FGO Mafia [R5] Day Discussion Thread
Heyoooo guys, the fifth round of FGO Mafia is now underway! As per usual, please take the time to look over the following rules and please remember that if you wish to use your Noble Phantasm, you can only do so within the first 12 Hours of the Night Phase**!
Remember, if these rules aren’t followed, the entire game may be ruined, so let’s do our best to keep them intact!
- You are not allowed to send a Private Message to anyone else about this Mafia Round except for me. The exception is your teammates, who have a group private message created and monitored by us.
- You can claim whatever you want in this thread, but nothing is confirmed unless the GM confirms it.
- While only one Player will ultimately win the game, everyone will receive a secondary goal unique to their character that they can attempt to fulfill; if satisfied, this will garner a unique badge as well, even if you don’t survive until the end. Unfortunately, though, it’s not as shiny as the victor one. Note: You may not mention what your secondary goal is until at least three Players from your Team have been Killed. If you do so beforehand, you will be removed from the game.
Players are expected to log on at least once each day to keep up with the discussion threads. Each player is required to post once per Day Phase and submit Night Actions. We’ll try to be a bit lenient since real life commitments should always come first, but continued failure to submit night actions will result in 1 damage being taken.
Make sure to look over the following info to gain a better understanding of the game and the various mechanics at play!
You are not allowed to discuss this game with anyone but me, or any chats we put you into. There is to be no DM’ing, or else the game falls apart.
You are a player and a resident of Freshville. You belong to one of three teams. Use your special abilities during the night phase to defeat/investigate your enemies - or try to trick the majority of players during the day phase into lynching your target.
Every player controls a Character with between 1 to 5 HP. If you lose all your HP, you will Die and can no longer send in any further actions. Hope that your team uses your death well!
- There are 3 factions in this game: Team Red , Team Black , and Team Rainbow .
- Each Team wants to eliminate the other two until only members of their Team remain standing.
- Once this occurs, the remaining members will fight amongst one another until in person remains standing
- The game ends when one person remains standing. The survivor is the winner - that Player will earn a Special badge and unique User Title to display until the next of this type of Round.
- There are two phases in this game: Day and Night . The Game begins on Day 1, proceeds to Night 1, then Day 2, etc.
- During the Day Phase, all players are free to discuss any suspicions they have inside the Discussion Thread or within your Team chats. Players may vote to Lynch someone by voting for them in the lynch thread. If a Player receives the majority of Lynch votes, they will be Lynched and lose 2 HP.
- During the Night Phase, all living players may submit their actions to me via DM.
- After all actions have been submitted, I will post a story about the interactions between all the actions. This story serves as vital clues, spelling out which Characters did what. Figure out who controls each Character, and you can get a good idea of what your team does!
- The game proceeds to the next Day Phase and continues until only members of a single team remain, and the once a single Player remains.
tl;dr: The game goes Night -> Day -> Night -> Day -> etc. During Night, you kill each other with abilities. During Day, you use a majority vote to lynch people.
If you’re still confused, let us know if you have questions and we’ll gladly answer them!
Definitions of Various Terms
- Day Phase: The Lynching part of the game. Town uses this to try to oust the Mafia.
- Night Phase: The abilities part of the game. Mafia uses this to try to kill the Players.
- Lynch: Put someone up to a vote. If they receive a majority of the vote, they lose 2 HP.
- Attack: Wound a Player, removing 1 HP from them.
- Block: Prevent a Player from using their night abilities. Blocks do not affect other blocks.
- Dodge: Negate one Attack targeting you per night. This is outside of Priority and can only be superceded by Attacks that specifically can’t be dodged or something similar.
- Protect: Prevent a target Player from being wounded. Protects cancel out only 1 Attack.
- Redirect: Cause ALL actions that a Player performs to go to another Player of your choosing.
- Investigate: Learn a hint about that player’s Team.
- Track: Learn who that player targeted that night.
Q: Can I use multiple abilities in the same day?
A: Yes, unless otherwise specified.
Q: Can I say that I’m Town/Mafia in the game channel?
