METAGROSS RANT

Hi people!
First of all let me say Premium (or Premier?) League rocks! I enjoy myself a lot more without legendaries and the fact that the unrestricted version is open for those who enjoy it.
Now for the rant: I see metagross about 85% of the time. So tell me, do all those people really like metagross? Or is it just the fact that it’s top tier? I know some people do think it’s nice and pretty, but I highly doubt all of them do. If it were middle tier or around that which of those would keep it?
It’s the eternal debate between play freely with styles you like and play meta solely to win.

Now some clarifications:

1. I like my score at the League and my team is perfectly capable and competes like any other, it’s not a loser rant.
  2. When I say “use something you like” I dont mean a shiny pikachu or eevee. There’s plenty of high tier things to pick from that you surely have an affinity with (I love Togekiss for instance and it happens to be very efficient)
  3. Save toxic remarks that have to do with 1) and 2)
1 Like

Yeah, it’s probably mostly meta.

Personally, I’m a big fan of Metagross aesthetically (c’mon, it’s a big sentient robot), and hate Togekiss both in play and style, so it works for me.

4 Likes

Metagross is Meta and it looks awesome. Also it’s easy to play with and kinda easy to get. You need the Community Day Meteor Mash, however.

Togekiss is like the easiest Pokemon to play in the game and fits my stye of being able to ignore Shields.

3 Likes

Yeah, I might just be self-sabotaging in that regard…

1 Like

Yep, most people play Metagross due to how powerful it is in Masters/Premier: high attack, good bulk, access to the powerful Meteor Mash, tons of resistances, good coverage (Earthquake), and it demolishes other meta powerhouses like Dragons and Togekiss. That said, it’s also a fan favorite; I’m sure that plays a role as well, though probably not as prominent of one.

3 Likes

Well Lucario is also fan favorite but barely seen on league :o and is very functional.
Still comments above do show many people actually love the thing :heart: just doubt it’s that way for that many Metagross users.
I find match monotony pretty annoying, I use Togekiss, Empoleon and Vaporeon, what are the chances of mirror matching those? :o

1 Like

The Master League meta was largely Steel/Dragon/Fairy and the Premier Cup hasn’t really changed that much. Metagross replaced Dialga, Dragonite replaced all of the other Dragon legendaries, and Togekiss is Togekiss because Charm is ridiculous.

Sometimes you’ll see Gyarados instead of Dragonite because it has Dragon-type moves without being weak to Togekiss and Crunch hits Metagross for SE damage.

The meta may change, Metagross may disappear. Giratina-Altered was prevalent in Ultra League and after a while people dropped Giratina because everyone had one or more counters and they got no use out of it. I’ve seen Steelix in place of Metagross already.

1 Like

Well water and electric types are more viable now, while Dialga/Giratina didn’t make that possible and now have more relative weight. That’s why Gyarados is stronger and more common now too, although it may or may not serve a water attacker role depending on movesets but definitely takes the type’s defenses.
Back in regular master league my only answer to Metagross was something ghost/dark or a bulldoze Mamoswine if it made it before fainting. Let’s not talk about countering Dialga heheh I do not have or care about a powered up Heatran (or maybe Lucario? but I dont like that one either and has lower CP)

1 Like

I enjoy Metagross simply because it makes Togekiss my bxtch.

Togekiss will vanish very quickly I guess, because it will simply face too much opposition.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that too, as well as many many people leading Metagross. So the answer is easy - lead a great counter to Metagross. Swampert works, and plays well against a lot of other leads too (Charizard, Magnezone, etc.) Then be prepared to kill a dragon and/or a fairy, and you have a decent anti-meta team.

1 Like

Metagross is pretty strong, so it’s unsurprising that people want to use it. It has its counters though and they’re also pretty prevalent. Swampert is the obvious counter but also Gyarados can beat it as well as Magnezone (in a rare situation where it can tank moves that aren’t Earthquake).

1 Like

Probably also popular due to PvE prevalence. A lot of people look at ML (and Premier too) and think “which of my raid 'mon will work here?”. Metagross, Dragonite, Garchomp, even Togekiss, they fit the bill!

2 Likes

Heh. Metagross is my strongest poke. I. Am. Level. 32. Why should I even attempt the GBL at this point. I have not tyranitar counters (well sorta, Metagross knows Bullet Punch) no kyogre counters, and so on. I have a very limited amount of Pokes I can use, with only Metagross being my only 3000 Cp. so, ya. Oh and also no Swampert counters…

2 Likes

I only lead with Metagross cuz it’s my strongest Pokémon.

2 Likes

Excadrill is a fantastic Dialga counter in my experience. It lead to a number of surrenders.

Not many people use Garchomp in raids. If there are Dragon raids it’s usually Rayquaza or Salamence. Even Haxorus is sometimes called a Garbo mon for having bad moves. (Read: It’s decent and has top tier DPS)

1 Like

I always find myself going anti whatever is popular. I use magnezone instead and lead with togekiss and chanduler as my ss specifically to lock and hate on metagrosses. Lol, do it with registeel in Gl and Ul. Maybe I have a thing against steel types, i dont know but killing them always brings me a little extra glory

1 Like

Steel is my favorite type, actually. Second is Dragon. I don’t like Fighting that much.

1 Like

Metagross is the Giratina of Premier, that’s why you see so many.

I’m waiting to see the counter teams to the main meta teams as either I’ve not seen one yet, or there are no good counters which can hold their own