Ilyana near save or far save?

Anyone gonna try to use her as a near save? What’s your thoughts on this? We all know she would be a great blue Henrietta far save, but i am pondering near to handle the L Sigurds, Balms, Muspels and so on.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Not sure why anyone would ever run Near Save on a ranged unit

9 Likes

Rhetorical question? Sure you lose extra power with the A skill since it has to be CC or CF, but has potential placement in AR. I am assuming you are against this

1 Like

Ranged Near Saviors face the same challenges as melee Far Saviors, except worse because of their lower BST. The advantage of Saves is that you can dedicate your A slot to more stats an effects rather than a counter effect because someone else will handle that range.

B-Hector is a rare exception to this rule because of his Prf A and his weapon being so stupid good. Ilyana does not have this benefit. Also, she has only 33 Def (38 with Close Foil or Close Reversal) and 44 HP with a Def refined weapon which is really sad when she’d be fighting almost all physical attackers and other blue armors can hit much, much higher Def and HP.

12 Likes

What Luna said ^

8 Likes

Fair point, kind of what I was thinking regarding the A. I didn’t think about the BST being lower, so that’s a good call as well.

3 Likes

Back in the day we were able to easily have distant/close tanks like B!Ike.

It’s just too risky these days with so many threats out there, stats are never enough

4 Likes

While I agree with both Luna and TMFM, mage near saviors do have a niche in the sense they can bypass windsweep. But that’s not that common on melee units and those that have it (like Ingird or Nifl or Dimitri) can be stalled forever.

The only problem is BAlm, but I’m not sure building HIlyana just to counter him is worth it. I’m praying to never see him or be able to PP him with Micaiah or Brunnya.

4 Likes

TBF I think B-Alm would shred Ilyana regardless because I can’t see her OHKOing him and Sendscale is just so damn strong

Dunno about her Ingrid/Nifl matchups but the fact that they both hit her weaker Def stat is not encouraging.

4 Likes

Looks like most people ask this when building an armored unit these days.

5 Likes

She definitely does need defense. Pact bloom +3, and an A stance +6, and +6 seal helps a little. But then we talked about A skill for near save mages not being feasible. This is the opposite problem I had with Myrrh: with her I got 4 far saves before near, and I’ve seen near three time but no far with Ilyana. I’m ready to give upon her and finish Ashnard, hoping for a lucky B skill like trace.

2 Likes

That’s RNG for ya

While I haven’t specifically aimed for any Saves because none of these Formas have interested, I’ve only rolled it three times: Far Save once on W-Nino, and A/D Near Save TWICE on H-Dozla. I did end up getting Close Foil on Dozla as well but he frankly sucked. Couldn’t kill anything and died repeatedly.

2 Likes

I feel your pain. Since I got an early DC and rein on Ashnard, I think I will officially switch over and finish him. I just can’t see keeping Ilyana with near save, especially since I haven’t even got CC anyway. No crafty or slick either (but got vengeful, that’s passable).

I honestly haven’t used saves a lot in AR anyway. I used Henrietta a few times for astra cav lines, but pulled her because there was always a staff on one side and a blue on the other that I’d rather have Hector and F Lyon handle. Right now I just don’t need saves, it seems like, and whenever my ARD loses to a save team, it’s not often they get my pots. THAT is the strategy part of save teams, after all. So if I can’t get Ilyana, my feelings won’t be hurt, I guess.

2 Likes

Don’t give up! If you don’t have any invested Far save unit Ilyana is a great option. We still have a lot of days left. Good luck :)

2 Likes

Haha appreciate it! I’ll see how it goes, if all goes well maybe I’ll get a B skill on Ashnard quickly and I can call it quits for him and focus on her

1 Like

for windsweep.
'tho i guess you could use dragon, but b!alm weapon have both effective against dragon and windsweep effect.

The only reason to build Illyana near save, would be to have an efficient counter to B!Alm. (i suppose ? haven’t done the calc but if Akariss spoke about it i guess he did).

2 Likes

I don’t think Windsweep melees are common enough to justify running Near Save on a ranged unit

I haven’t even seen B!Alm at all tbh

5 Likes

makes sense

1 Like

Yeah I think windsweep melees are limited to nearly just Nifl and Kempf, whereas there’s way more ranged windsweep from what I could tell

1 Like

I feel attacked right now.

3 Likes