New Unit Suggestion: Balthus, King of Grappling

'Sup, bois. It’s been a while since my last draft; but I’ve had an idea rattling around in my head for a bit, and now’s the time to let it out.
Balthus: King of Grappling

“Don’t beat around the bush, pal. You want my help, yeah? Can’t blame ya. I get it. If I were you, I’d want to recruit me too.”

The self-proclaimed “King of Grappling,” Balthus of the Ashen Wolves has a rough-and-tumble personality. Running from his woes (and his debts), he’s gone underground—literally—in Abyss. Despite his motivations, he’s big-hearted and protects those he cares for.

STATS
HP: 45
ATK: 43
SPD: 22
DEF: 45
RES: 22
MOV: Infantry

BST: 177

SKILLS
Weapon: Vajra-Mushti (Gauntlet) - "MGT: 11.
Spd-2. Unit attacks twice when initiating combat. At start of combat, if unit’s HP ≤ 80%, grants Atk+9 and DEF+10 during combat. "
Support:
Special: Eviscerate - CD: 3 - “Boosts damage by 5. Calculates damage using the lower of foe’s Def or Res.”
A: Sturdy Impact - “If unit initiates combat, grants Atk+6, Def+10 during combat and foe cannot make a follow-up attack.”
B: Dull Close - “If foe uses sword, lance, axe, dragonstone, or beast damage, neutralizes foe’s bonuses (from skills like Fortify, Rally, etc.) during combat.”
C: Savage Blow - “If unit initiates attack, foes within 2 spaces of target take 7 damage after combat.”

I’ve wanted to draft Balthus for a while now, so I’ve had ideas floating around in my head. After a brief discussion earlier about whether or not he would be added with Vajra-Mushti or not due to the lack of Gauntlets so far, I figured that now would be a good time to make a draft for him.
Essentially, he fills the same role in FEH that he fills in 3H, a powerful mix-phase physical duelist. Strong in hand-to-hand combat, but vulnerable to mages. Initially, I drafted him to tied L!Kamui in terms of BST, but I opted to drop it by 5 so he’d be in line with more infantry fighters.

REASONING
Vajra-Mushti: Balthus’ Hero’s Relic, passed down to him by his mother. In creating its effect, I opted to combine the weapon’s actual effect in 3H (the double-hit native to all Gauntlets) with his own personal skill, King of Grappling, which is - in FEH terms - a Brazen skill. So I gave it a passive Brazen ATK/DEF 4, because I felt that giving him Brazen A/D 3 would just be copying Alfonse; though Balthus has the advantage of better stats and merges. But, for balancing reasons, I’m not opposed to dropping the skill to grade-3.
Eviscerate: The skill granted to those who wield Vajra-Mushti. For designing its effect in FEH, all I really had to do was copy-paste its effects from 3H, they both already exist in the game - though I did halve the flat damage boost. It reduces Vajra-Mushti’s durability by 3, so I opted to give it a CD of 3; but I’m open to the idea of increasing that.
Sturdy Impact: I don’t like drafting units with god-kits, but I get bitched at when I don’t; so I’m going ham on this one. He’s a bruiser with an initiation-based weapon, so I gave him an initiation-based A-skill that compliments his native strengths and weapon ability.
Dull Close: Was considering Lull ATK/DEF, but it seemed like overkill, all things considered. SO I opted to go for removing the debuffs and just keep the buff-cancelling against enemies he is designed to fight.
Savage Blow: An initiation-based C-skill. I could also have gone for Breath of Life, but that wouldn’t really fit Balthus, I don’t think. Could also have gone with Rouse A/D; but I guess I just can’t completely shake the drive to not go overkill on my ideas.

Thoughts on my idea? Comments, maybe? Concerns? Lemme know, feedback is welcomed. If you have someone you want me to take a crack at, feel free to ask that, too.

Archived Unit Suggestions

Unit Suggestions

Kaze, Easygoing Ninja
Aversa, the Dark One
Vaike, Zero to Hero
Inigo, the Flower Picker
Shinon, the Deadly Adept
Kjelle, the Fair Fighter
Panne, the Proud Taguel
Tatiana, the Saint of Duma
Kana(♂), the Child of Dragons
Kana(♀), Dragon Spawn
Velouria, the Wolf Cub
Kellam, the Oft-Forgotten
Walhart, the Conqueror
Hardin, the Dark Emperor
Gharnef, Dark Pontifex
Astram, Midia’s Pride
Reina, Morbid Fixation
Rudolf, Rigelian Emperor
Gangrel, Mad King
Berkut, Duma’s Knight
Nergal, Dark Druid
Say’ri, Blade Princess
Kiran, Legendary Summoner
Lianna, Aytolesian Princess
Anankos, Silent Dragon
Atlas, Village Protector
Rinkah, Scion of Flame
Altina, the First Apostle
Byleth, Observer of Time
Edelgard, Imperial Princess
Dimitri, Holy Heir
Sylvain, Sincere Knight
Seiros, Sacred Saint
Rhea, Vengeful One
Mycen, Valentian Legend

Unit Rework Suggestions

Elise, Light in the Dark

4 Likes

Any reason Eviscerate is strictly worse than Reginn’s special? 5 extra damage is basically nothing. If going this route it should be 2 CD imo

The weapon looks balanced. Maybe even a little weak considering units like Lynja exist. I’d fix the condition so it’s not completely useless in his first combat. I know it’s canon, but that doesn’t always translate directly to FEH

but still dies to the Reinhardt, 0/10 unit

3 Likes

Hm I personally would give the gauntlets a MT of either 9 or 10, wouldnt make much sense of them having as much MT as a sword and such
Weap effect is a bit much I would tone it down to a +6 and +7
The special kinda sucks ass, but thats pretty nice
Otherwise seems solid I guess dunno the char
Also he needs to 619 in his special attack

2 Likes

Because
A.) I’m not wowed by Reginn and tend to forget she exists
B.) He’s not a mythical or Legendary unit, so I’m not trying to put him on par with them. It’s why I toned him down from tying L!Kamui in stats.

I gave his weapon the condition because I felt that +20 ATK and +10 DEF all the time was a little much, even if I tried ignoring my self-rule to not god-kit. I did initially consider giving it a combination of A/D Solo 4 and A/D Bond 4. Giving him perma-buffs when alone while removing his own debuffs to those stats.

I initially planned to have his Gauntlets have 0 MGT and just pump his ATK up to 55 (I think was my original idea) on its own; but I ultimately decided against it. And, as TMFM pointed out, his Special is a toned-down version of Reginn’s because he’s not a Mythic unit so I toned it down for the same reason I dialled his stats down from L!Kamui.
Plus, we have a lot of broken-ass Specials as it is.

1 Like

Honestly I’ve no clue what Reginns special does too so ye :catlie:
Aight then :catdance:

1 Like

2 Likes

that was a insinuation that I dont care about her and what she does
thank you vader really cool of you :fgo_gudako:

2 Likes

Do you ever care about what a character does tho
Yup no problem glad to help

2 Likes

nah not really I’ll forget it anyways at some point :fgo_gudako: