The theme for this round is Hunter x Hunter
Even if you don’t know much about Hunter x Hunter, you’re still welcome to play!
Welcome back to the fourth round of Mafia Madhouse hosted by yours truly .
Players are expected to log on at least once each day to keep up with the discussion threads. Each player is required to post once per Day Phase and submit Night Actions. Failure to submit night actions, the first time will be a warning. Afterwards, it will result in 1 damage being taken.
If you are interested but uncertain whether or not you want to play the game, please make that known in the thread and you will be added to the wait-list.
To sign up, you must post (@Souljia_Boy) that you want to play in this thread.
Once signups close, teams will be randomized and players will get to pick which character they’d like to play as (first come first serve). As per usual if you are assigned to Town, you will not be able to play an “evil” character (and vice versa). Although, you may make a case for why the character of your choosing could fit that affiliation.
After your Team is rolled and you pick a character, you will begin working on your rolecard with me. I will nerf/buff appropriately for balance, or I could just make it for you.
This round does include the return of multiple night actions (unless stated otherwise)
THIS ROUND WON’T BE STARTING UNTIL TDI MAFIA AND FGO MAFIA ENDS.
Signups: (Player Cap to be decided)
You are not allowed to discuss this game with anyone but me, or any chats I put you into. There is to be no DM’ing, or else the game falls apart.
You are a player and a resident of Not-Quite-Freshville. You will have a GM given role, and will win if you or your team succeed in that goal. Use your special abilities during the night phase to defeat/investigate your enemies - or try to convince the majority of players during the day phase into lynching your target.
Every player controls a Character with between 1 to 5 HP. If you lose all your HP you will Die and can no longer send in any further actions. Hope that your team uses your death well!
- There are 3 factions in this game: Town , Mafia , and 3rd Party .
- Town wants to eliminate all the Mafia. Each town player starts alone and has no knowledge of who is on his team.
- Mafia wants to eliminate all the Town. The Mafia know who each other are and can talk in private together about their plans - however, they are outnumbered and cannot brute-force their way to victory.
- 3rd Party players have their own specific goals - they are not aligned with Town, Mafia, or any other player. They are the wildcards of each game.
- The game ends when a team has no more threats remaining. The team surviving is the winner - that team’s members will earn a badge and unique User Title to display for two mafia rounds.
- There are two phases in this game: Day and Night . The Game begins on Day 1, proceeds to Night 1, then Day 2, etc.
- During the Day Phase, all players are free to discuss any suspicions they have inside the Discussion Thread. Players may vote to Lynch someone by voting for them in the lynch thread. If a Player receives the majority of Lynch votes, they will be Lynched and lose 2 HP.
- During the Night Phase, all living players may submit their actions to me via DM. They may use Abilities freely unless otherwise limited. Typically, Mafia will target Players to kill them, and Town will seek use their large variety of abilities to attack, defend, or investigate. 3rd Party does whatever 3rd Party does.
- After all actions have been submitted, I will post a story about the interactions between all the actions. This story serves as vital clues, spelling out which Characters did what. Figure out who controls each Character, and you can get a good idea of who is on your team!
- The game proceeds to the next Day Phase and continues until a Win Condition is fulfilled. Typically, it is “Eliminate all hostile players.”
tl;dr: The game goes Night -> Day -> Night -> Day -> etc. During Night, you kill each other with abilities. During Day, you use a majority vote to lynch people.
If you’re still confused, let us know if you have questions.
Definition of Various Terms
- Day Phase: The Lynching part of the game. Town uses this to try to oust the Mafia.
- Night Phase: The abilities part of the game. Mafia uses this to try to kill the Players.
- Lynch: Put someone up to a vote. If they receive a majority of the vote, they lose 2 HP.
- Attack: Wound a Player, removing 1 HP from them.
- Block: Prevent a Player from using their night abilities. Blocks do not affect other blocks.
- Dodge: Negate one Attack targeting you per night. This is outside of Priority and can only be superseded by Attacks that specifically can’t be dodged or something similar.
- Protect: Prevent a target Player from being wounded. Protects cancel out only 1 Attack.
- Redirect: Cause ALL actions that a Player performs to go to another Player of your choosing.
- Investigate: Learn a hint about that player’s Team.
- Track: Learn who that player targeted that night.
Q: Can I use multiple abilities in the same day?
