endless quest to get a single copy of Duo!Peony.

Not particularly interested in keeping her around, and none of her other fodder interests me. The only one that actually looks kinda neat is distant ward.

But the issue is that, unlike close foil where you only miss out on one match up, Ward will miss out a lot more with bows and daggers, so someone receiving it would have to go all in on countering mages.

So is there any fun units out there that would want this? Maybe I could cook up an interesting merge project? :feh_eirikathink:

In other news, +5 NY!Lethe so that kinda cool!

3 Likes

Very very few units benefit.

Think of your entire barracks: what 1 range units do you use to counter mages?

… Are there any?

I just looked at my entire barracks and there were 2 units who I could say could do that (that don’t already have DC built in or wouldn’t rather have actual DC).

And they were both Selkies.

8 Likes

I’d say any melee units who has good Res but bad defense, or have no business tanking arrows and/or daggers.

I gave it to my Clair a while ago and she makes good use of it :

Mind you, I gave it to her way before Pegasus Flight was a thing ; she was running Dull Ranged before. :feh_flaynsmile:

10 Likes

I guess in a similar vain I could go with Caeda :feh_maethink:

But fliers would make a ton of sense with that kind of a build!

6 Likes

It’s a really niche skill, TBH

Not too many melee unit with high Res but low Def

The main ones that come to mind for me are Caeda, Fir, Clair, and Sigrun

9 Likes

I gave it to Eyvel to patch her res and atk a bit and to reference her flame sword that she uses in thracia, it also gives the extra atk and res when fighting dragons.
It can be help for melee units that have 30ish res to fight mages.
Is not as good as distant counter because you cant counter range physical units, still is not bad since it allows you to counter mages and dragons with an increase to your atk and magic defense

6 Likes

Personally I’d also suggest Fir. Slaying and Wo Dao are basic but solid for her weapon, plus being an infantry means she has access to lots of other good skills too.

5 Likes

Hurty hurty glacies

9 Likes

The biggest problem with Distant Ward is that you want to put it on a unit that wants to face magic, but since 2/3 of magic sources are ranged, why use a melee unit at all? Distant Foil is much better because it promotes Def which many melee weapon types use and has the added bonus of countering bows and daggers. Point being, DW is pretty bad and I’d only put it on someone like Leanne who has godawful Def and should attempt to just take Res hits.

5 Likes

Oh jeez i just thought of something

Mega Jagen

Okay prolly not, as funny as that would be, it’s still Jagen

6 Likes

He’d be better with a Catch skill anyway to synergize with his Prf Refine

5 Likes

Rafiel loves Distant ward with his amazing RES

7 Likes

Fliers in general (one’s without Iote anyway), since they mostly want to avoid Bows you only lose out on daggers, not a bad tradeoff for the stat bonuses.

I use it on Beruka with pretty good success.

5 Likes

Of units I can think, Rafiel and Leanne??? But she is so weak even distant ward won’t work that good. Rafiel in the other hand scares even the best mages.

5 Likes

I mean…Selkie?

Not a lot of units want it, it’s not terribly premium fodder. Might as well just spare poor Selkie’s life and use her.

4 Likes

the birb ate the fox, look at that smile

Honestly Selkie is one of the best users of it, she’s good for filling out beast/ dragon teams if you need a mage check

9 Likes

I gave Distant Ward to Leanne too. She and Rafiel are the only ones who could use DR well.

If she had built in mage and dragon effectiveness, that be even better.

8 Likes

MEGA JAGEN

He’s actually a very good unit with Distant Ward.

8 Likes

OG!Selkie uses it really well.

1 Like

Here is a compleat list of units who would want it

3 Likes