Of course, Johto representation in PvE is pathetic. Not a single Johto species can claim to be the best non-shadow attacker of its type, so its relevance is limited to Blissey on gym defence.
Azumarill, Skarmory and Umbreon were among the top threats in Great League, but with the former two hit by the latest nerf, Politoed gaining Weather Ball and an upcoming Johto event, it is time to revisit this issue.
In open Ultra League, I often saw Scizor, but is it that good (it loses to Giratina-A)? Not sure about Ultra Premier, which I never played. As for Master League (including Premier Cup), Johto may as well not exist.
Which Johto species could become meta-relevant with better moves? I can think of quite a few:
- Tyranitar, which is currently too slow, but can learn Snarl, Rock Slide and Earthquake to become a force in Master League.
- Give Steelix Ice Fang so it can beat both Giratina and Togekiss in open Ultra League, while covering Grass-types and still having a good choice of charged moves.
- Lanturn has great Electric moves to handle Azumarill and Skarmory, but its Water moves are mediocre. Even in GSC, it could learn Surf (to spam against Bastiodon and A-Marowak), Bubble and Waterfall (making opponents think twice about sending Gunfisk against it).
- To do well in Ultra League, Typhlosion needs a better coverage move than Solar Beam. For example, I remember teaching mine Earthquake back in GSC.
- If Rollout was introduced as a charge move and as strong as it is in the main series, Miltank could become powerful…but it needs a good fast move that generates energy quickly for Rollout and its other charge move.