Low attack stat on Pokémon

Ok so, whenever I first started playing I basically didn’t know what stats were, I just evolved whatever had the highest cp. by the time I realized what stats were, I ended up with a 2000cp arcanine With good attack and hp, but no defense, and the same situation in a Darmantanian. But what I’m most curious about is my Rampardos, who has good hp and defense but 1 bar attack. Iv read some people say low attack stat can be better, can someone explain or confirm this? Also, what should I do with the other 2 Pokémon I mentioned?

Low defense stat can help you to generate energy faster, so 15/0/15 may be the best PvE IV, if the drop in defense doesn’t let you use less charge moves.

1 Like

In PvE better IV is better, that’s the simple rule… …but… don’t get hung up too much on IV early in the game, or later for that matter. Your Rampardos for example, has a base attack of 295 so even with an attack IV of 1, it’s got base attacked 296, vs maximum attack, with a 15 IV of 310. You’re roughly 4% different in attack between the two.

So, look to what has the best base stats, followed by moveset (moveset can make or break a lot of pokemon) because that’s far more important than IV. Don’t get me wrong, high IV is desirable but not essential.

Where low attack IV is desirable is for a lot of GL and UL PvP pokemon, where you power them up to a CP cap, so that the lower attack stat one will still have the same attack because of the CP cap, but it will be able to absorb more damage because it will be a higher level. CP is attack and defence combined, so that’s why the lower attack IV works better.

Your Darmanitan and Rampardos will still be great PvE candidates especially as you’ve invested in them, Arcanine will fill a hole and can do double duty as an electric attacker ina pinch while you build better teams.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Thank you for all the advice. I have a lot of better Pokémon now, but I was wondering if these guys were pretty much useless because of their low single stats. Now I don’t evolve any Pokémon who’s not 3 star

1 Like

Except if you want to use them for pvp. But even then it depends, most often the ones clocking in barely below or at the CP cap are better. e.g. a 2500 10/11/12 snorlax is better for UL than a 0/15/15 snorlax at 2459, but a 0/12/12 snorlax at 2490 is better than a 13/10/5 snorlax at 2500. of Made these numbers up and extreme examples so we can understand better.

1 Like

They’re not useless. Rampardos and Darmanitan are called glass cannons because they have a very high base attack but low defense and stamina. It doesn’t really matter the IVs, they’ll dish out a lot of damage but faint after being hit with one or two charge moves. This doesn’t make them bad. In raids, they’re good as your first Pokemon. When a raid battle starts the boss has no energy. Your Rampardos is only taking damage from the fast move. If Rampardos had been your second Pokemon, the boss might take out your first Pokemon with one charge move and few fast moves and now it has energy. Your Rampardos comes in and is immediately hit by a charge move and taken out, having done nothing to the boss.

2 Likes

Going to throw in another little bit o’ advice: only worry about IVs on stuff you are going to power up to max for PvE. For example, top tier legendaries like Mewtwo or Groudon. Don’t even look at the IVs if its like a lvl30 Rampardos for instance. Its not worth spending the time on that 2% improvement.

For PvP, its a little more finessed. Basically, check it before you evolve it and see where it would land. You want to get close to the cap but there’s some wiggle room that comes down to your preference for farming. For instance, I want a Pangoro for UL; I’m fine it it hits at least 2480 with [attack]<[HP and defense]. But for Ninetails (which is much easier to come by), I won’t use one that isn’t at least 1490 and around 5/13/13. There’s a lot of wiggle room and lots of IV combinations that can get a given 'mon close to the CP cap while having that lower attack stat. It’s not rocket science and you’ll get to a point where you say “eh, good enough” and just use it (that’s the fun part :wink: ).

1 Like