A: HECK YES, unless otherwise specified.
Q: Can I say that I’m Town/Mafia in the game channel?
A: Yes, but you can’t prove anything. Copying any message I send you into the chat is not allowed.
Q: What does X on my role mean?
A: Ask us via DM to keep your role a secret.
Q: What shows up in the story?
A: Unless specified by an ability , all actions that interfere with another Character appear in the story, done under the player’s Character (not their actual username, but a nickname made by the GM). We will specify if an action shows up in the story or not, however.
Q: How many different kinds of abilities are there?
A: More than the ones listed above. Expect weird ones.
Q: What happens if abilities conflict with each other?
A: Good ol’ chaos happens. See details below on priority and naming.
On occasion, Player A and Player B will have an ability that says, “Attack Player C.” But Player C has a passive that says, “Dodge one attack per night. cannot be Blocked.” But Player A has a passive that says, “Your Attacks cannot be Dodged.” What happens?
Every skill is given a Priority Tier – skills activate in order from their Tier and can stop lower Tiered abilities. For example, a Tier 2 ability will defeat any conflicting abilities below Tier 2, but can be beaten by Tier 1.
In general, Offensive Skills are even-numbered and Defensive skills are odd-numbered. Tier 0 skills will never fail and there will never be a contradiction involving them, but they typically carry drawbacks.
- Tier 0: EA Games tier of broken
- Tier 1: Redirects
- Tier 2: Piercing Attacks
- Tier 3: Protects, Heals, Blocks
- Tier 4: Standard Attacks, Investigation actions, most actions
But passive abilities can screw with this.
Examples of Played Mafia
Ight, so what does a game look like when actually played out? Let’s say that below is your character sheet.
You are Myrrh , a Great Dragon and a member of the Town . You win when all of the Mafia are eliminated.
You have 2 HP. If you lose all your HP, you will die and no longer be able to act in the game.
Dragonskin: You receive 1 less damage from all Attacks, to a minimum of 0 damage. Lynches will still do full damage.
Great Flame (Priority 2): Choose a target Player - that Player will be Blocked. You may also choose to remove their passive Dodges. You may not target the same player consecutively.
So we have here is a support character for the Town - Myrrh aims to tank by interfering with the Mafia while using her passive to stay alive. The Mafia needs to dedicate itself to kill her, so she has some breathing room to investigate by using her ability freely (drawing attention away from her allies).
It is Night Phase 2, and Town has not lynched anyone. Your submission will look like this:
Day 2: Target player lordhelpme with Great Flame. Remove his ignores.
The story post will then go like so:
The sun set once again on the residents of Freshville. Bel-air closed, and so did their day. Everyone went to sleep, praying that if murders happened again tonight, it’d be their neighbor rather than them.
A Morose Prince sat in his garden when a Young Rose lumbered in in heavy armor. She attempted to squish him with her oversized armor and Block him, but the Morose Prince had foreseen this and avoided it.
A Boulder managed to Dodge an Attack from a Bloodthirsty General . However, the Bloodthirsty General followed it up with another Attack, killing the Boulder . A Gambler tried to use opportunity to strike down the Bloodthirsty General, but the General managed to dodge the Attack. A Demon God tried to fell the Gambler with a mighty Crushing Attack, but the Gambler narrowly Dodged it, averting all damage.
A Brash Lord was seen leaping at a Silver Knight , Attacking him. The Silver Knight expertly Parried the attack, avoiding any damage and returning the blow. The Brash Lord managed to dodge the sword strike.
A Great Dragon unleashed a stream of deadly fire at the already-wounded Cleary-Not-Gheb , Blocking him. The fire surrounded him and held him in place. This allowed a Genius Mage to Attack him with devastating magic.
Night 2 has ended.
catbomb, a member of the Town, has been killed.
Eleven players remain. 6 Votes are required to lynch.
Day 3 will then begin, and players will use their information to figure out who they think is the Mafia.
You learned something as well - you targeted lordhelpme. Your name is Great Dragon - who was Blocked by Great Dragon in the story? Clearly-not-Gheb. This means that, bar any trickery, lordhelpme is Clearly-not-Gheb.
We saw some confusion going on as two townies (Brash Lord and Silver Knight) seem to be going at each other, maybe as they try to feel out who is a threat. Perhaps it would be wise to figure out who the Bloodthirsty General is and block him.