GBL dilemma

Alright so after completing my six sets this morning I have my score up to 2440 and once again on the doorstep of rank 9. The first 2 times I reached the mid 2400’s I was immediately crushed by hard counters to my team every matchup and my score plummeted. Master League starts Monday and I have maxed out Metagross(BP/MM/EQ) Dragonite(DB/DC/OR) Magnezone(S/WC/MS) Snorlax(L/BS/EQ) and Togekiss(C/AP/FT) for the Premier Cup. Do I risk trying to reach rank 9 while in Ultra League for the 3rd time tomorrow, where I’ve been crushed twice but I am very familiar with my team, or just wait til Monday when I have the top options for the Premier Cup but am not very familiar playing with the team?

Basing this off nothing but my own theory; maybe wait?
I’m thinking that when PC rolls around people are going to be every bit as unfamiliar with the format as you. In addition you’re going to be facing a lot of people who have gotten to the rank 9 area with GL/UL alone meaning they’ve invested in those formats heavily. That might make you having multiple double moved maxed mons a big fish in a small pond. I know I’m around where you are and I’m not max level and have next to nothing ready to go for PC. You might meet a lot of rank 8s and 9s who don’t have the mons to back up the rank.
Just my theory on the matter

1 Like

I’d try 1 set tomorrow, then commit to quit until Premier if you go 2-3. That Premier might be ok on first day…people that are similar rank but weaker on the top end. Maybe they have good top end masters but lacking some of the tip-top masters stuff (Fire Punch Groudon, Zekrom, Palkia, Best Buddy 15a Dialga). Some of those people will be trying Premier with iffy firepower

1 Like

Nobody can tell you of course. But if you really want to hit rank 9 and have difficulties in UL, then wait. Simple as that. That doesn’t mean that reaching rank 9 in PC is easier, but at least you have the top team members

1 Like

So… I decided to play… I started the day at 2432. I of course proceeded to lose my first NINE(9!) matches by just getting absolutely hard countered perfectly by the entire opposing team before finally winning my 10th match and falling down to 2350something. Since I fell so far I was like ok whatever no point in not playing out the rest of them now. I then win 15/20 the next 4 sets to get my score back up to 2468 with one set left. Since I’m on a roll I’m like ok let’s go for it! Lol of course once again I start just getting obliterated by perfect counters to my team and go 1/5 to finish the day at 2435. I don’t see how anyone could possibly have any doubt there’s an algorithm in place and if my day today doesn’t perfectly sum up the Go Battle League then I don’t know what does lol