How do *you* pronounce Nótt

So after hearing someone else pronouncing it with a long o, it sounds awful but it does have that accent aigu. So I was wondering how everyone else instinctively pronounced it.
Do you pronounce it with a short o similar to ‘not’ :drum: or a long o like ‘note’ I suppose. Or more like a schwa like the Ø sound or ‘monsieur’, or maybe an elongated schwa like the Dutch ‘deur’ or the French ‘beurre’.

Anyway, that was my morning shower thought for the day.

7 Likes

Nott a clue

16 Likes

According to one of the recent videos where Nott and Dagr chat, it’s pronounced “Note”

23 Likes

I’ll just call her “Night”

3 Likes

It’s pronounced “Nott” as in “nott” hope that helps.

7 Likes

Silly… its clearly Nooooooooooott, if Feh was saying it at least

4 Likes

I do Nott know. I will Nott-e it down once I no longer Nott know how to pronounce Nott.

5 Likes

Like this.
/nouʰt/

From what I can tell, very close to the German word “Nacht” (“night”), basically a long o sound instead of “ah,” and more of an “h” before the “t” than the throaty-hiss that “ch” makes in German (I don’t know the proper name for the sound, I’m sure a proper linguist does).

7 Likes

I’ve no idea whatchu just wrote Shade, but its not very close lol
Its basically “Nout”
You would need to swap out 3 letters to make it sound “close” for “Nacht”
ch is nearly the same as [ç] and [x], there’s a word for letters like that, but its way to complicated and noone gives a ■■■■ about it anyway lmao

6 Likes

You Not.

3 Likes

Coming from the standpoint of a German-speaker, it’s much closer in practice than in words. It’s not exactly easy to describe some sounds with words (even though I speak three languages, I still have no clue how).

EDIT: The correct term is “voiceless velar fricative,” but I imagine that means nothing to a layman.
EDIT 2: Also worth mentioning that the south-German pronunciation of “ch” would be closer, as north-German accentuation tends to lean more towards it making a “ck” sound as I recall, but I’m getting off-topic.

Considering how the languages are also very close, geographically, and have the same meaning; it makes sense that the words would be similar.

5 Likes

Lot in favor of note and nott much else, makes sense considering the origin.

3 Likes

Thôth……

4 Likes

This, but I still say “not” lol. And I still say Dagr as “dagger,” not however they said it there.

5 Likes

When you think it’s Not and Dagger

But it’s actually Note and Dog-er

10 Likes

Damn, I thought Note was bad, but Doger really got the short end of the stick from her parents

6 Likes

Note and dogger is basically how the feh video pronounced them

I guess the accent marks are there for a reason lol

3 Likes

If FEH has taught me anything it’s that Norse is HECKING weird

7 Likes

My initial assumption was to say “not,” and I think I actually maybe still do that, but as far as I’m concerned “note” is the correct pronunciation.

5 Likes

You should have seen the Scandinavian area in FGO.

5 Likes