FGO Mafia - Round 1
Helloooooo there peeps, nice to meet y’all and welcome to the first round of Mafia specifically dedicated to the FGO section of the site! It’s honestly a lot of fun and sorta chaotic in an extremely amusing way, so hopefully we’ll all be able to enjoy ourselves.
This round will consist of up to 21 players (14 Town, 5 Mafia, and 2 Third Parties if enough people sign up). If you’re at all interested, sign up by leaving a message down below and @Impulse and I will add you to the list! Once enough people sign up, teams will be randomized via computer magic and then we’ll let y’all select the character you’d like to play as.
Players are expected to log on at least once each day to keep up with the discussion threads. Each player is required to post once per Day Phase and submit Night Actions. Since this is the first round, we’ll try to be a bit lenient but continued failure to submit night actions will result in 1 damage being taken.
To sign-up, you have to reply in this thread!
Note: Active users of the FGO section will be given priority for this game. If you are a Regular of another category, you can sign up, but will have lower priority since this is a FGO-oriented game.
Sign-ups are now closed.
Make sure to look over the following info to gain a better understanding of the game and the various mechanics at play!
You are not allowed to discuss this game with anyone but me, or any chats we put you into. There is to be no DM’ing, or else the game falls apart.
You are a player and a resident of Freshville. You belong to one of three teams, and will win if your team achieves its victory condition. Use your special abilities during the night phase to defeat/investigate your enemies - or try to trick the majority of players during the day phase into lynching your target.
Every player controls a Character with between 1 to 4 HP. If you lose all your HP you will Die and can no longer send in any further actions. Hope that your team uses your death well!
- There are 3 factions in this game: Town , Mafia , and 3rd Party .
- Town wants to eliminate all the Mafia. Each town player starts alone and has no knowledge of who is on his team.
- Mafia wants to eliminate all the Town. The Mafia know who each other are and can talk in private together about their plans - however, they are outnumbered and cannot brute-force their way to victory.
- 3rd Party players have their own specific goals - they are not aligned with Town, Mafia, or any other player. They are the wildcards of each game.
- The game ends when a team has no more threats remaining. The team surviving is the winner - that team’s members will earn a badge and unique User Title to display for two mafia rounds.
- There are two phases in this game: Day and Night . The Game begins on Day 1, proceeds to Night 1, then Day 2, etc.
- During the Day Phase, all players are free to discuss any suspicions they have inside the Discussion Thread. Players may vote to Lynch someone by voting for them in the lynch thread. If a Player receives the majority of Lynch votes, they will be Lynched and lose 2 HP.
- During the Night Phase, all living players may submit their actions to me via DM. They may use Abilities freely unless otherwise limited. Typically, Mafia will target Players to kill them, and Town will seek use their large variety of abilities to attack, defend, or investigate. 3rd Party does whatever 3rd Party does.
- After all actions have been submitted, I will post a story about the interactions between all the actions. This story serves as vital clues, spelling out which Characters did what. Figure out who controls each Character, and you can get a good idea of who is on your team!
- The game proceeds to the next Day Phase and continues until a Win Condition is fulfilled. Typically, it is “Eliminate all hostile players.”
tl;dr: The game goes Night -> Day -> Night -> Day -> etc. During Night, you kill each other with abilities. During Day, you use a majority vote to lynch people.
If you’re still confused, let us know if you have questions and we’ll gladly answer them!
Definitions of Various Terms
- Day Phase: The Lynching part of the game. Town uses this to try to oust the Mafia.
- Night Phase: The abilities part of the game. Mafia uses this to try to kill the Players.
- Lynch: Put someone up to a vote. If they receive a majority of the vote, they lose 2 HP.
- Attack: Wound a Player, removing 1 HP from them.
- Block: Prevent a Player from using their night abilities. Blocks do not affect other blocks.
- Dodge: Negate one Attack targeting you per night. This is outside of Priority and can only be superceded by Attacks that specifically can’t be dodged or something similar.
- Protect: Prevent a target Player from being wounded. Protects cancel out only 1 Attack.
- Redirect: Cause ALL actions that a Player performs to go to another Player of your choosing.
- Investigate: Learn a hint about that player’s Team.
- Track: Learn who that player targeted that night.
