Finally brought my favorite FE after SS

My main goal is to get all the FE games, someone know why Path of Radiance and Randiant dawn cost so much ?

I can’t wait to play it on my Wii.

21 Likes

For some reason, the Tellius games weren’t too popular during their time so the game was made in more limited numbers compared to 3H, Awakening, and Fates. So basically, it’s more expensive because it’s rarer and has less copies, which is unfortunate.

10 Likes

They’re expensive because they’re among the poorest selling games in the series. Even in Japan, these games flopped hard. They along with Shadow Dragon + New Mystery selling like crap nearly killed FE as a franchise until Awakening revived it.

Now there are precious few copies in circulation, so they sell for obscene amounts.

7 Likes

I’m scared of using the game and ruining it now.
I’m glad I got it but I will have to sell a kidney for PoR.

1 Like

As a side note, I feel Radiant Dawn being an early Wii game was a big reason for its failure. The Wii had built a reputation for being a “casual’s” console and RD even received criticism from some journalists for not making use of the Wii’s unique features. And the difficulty mistranslation made that even worse (a lot of people gravitate to “Normal”, but that’s actually Hard in this game).

Also it apparently launched very close to Super Mario Galaxy in North America. FE was still a new and fairly unknown franchise (this was only the fourth game to be released in North America), so of course it would be completely eclipsed by the first new 3D Mario game on a new console.

4 Likes

I heard that PoR flopped because the gamacube was already on life support at that time, it’s true ?

2 Likes

I distinctly remember both Path of Radiance and Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time being featured in the same issue of Nintendo Power as winners in a “best writing in a game” for the year (PoR was staff pick, Partners in Time was the readers’ pick) so yes, this was quite late in the GameCube’s life, and the GameCube sold only a fraction as much as its competition. These two factors combined were likely contributors to its poor sales.

1 Like

Yeah, I personally thought that Tellius games were among the best FE games, it had stellar writing, characters, and I liked the base feature before the map. I just feel like Fire Emblem’s marketing at the time was not very good, to say the least. They stepped up their marketing tactics with 3H, but I wish they better advertised and planned their games in the past.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s because they didn’t sell too well and so there are very few copies :thinking:
Path of Radiance is especially expensive, last I checked it was $300 US dollars for a physical copy :feh_lucishock:
I also got myself a physical copy of Radiant Dawn some time after starting to play Heroes, since my only console is a Wii. The price tag was a bit high, but the experience was well worth it :feh_birbpeek:

4 Likes

It’s unfortunate they didn’t sell well in their time, since I consider them to be two of the best entries, although I would understand if someone disagrees in RD’s case. I played PoR very shortly after Awakening and I was still genuinely impressed.

I remember I specifically told one of my friends (who’s also an FE fan, from long before I was, even if I have played more of the games than him at this point) that Awakening (which he’d beaten recently as well) could have taken some important notes from PoR.

2 Likes

$300 US dollars ! I could buy the new Xbox with that.
Guess I will save every month for PoR.

After I will get the gba games.

1 Like

I hate younger me for not picking up either game! I remember staring at PoR one time at a GameStop. I was in Freshman year of College and I’m just staring at it, but then I saw a Guitar Hero box and I figured that’d be a much more fun game to play while drunk with friends/roommates and during parties.

I don’t regret getting Guitar Hero. I’m just sad I didn’t have the money for both!

3 Likes

I remember buying Guitar Heroes 3 over the last Advance war ( which is my favorite video game now )
I want to seppuku my younger self.

2 Likes

Nice ! I still have my original copies myself

3 Likes