[Idea] Covid-19 bonuses and event changes should vary by location

Some countries are under lockdown, with healthcare systems collapsing, or such widespread uncontrollable transmission that simply leaving the house would be dangerous. I fully understand why players in those countries would want recycled legendary raids and to be able to play completely from home.

On the other hand, other countries (including mine) have close to zero community transmission (only imported cases) and robust testing/tracing capability. In such countries, going out is good for health and poses minimal risk of infection, so local measures do not prevent normal gameplay. Players in such countries would want highly engaging events and meeting this demand would earn Niantic more money. The only bonuses they need are QoL improvements such as guaranteed gifts from stops and increased interaction radius.

Of course, most places are somewhere in between, ranging from “several clusters but still under control” to “large community outbreaks but nowhere near emergency/lockdown levels yet, restrictions make normal gameplay still possible but reduced”. These countries would benefit from bonuses such as half distance for eggs (and Adventure Sync).

The key advantage of a tier system for countries, with different bonuses for each tier, would be flexibility in tailoring bonuses to the local situation and easily adjusting bonuses by moving a country to a different tier should its situation change. The hard part would be designing the criteria for each tier and evaluating countries against each tier, but perhaps external agencies (such as the WHO) may have already done so?

Of course, Niantic are unlikely to be competent enough to pull this off successfully, but they have shown some sensitivity to the different situations in each country (for example, by cancelling events only in some countries back in February/March and choosing three cities with low levels of transmission for City Spotlight).

If it would not change that fast a good idea… But to couple Niantic to the states governments (what would be necessary for a fast reaction and implementation) reaches a bit too far

On the other hand, other countries (including mine) have close to zero community transmission (only imported cases) and robust testing/tracing capability. In such countries, going out is good for health and poses minimal risk of infection, so local measures do not prevent normal gameplay. Players in such countries would want highly engaging events and meeting this demand would earn Niantic more money. The only bonuses they need are QoL improvements such as guaranteed gifts from stops and increased interaction radius.

And then you have states with over 200+ cases but government takes minimal action past the first lockdown. Sometimes, there may not even be a lockdown to begin with. (Japan, South Korea, Russia)

My governor told me there is going to be a vaccine available next week. Texas’ 156,000 cases and 1827 deaths in the past 14 days going to 0 and 0 well before Trump’s Inauguration

My school had to shut down because it got 5 cases. Wonderful. Should def be walking around trying to hatch 12 km eggs rn…
I definitely agree with your point, though

Really glad I did this raid. Actually here in person, 2/3rds thru app crashed. Didn’t let me back initially, but after the other 3 had finished it acknowledged that I was in the battle (it didn’t give me credit for any damage). They wouldn’t have beaten it without my damage. Well, partly cloudy SmackDown and EQ. Someone’s Alt, another level 32, and an ok 40. They might have done it? Doubt any of them had a friend bonus. I had Great Friend with that ALT

In principle not a bad idea as long as the scales balanced - maybe remote passes could be cheaper, or subbed in for the daily free pass in lockdown countries so we can raid worldwide from home.

In reality, when we think back to how most of the player base lost it’s $hit when the lake trio were region locked and then extrapolate that for, say, NZ gets Kyurem Black or the better Forces of Nature formes, while Europe gets a rerun of Latis.

Also, how would you categorise countries like the US for PoGo purposes? Govt. Says its fine, people dying like extras in Walking Dead.

Cities of El Paso and Lubbock Texas have a combined population of under 1,000,000 people…past 14 days…those two together 25,000 positive new cases. If the rest of the USA had a rate like that then it would be 8,250,000 new cases in 14 days. Texas nowhere near being shut down, not even a mask recommendation, definitely no requirement, no school shutdown

Doesn’t surprise me, sadly. I used to laugh at those “survivalists” who lived in walled compounds in the wilderness, stocked to the ceiling with food, water and generator fuel. I’m not laughing at them any more.

Here in the UK we appear to be obsessed with having Christmas at any cost. A religious festival where likely 90+% of the people “celebrating” it likely haven’t set foot in a church, apart from weddings or funerals in decades.

I love being anti-social, never get invited to anything and I’m fine with that.

Also, how would you categorise countries like the US for PoGo purposes?

If it’s for the US just forget it because even if the lockdowns are over and the government gets over it, there will still be nasty as heck race riots.

I fully agree with giving a daily free remote raid pass.

The difference is that Niantic can promise to release Kyurem Black, etc. in Europe once they have the situation under control (and can argue on the grounds of public safety) while there is no indication that any player (regardless of location) will ever be able to raid all three of Uxie, Azelf and Mesprit (it would be different if they migrated like Lunatone and Solrock).

I doubt there was a similar backlash to this announcement:

I would categorise them as comparable to countries under lockdown:

Your faith in humanity far exceeds mine.

The problem to me seems like there 195 countries in the world, they all react in their own manner. Some countries even have different situations based upon location in the country, think Australia for example (one part in lock down, the other part no cases…) and so on. I do not believe that Niantic could ever come up with a solution that would be good for everyone everywhere. To much difference from one place to the next.

NIce idea, but as someone mentioned, if Europe and USA( in example) will have 5th Latis or birds return, and Asia will have acces to Force od Nature therian formes, kyerem formes or another new thing, it may have huge impact on PvP also.

As much as i would like to balance, i dont see it in practice.