A: Yes, but you can’t prove anything. Copying any message I send you into the chat is not allowed.
Q: What does X on my role mean?
A: Ask me via DM to keep your role a secret.
Q: What shows up in the story?
A: Unless specified by an ability , all actions that interfere with another Character appear in the story, done under the player’s Character (not their actual username, but a nickname made by the GM). I will specify if an action shows up in the story or not, however.
Q: How many different kinds of abilities are there?
A: More than the ones listed above. Expect weird ones.
Q: What happens if abilities conflict with each other?
A: Good ol’ chaos happens. See details below on priority and naming.
On occasion, Player A and Player B will have an ability that says, “Attack Player C.” But Player C has a passive that says, “Dodge one attack per night. cannot be Blocked.” But Player A has a passive that says, “Your Attacks cannot be Dodged.” What happens?
Every skill is given a Priority Tier – skills activate in order from their Tier and can stop lower Tiered abilities. For example, a Tier 2 ability will defeat any conflicting abilities below Tier 2, but can be beaten by Tier 1.
In general, Offensive Skills are even-numbered and Defensive skills are odd-numbered. Tier 0 skills will never fail and there will never be a contradiction involving them, but they typically carry drawbacks.
- Tier 0: EA Games tier of broken
- Tier 1: Redirects
- Tier 2: Piercing Attacks, Blocks
- Tier 3: Protects, Dodges, Investigates, Tracks
- Tier 4: Standard Attacks
But passive abilities can screw with this.
Regarding Noble Phantasms
A Noble Phantasm is the strongest weapon a Servant has at their disposal, essentially functioning as their trump card to use whenever they feel appropriate. Each Player has accordingly been given access to their own unique Noble Phantasm in the form of an Ability and while they can vary massively in their different effects, it’s needless to say that they will be very impactful in how this game plays out.
In their base form, each Noble Phantasm has the potential to be extremely overpowered but as this would obviously lead to several balancing issues in the long run, we’ve implemented a countermeasure in the form of another unique mechanic revolving around a Player’s True Name (as in the actual name of their character) - if someone attempts to use their Noble Phantasm, some Players, depending on the specific circumstance, will have the opportunity to guess that someone’s True Name. If they are correct in their guess, the Noble Phantasm will subsequently diminish dramatically in overall effectiveness and from then on, the Player who attempted to use it will always be referred to by their True Name in the Story.
Furthermore, any time someone activates their Noble Phantasm, the name of the Ability will be clearly stated in the Story unless indicated otherwise.
Now even with all this said, I completely understand that since this a fairly new mechanic, you guys are bound to have a number of questions - feel free to DM me (either on here or on Discord at lordhelpme#0069 if I’m particularly lagging) or any of the other GMs and we’ll do our best to clear up any confusions you may have.
Sabers - Magic Resistance: You are automatically Guarded from one non-Attack Hostile Action with the highest Priority each Night; this doesn’t apply to NPs. Abilities and negative status effects that cause you to take more damage will always fail; this doesn’t apply to Attacks that inherently deal double or extra damage.
Archers - Independent Action: If acting without receiving support type skills, gain one unremovable Dodge (maximum of three) as well as one extra point of True Damage for the first Attack you perform that Night.
Lancers - Battle Continuation: If you are Killed, you may continue to act as if your are still Alive the following Day and Night Phase. Any Abilities that Block, Stun, or otherwise prevent the performance of Actions will fail during this time.
Casters - Territory Creation: If your True Name is not revealed following the activation of your Noble Phantasm, the name of your Noble Phantasm will not be mentioned in the Story.
Riders - Riding: If your Actions would kill a Target Player, they will occur at the start of the Night and interrupt all other Actions, preventing them before they occur; this does not apply to your Noble Phantasm.
Assassins - Presence Concealment: Gain one Dodge at the start of every Night. Investigative Actions and Abilities that trigger upon Targeting a Player will fail against you.
Berserkers - Madness Enhancement: Your Attacks will deal one additional point of Damage. If you successfully Wound a Player, inflict a negative status effect that causes them to take one additional point of Damage from all Attacks the following Night.