Enemy high Def, true damage, and special damage Q

Hey, so you know how FB4/HB4/Shining bow, etc do true damage even if the enemy has absurdly high Def? How does special damage come into effect with true damage? Meaning, does special damage calculations springboard off true damage (ie, 45 Atk Niles hits 55 def Duma for 7 true damage and glacies of 40 damage value [let’s say Niles Res is 50]. Would the glacies do 40 damage spring boarding off the true damage base of 7, or would it do 40-10 for the defence to attack difference for 30 damage?), or as shown, is special damage reduced by Enemy Def - player Atk after true damage is taken into account?

I know that special damage is reduced by absurdly high Def/res values, because I’ve seen it happen countless times in AR with my Mici taking 0s from enemy Moonbows/Lunas. But, what I’m not sure of is if true damage sets the damage base at that value for the special to increase from, or if the special is still reduced by that super high Def/res value of enemy unit.

I hope this makes sense. It’s kind of a fuzzy area to ask about. But I’d love to hear some community wisdom haha. Thanks!

1 Like

IIRC, unless you’re using a special that affects damage dealt like Glimmer or Astra, True Damage is always additive i.e added at the end of all damage calculations. (Eg. If your 40 damage glacies gets reduced by 10 your total damage would still be 37 due to the +7 true damage.)

2 Likes

This sounds about right. It’s separate damage from the special itself.

2 Likes

49 Atk Setsuna with Shining Bow against 54 Def Gweny

Summary

Sakura is giving Gwen +6 Def

The normal attack would otherwise do 0 Damage but thank’s to true Damage it’s 7 Damage

Now Setsuna using a 14 damage Iceberg she only ends up doing 16 damage since otherwise Iceberg would only do 9 Damage since the 7 damage is calculated after everything else so (49+14)-54= 9+7=16

2 Likes

That’s boosted damage. TRUE damage is things like FB4 or L!Alm’s weapon that - yes gets added on at the end - but isn’t affected by negative damage. L!Alm’s weapon will always do 25% of foe’s def but you could in theory reduce his special damage to 0 with enough def

1 Like

…D-Did my example not explain it clearly enough? I’m confusion.

2 Likes

Well here’s the breakdown.
Regular attacks use the most basic formula [unit’s atk] - [foe’s def] = dmg dealt. If this results in a negative number, it is shown as 0 but still recorded a negative amount.
Specials inflict BOOSTED damage. This simply adds x amount of damage on top of what you were already dealing(such as bonfire dealing half of your def). Most of the time this is normal BUT since its just getting tacked on at the end it is affects by those negative damage values. So lets say you proc bonfire at 30 def(this giving you +15 dmg) but you’re atk is 10 less than the foe’s def. So [atk] - [def] = -10 + 15 = 5dmg dealt.
TRUE damage is dealt by skills that simply say “inflict damage = x”. Skills that deal true damage include FB4, L!Alm’s weapon, L!Celica’s tome, and Duo Micaiah’s Duo Skill. These skills still add their damage on top of the existing damage formula, but unlike boosted damage(like specials do), TRUE damage is unaffected by negative damage values. So if you attack and do -10 damage, but have FB4, you will still do 5 damage.
Bit of a mess but that’s the rundown. Sacred spear did a video a while back on it if you’d rather hear explained then read it

1 Like

No I just misunderstood what you meant. I’m confusion lol you had it right

1 Like

Ah ok. I can never remember the formulas and stuff so I just got right to the point with how true damage interacts with specials (hence the glimmer/Astra disclaimer)but your explanation is more thorough.

I remember watching this when they first made the text changes to differentiate between “Boosts damage” and “Boosts damage dealt. Good Vid. You should link it.

1 Like

Thanks @GamingBro1 @Z-Man @GVader @Mars124 for your input and for the illustrations and stuff! That helps me see that true damage is just added on to whatever the Atk+Special-Def/res of enemy is at end of combat calculation. So awesome thanks guys!

2 Likes