Gen 6 movepool winners and losers

The movepools for gen 6 have been added

Current movepool:

It is subjext to change, but so far these are the winnners and losers from glancing over it:

Winners:

Slurpuff & Aromatisse

• both got charm and draining kiss. Two more bulky charmers and draining kiss will likely get it’s affect sooner or later introduced, which results in HP getting restored. Furthermore Parabolic charge has also been added to the movepool to a few species, which is a move that has been in the game master for a while and no species got it. Said move restores the health of the user as well.

Clawitzer

• it got Crabhammer. It has a solid attack, but obviously will be outclassed, but at least it got the move that makes it a viable variety pick.

Tyrantrum

• it got solid moves from both types. A variety pick, since there will be better choices, not to mention it will likely be very rare

Sylveon

• got charm and dazzling gleam. Play rough is better, but it will be a solid fairy attacker.

Hawlucha

• it got Flying press without it being exclusive. Should find usage in pvp, combined with sky attack.
    As a pvp attacker it is a winner eithout a doubt, as a pve attacker not so much. Low kick is a a very bad move and while flying press is off the charts good, it won’t be enough. Fingers pressed for a movepool update for karate chop.

Carbink

• imagine it as a shuckle and azumarill mix. Rock and fairy, very defensive, very low attack, maxes at level 40 at 1467… Niantic didn’t give it charm(yet), but it got rock throw and rock slide. Steel types, as well as mudboys and fighting types will keep it in check, but it might end up being a very annoying oponent in many situations

Diggersby

• galarian stunkfisk 2.0 in many ways. fire punch will be spammy and offer more coverage to grass types, plus a single wekaness to grass types will be useful. The normal types gives a fighting weakness, but riolu might get it’s paws burnt with this rabbit. Also a double resistance to ghost can be quite useful, making short work of gengar, haunter and a certain other ghost which recieved a nerf, but it will still be useful.

Yveltal:

• not a big winner yet, but the groundwork was done to make it good. It has snarl and Gust, both good fast moves that have STAB. The charge moves could be way better. It will get it’s signature move though, so it’s time to truly shine will come.

Yeah… no big winners here, all have some kind of drawback.

Losers:

Greninja:

• It will be a solid water attacker and being a starter a CD will happen, this said, the dark type is in raids neglected. Night slash isn’t good. Dark pulse is a so-so move, but it’s strictly better.

Florges

• No surprise here, it can’t learn Charm in the MSG as of now and it seems Niantic didn’t really bother much regarding the charge moves as well

Pangoro

• It has a solid attack stat, although quite outclassed by stats alone from both typings. This said, it’s movepool leaves a lot to be desired. No fighting type wants to be stuck with Low Kick. Similarly, no dark type wants to be stuck with Night slash. It can learn Karate chop, Foul play, Focus Blast, Superpower in the MSG, all of which would be improvements
    Niantic seems to be more aiming for PvP regarding the movepool and good luck to those who will try it. Double weak to fairy isn’t a good thing to be there and no ammounts of bullet punches will help you with that.

Aegislash

• The Pokemon from the MSG that got a reputation in pvp for being very annoying and hard to beat, both due to it’s typing and ability. Niantic seems to have none of this, since it didn’t give it Shadow claw, but gave it Furry Cutter and Psyco cut, leaving it quite vulnurable to other ghosts, dark types and plenty of other things depenfing on how many shields it has. Night slash is spammy, but this won’t lie up to the MSG infamy, at least for now. This said, it will still be a tough oponent, so get your dark types ready.

Barbaracle

• It wasn’t going to shake up things. But no rock fast move despite learning Smack Down? No water charge move, despite learning Surf in the MSG? Why?

Aurorus

• the movepool is a mess, but that’s not it’s main problem here. It does get powder snow and weather ball ice, however it’s defensive stats won’t make it good for raids. As of pvp, it’s typing is among the worst regarding that. Not only does it have two crippling double weaknesses to Fighting & Steel, it also has 4 other weakneses, which include the ever so common grass, ground and water users, as well as the now very common rock slide coverage move… It might shine in very limited type specific cups, but otherwise this be Abomasnow with worse resistances.

Klefki

• Same typing as mawile and same bad original moves as mawile. Being locked in france might mean it won’t see redemption

Noivern

• bad stats and bad moves will make this a even worse dragon attacker than flygon.

Zygarde

• almost certainly to be subject to change, due to it’s plethora of forms. As of now, it’s only stab move is Dragon tail. Due to being more on the bulky side, it would be of more use in pvp, but it’s fast moves leave a lot to be desired.

The biggest loser:

Xerneas:

• Fast moves: Tackle, Zen Headbutt
    Charge moves: Moonblast, Megahorn, Close Combat, Giga Impact, Thunder

Yeah, we need a new fairy fast move. No, we don’t need random charge moves and tackle and zen headbutt. Plus Moonblast? It can learn both Dazzling Gleam and Play rough. This is even worse than the ho-oh fiasco.
2 Likes

What puzzles me is how wide the individual movepools are for most Gen 6 'mon. Three fast moves and four to five charge moves? I know we saw some creep with Gen 5 'mon often having 4 charge moves (I am assuming Niantic did this so even double-moving a 'mon you would have to spend an unknown number of CTMs to get desired moveset) but this seems like just a way to get us to spend inordinate numbers of TMs.

