Lucky trade decision

Hello there

Yesterday finally I became lucky friend with one of my mates. What would you recommend me to trade and why? Personally I want a SB mewtwo but my friend doesn’t have it and he wants a non legacy mewtwo and I only have 4 available for trading…
IMO a mewtwo is valuable enough for trading for another mewtwo or some other legacy legendary which my friend lacks…

Thanks for your feedback

Yeah, I’d probably hold fire with the Mewtwo with this particular friend.

What else you should trade though will depend greatly on your individual circumstances, but legendary and/or shiny like-for-like re-rolls are often a worthy thing to go for. A strong pseudo legendary (e.g. Tyranitar) or other useful mon is not a bad way to go either.

If you’re into PvP, then there’s a few mons that require high IVs and maxing out to make them viable, such a Medicham and Sableye.

When deciding what to use a lucky trade on, you need to consider what you already have and your playing style. That said, my recommendations are:

1. Metagross with Meteor Mash
  2. Tyranitar with Smack Down
  3. Blissey at a high level
  4. Gengar with Lick or Shadow Claw
  5. Mamoswine
  6. Rampardos
  7. Mewtwo with Shadow Ball
  8. Moltres with Sky Attack
  9. Giratina-O if you only have Giratina-A
    Most psuedo-legendary dragons and starters with their Community Day moves deserve honorable mentions.

Do not use lucky trades on:
A. Machamp (go raid 'em)
B. Tyranitar with Bite (go raid 'em)
C. Common stuff like Eeveelutions, the Exeggutors and Gyarados.
D. Legendaries not mentioned in 7 above. Remember that luckies save stardust, not candy, and for legendaries, candy (or Rare Candy) is the main bottleneck. Furthermore, luckies are guaranteed at least 80+% IV but the other ways to acquire them (raids and special research) already guarantee 66+%. Hence the main reason to use lucky trades on legendaries is to acquire a crucial legacy move or get a top-tier species that you missed out on, but trading for a legendary missing from your dex will cost an extra 40k stardust.

1 Like

If he has a specific want, then you counter with a specific want: shiny Houndour. If he doesn’t have it or won’t trade it, then you start from somewhere else and do 1:1. Although, at some point regular Mewtwo will return, so I’d even trade a non-shadowball spare Mewtwo for something as common as a Rayquaza/outrage Salamence. Well, I wouldn’t do that specifically bc I have 12 maxed dragons already.

It depends on what you need. If you don’ have a great ghost team than giratina-o would be great. But I would focus on legacy. My pick wpuld be:

1. MM Metagross
  2. Lick/Shadow claw Gengar
    3.high level cranidos
    4.Shiny kyogre
    5.Sb mew2
    6.giratina-o
  3. Other shiny or useful legendary

I’m pretty late to the party here, but will post my opinion.

Non-legacy Mewtwo isn’t exactly worth “mewtwo or some other legacy legendary”.

Non-legacy Mewtwo isn’t particularly special (although at least it is best of type, just not a particularly useful type), so it’s worth the same as other legendaries that are either best of a not overly useful type, or legendaries that are close to best of a more useful type.

I would rank legendaries as follows (for lucky priority, for pure rating the legacies would be lower. I also ignore PvP below):

1. Legacy Legendary that are very useful: Sky Attack Moltres and Shadow Ball Mewtwo
  2. Legendary that are best of type in a good type: Giratina-O, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Raikou
  3. Legendary that are best of a weak type, or close to best of a good type: Non-legacy Mewtwo, Legacy TS Zapdos, Dialga, Palkia
  4. Legendary that aren’t utter garbage but also not above: Giratina-A, Entei, Lugia, Latios, Azelf
  5. Trash Legendary: Latias, Regis, Articuno, Suicine, Ho-oh, Heatran, Uxie, Mesprit

So if you get anything in tier 3 for Mewtwo it’s an even trade. If you get something in 1 or 2, it’s an extremely good trade for you. If you get something in 4, it’s not a terrible trade but is pretty bad (e.g. you should probably hope to get a higher level or shiny in return for it).

As for where these fall in line with the grand scheme of other potential trades?

1. High level Rampardos
  2. High level Cranidos
  3. A: High level Shiny MM Metagross ; B: Shiny Lick Gengar (any level)
  4. High level Shiny SD Tyranitar
  5. Tier 1 legendaries above
  6. A: High level MM Metagross ; B: SD Tyranitar ; C: High level Lick or Shadow Claw Gengar
  7. A: High level Shiny Outrage Salamence ; B: High level Shiny FP Sceptile ; C: High level Shiny HC Swampert (not out yet) ; D: High level Shiny BB Blaziken ; E: High level shiny Mamoswine
  8. Tier 2 legendaries above
  9. Non-shiny variants of pokemon in 7 + low level lick/Shadow Claw Gengar + legacy GK Breloom
  10. High level top-tier attackers or their pre-evolutions if uncommon: e.g. Electivire and Roserade are both not particularly common for me
  11. Tier 3 legendaries above
  12. High level top-tier attackers or their pre-evolutions that are common: e.g. Machamp, Magnezone, Rhyperior, Weavile are all pretty common here.

If your trade partner can’t fill anything in those 12 tiers, I’d say remove the friend :P

1 Like

Depends on your playstyle: if you play a lot and can farm stardust and/or rare candies, then just stick with all of the above. If you are more casual, I suggest my own strategy: get lucky pokemon for good species easy to get candy for, common in the wild or 1-3km buddies. Lucky saves stardust, commonness or low distance buddiness saves candy, so you can consider powering up those higher than you would have otherwise. Good examples would be Breloom, Weavile, Gyarados, Rhyperior, Roserade, etc.