Q: Can I use multiple abilities in the same day?
A: Yes, unless otherwise specified.
Q: Can I say that I’m Town/Mafia in the game channel?
A: Yes, but you can’t prove anything. Copying any message I send you into the chat is not allowed.
Q: What does X on my role mean?
A: Ask me via DM to keep your role a secret.
Q: What shows up in the story?
A: Unless specified by an ability , all actions that interfere with another Character appear in the story, done under the player’s Character (not their actual username, but a nickname made by the GM). I will specify if an action shows up in the story or not, however.
Q: How many different kinds of abilities are there?
A: More than the ones listed above. Expect weird ones.
Q: What happens if abilities conflict with each other?
A: Good ol’ chaos happens. See details below on priority and naming.
On occasion, Player A and Player B will have an ability that says, “Attack Player C.” But Player C has a passive that says, “Dodge one attack per night. cannot be Blocked.” But Player A has a passive that says, “Your Attacks cannot be Dodged.” What happens?
Every skill is given a Priority Tier – skills activate in order from their Tier and can stop lower Tiered abilities. For example, a Tier 2 ability will defeat any conflicting abilities below Tier 2, but can be beaten by Tier 1.
In general, Offensive Skills are even-numbered and Defensive skills are odd-numbered. Tier 0 skills will never fail and there will never be a contradiction involving them, but they typically carry drawbacks.
- Tier 0: EA Games tier of broken
- Tier 1: Redirects
- Tier 2: Piercing Attacks, Blocks
- Tier 3: Protects, Dodges, Investigates, Tracks
- Tier 4: Standard Attacks
But passive abilities can screw with this.
Example of played Mafia
Alright, so what does a game look like when actually played out? Let’s say that below is your character sheet.
You are Medusa , a Serpentine Beauty and a member of the Town . You win when all of the Mafia are eliminated.
You have 3 HP. If you lose all your HP, you will die and no longer be able to act in the game.
Mystic Eyes: If Attacked, inflict a negative status effect on the Attacker. They will be unable to Dodge any Attacks the following Night.
Bellepheron (Priority 4): Attack a Target Player. If your Target is affected by a negative status effect, this ability will Pierce through Protects and will deal double damage.
So we here we have a relatively straightforward Attacker for the Town - Medusa essentially functions as a counter to any potentially hostile players, debilitating incoming Attackers and dealing good amounts of damage against them. The Mafia will need to take care when approaching her as any slip up on their part could result in Medusa quickly turning then tables. Communication is crucial in order for Medusa to function properly; maintaining a high level of trust amongst the members of Town will help Medusa prevent from accidentally working against her own team.
It is Night Phase 2, and Town has not lynched anyone. Your submission will look like this:
Day 2: Target player Impulse with Bellepheron.
The story post will then go like so:
The sun set once again on the residents of Freshville. Bel-air closed, and so did their day. Everyone went to sleep, praying that if murders happened again tonight, it’d be their neighbor rather than them.
A Loyal Knight sat in his garden when a Shameless Maneater quietly approached him, trying her best to remain unseen. She then attempted to Attack him, but the Loyal Knight had foreseen this and avoided it.
A Mysterious Enigma was seen talking with a Carefree Flower, advising her on how to proceed. The Carefree Flower nodded gleefully and almost as a gift of thanks, Healed him in return.
A Serpentine Beauty charged towards a Graceful Samurai, Wounding her. Taking the opportunity that suddenly came upon him, a Vengeful Bastard leapt from the shadows and bared her fangs as she Attacked the Graceful Samurai as well; she Dodged the Attack, however.
Night 2 has ended.
Eleven players remain. 6 Votes are required to lynch.
Day 3 will then begin, and players will use their information to figure out who they think is the Mafia.
You learned something as well - you targeted Impulse. Your name is Serpentine Beauty - who was Attacked by Serpentine Beauty in the story? Graceful Samurai. This means that, bar any trickery Impulse is Graceful Samurai.
We saw some potential collusion as two players (Mysterious Enigma and Carefree Flower) were seemingly involved in a mutually beneficial exchange. Perhaps it would be wise to figure out who the Mysterious Enigma and what his action exactly was to better proceed for the following Nights.