-end of complaining-

Lots of new PvP toys to play with but looks like most of the Gen 6ers aren’t going to be much in PvE. Sylveon, for instance, is on a par with Granbull in Fairy DPS/TDO. Tyrantrum will be about Gigalith’s DPS/TDO. Clawitzer is on par with Crawdaunt. Yveltal looks like a bulky option (so Darkrai is still future-proof) and Aegislash is crazy levels of DPS (even w/out a STAB fast move) but relegated to super glass-cannon status. Be interesting to see how they do Zygarde…

Know who’s missing though? Volcanion.

As far as the starters go it seems like grass and water will be playable in PvP with or without the CD moves. Chestnaught is gonna be nuts! That’s pretty cool as they seem in no rush to get the starters into CDs. Once again the fire starter is held back by its fast move…bummer.

Maybe in Chestnaught we finally find somebody to shut down that stupid green trap in GL? :laughing:

Fire Spin is a decent move. Whatshername is more held back by lack of coverage moves. Flame Charge and Psychic does not a great combo make IMHO…we’ll see though, I bet it gets a lot of play in ULPC where it can shutdown most of the meta core.

1 Like

I totally missed fire spin. I was lookin at the wrong one! That’s good, there’s hope!

What Niantic will do is unknown, but the last generation finally gave it some needed stab fast moves that it would realy need in PoGO to avoid a Xerneas situation: Fire Spin, Water gun

Shame about Xerneas :pensive:, we really need another fairy fast move.

So, as someone who knows nothing about MSG is there literally nothing in Gen 6 that will shake up my PvE teams?

I’m not wholly disappointed as I’ve some building to do anyway, some favourites to improve and not having to spin another few plates would be fine by me.

I’m assuming, as ever, legendaries will only take shape as they’re released.

Aegislash is still gonna be great (depending on how the forms are implemented…). Extremely spammy and with the health of bastiodon, minus the fighting weakness?

A fun thing I noticed is that Honedge, Doublade, and Aegislash all have workable movesets and all reach the GL cap (thanks to level 50 for honedge). You could make the dumbest gimmick team…

Florges is also still good, Vine Whip + Disarming Voice is very interesting

Diggersby is also a big deal.

The real winner

Precisely, gen 6 is quite defense oriented overall, similar to gen 2. Many powerful PvP candidates, but few has PvE viability. The starters all get good fast moves, a positive start. I wish Tyrantrum has Rock Slide instead of Stone Edge.

2 Likes

Greninja doesn’t have the stats to compete on the dark side, even if it can learn Snarl and Foul Play. Houndoom and Honchcrow are better, not to mention Weavile and Darkrai.

I’m quite excited for Yveltal, and not just because it’s on of my top favorite Pokemon, ever.

For PvE, it has a good movepool in both the Flying and Dark departments. While it won’t have the DPS of Darkrai or the bulk of Tyranitar, it sits nicely between the two while putting out some very respectable damage.

In PvP, I have high hopes for Yveltal being the first truly meta relevant Dark-type in ML. Snarl/Dark Pulse gives it comfortable against Metagross, Mewtwo, and both formes of Giratina. Running Focus Blast for coverage gives it potential to threaten Melmetal, Dialga, and Rhyperior (at least when you’ve got shield advantage). It should also perform well against Groudon, thanks to its immunity-tier resistance to Ground. It will get absolutely walled by Togekiss, but should perform pretty well in neutral matchups. I tried to make Darkrai work in ML as a spice pick using that exact same moveset, but it was just too frail. Fortunately, Yveltal won’t have that issue.

And then one day, eventually, Yveltal will get Oblivion Wing. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Ash greninja however does have the stats for that…

Yvetal will have broad usage in both PvE and PvP. It has Gust but no Sky Attack, what a pity. Maybe it’s due to the flying signature move in the future. Rayquaza is on the same boat, I really expect it to receive Fly.

Of course, but there are also Mega Houndoom/Absol.

1 Like

You can only have 1 of those at the time. We don’t know how Niantic plans to implement it, but in case it won’t interact with megas, this would render it very underwhelming from one typing.

Fast moves: Tackle, Zen Headbutt
Charge moves: Moonblast, Megahorn, Close Combat, Giga Impact, Thunder

Yeah, we need a new fairy fast move. No, we don’t need random charge moves and tackle and zen headbutt. Plus Moonblast? It can learn both Dazzling Gleam and Play rough. This is even worse than the ho-oh fiasco.

Fun fact: Blame Gamefreak for this.

Xerneas isn’t even programmed with anything but these 2 fast move candidates in MSG. Not even Fairy Wind.

I think it will flat out get Geomancy or Misty Terrain.

Florges
No surprise here, it can’t learn Charm in the MSG as of now and it seems Niantic didn’t really bother much regarding the charge moves as well

Disarming Voice is surprisingly great in PvP, you just don’t see it at all for good reasons. The only Pokemon who learns it is Ralts, Kirlia and Exploud.

If you don’t know what that is, it’s a Crunch Clone. Combined with Vine Whip it gets spammed very quickly.

1 Like

I‘m just glad to see Greninja got Bubble instead of Waterfall, at least it gets it‘s full Water potential (too bad it didn‘t get Dark Pulse, though Greninja‘s movepool is a bit restricted. Maybe we get Thief someday?). I‘m pretty pissed Hawlucha got Low Kick instead of Karate Chop though. With KC, it would sit right below Conkeldurr in DPS. With LK, it‘s just behind KC Machamp.

Also, did Mirror Coat get changed into a Fast Move or did they mess up there putting it as Fast Move for a couple Pokemon?

Also, did Mirror Coat get changed into a Fast Move or did they mess up there putting it as Fast Move for a couple Pokemon?

Probably either 2 versions, or a mistake.