Gym/Stop interaction distance: Bad Niantice :<

This is the one change back that I find incredibly silly.

The increased distance made the game more enjoyable and I always thought original distance was too small.

1 Like

I completely agree with this. Most people will play pokemon go when they are walking somewhere and this prevents them from doing too many unnecessary detours.

This is one I really hope is changed back. Loads of gyms in my town just aren’t close enough that you can park a car legally with the original range. Whilst no great problem on a warm, sunny day, in Northern England we don’t get too many of those and raid hours, in particular, are properly rubbish if the weather is bad, as well as reducing how many raids you can do in 60 minutes if we have to wait for people to park up and walk.

Or is this an exercise in selling more remote passes?

This game should just stop existing to end our suffering once and for all.

Alas, if the Covid pandemic lasted for 1-2 decades (Which I think is a certain especially seen in the UK1 and Japan2) there is really no point for any outdoor or mass social exploration.

1. Delta Mutant Virus
2 600 cases as soon as emergency state is removed

Official Announcement

In bold letters there is a part that says “Bonuses introduced last year that we plan to remove or change”. At the end of that section Niantic says “After this change the distance will revert back to the standard distance, when it makes sense in different places, though may be increased during future events and as part of certain features”. What stands out to me is where they say part of certain features. I don’t know anything about these features, but I’m guessing that these features will not be free.

Right under the part about gym & pokestop interaction, they mention remote raids. Unsurprisingly remote raids and passes have not been nerfed or changed at this time :rofl:

1 Like

The increased gym/stop interaction distance is a fantastic QoL feature. Pandemic or not, it’s a boon for player convenience, accessibility, and safety, so I really don’t understand their desire to remove it.

The issue has been getting a lot of online attention though, so maybe, just maybe, they’ll reconsider. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

It’s daft, our town is small and is basically a one-lane one-way system. So being able to park in a proper car park and reach a couple of gyms is great. To be honest, the cost of, say, 6 remote raid passes is about what my car would use in petrol to drive round all of the gyms anyway.

One of our gyms is a library, but the building is also the fire station. So for those who only use regular passes unless you park up and walk, your only choice is to use the fire station staff car park (which is cheeky) or to mount the kerb (illegally) at the front of the library. It’s a gym I’d routinely miss out on days with rubbish weather as there’s no shelter. So about 300 days of the year here.

Glad it’s getting a bit of a kicking online. I’ll still buy plenty of remote passes, unless they’re going to let me reach my international friends’ gyms that is, but a bit of give and take for those days when I just want to do the single raid, or for the free to play people, would be nice.

I really don’t understand their desire to remove it.

Just so everything resets “back to normal”.

Unfortunately, the outside world disagrees. I expect a lockdown this July or September out of Delta variants somewhere in the world or more than one place. Today 1 person got mutant covid over here and government health advisors are calling for full blown social distancing and stuff based on events 2 days later.

As long as we don’t have 0 cases for 2 weeks or higher worldwide the pandemic will never end.

In my case, I posted a thread here a long while back asking if anybody had ever had any success in having a PokeStop removed. In my locality, there is a PokeStop in the middle of a private cemetery. Before the interaction distance was expanded for the batsoup plague, it was not possible to access this particular PokeStop without setting foot into the cemetery. Now it is possible to access this PokeStop from a public road. So when Niantic states that the interaction distance will be adjusted, I have to wonder how they can even reliably decide this.

Although is still possible for Niantic to back up from this decision, we knew from many months ago that they want to remove the increase distance, they even announce it. Why? Because it’s not the way they want the game to be played, it doesn’t have to be about QoL or money gains.

Many time people defend the TOS, saying that is how Niantic want the game to be played, this is the same, only that they doesn’t have the need to include it there, just turn the switch off and reduce distance.

1 Like

This is the one change back that I find incredibly silly.

The increased distance made the game more enjoyable and I always thought original distance was too small.

Agreed. Part of the thinks this is a ploy to look like they’re listening to players - Niantic says “Back to normal distance! (but we don’t really want to do that, we just want to make the players push back so we can look magnanimous and reverse this decisions)”, players go “NO! Keep the distance!” and after a week, Niantic goes “We have read the player feedback and we’re reversing that decision. (which we never intended to go through with in the first place anyway)”

1 Like

Would suspect you’re very close to the truth here. Niantic are disorganised and short sighted sometimes but never think a company that has made this much money are ever just plain stupid.

1 Like

They said the bonus is temporary a year ago.

March 20, 2020

For a limited time, we will be making the following changes to the GO Battle League and Trainer Battles with friends.

From now until Friday, May 1, 2020** —We are removing the walking and PokéCoin requirements to unlock sets of battles in the GO Battle League. If you’re currently in the middle of walking to earn a set, this change will take effect starting with your next set

Yes and then they extended it and made it a permanent feature.

Also people who dream of real life events are merely dreaming. Welcome to the New Normal.

They said the bonus is temporary a year ago

They said the bonus is temporary a year ago

The stop/gym distances

GBL walking

Niantic is literally destroying the game so they go there or Pokemon Masters

GBL walking

I get the idea that Niantic wants to remove features that were added to allow for a play-at-home style during the pandemic, but the pokestop/gym distance increase does nothing to encourage players to play from home rather than go outside. So even though we knew it was temporary, it didn’t need to be temporary.

1 Like