New Unit Suggestion: Morgan, Dark Future

'Sup, bois. It’s been a while since my last draft; but I just had a spark of inspiration and I want to capitalize on it.

Morgan: Dark Future

“I won’t parley with you. My heart belongs to Grima now. You will not sway me from my master! If you insist on interfering, I swear I will destroy you!”
“Master Grima, I’ll never betray you. I’ll stay by your side no matter what form you take. I swear that all who stand against you shall fall by my hand!”

In an apocalyptic future, the twins Morgan loyally serve the Fell Dragon Grima and act as his emissaries, leading his army of the dead against the dwindling number left among the living.

STATS
HP: 40
ATK: 42
SPD: 31
DEF: 25
RES: 28
MOV: Infantry

BST: 166

SKILLS
Weapon: Goetia (Blue Tome) - “MGT: 14 - Grants DEF+3. Inflicts ATK/SPD/DEF/RES-5 on all foes within 2 spaces during combat. If unit initiates combat, unit makes a guaranteed follow-up attack and foe cannot counter. When unit deals damage to foe during combat, restores 10 HP to unit. (Triggers even if 0 damage is dealt.).”
Support:
Special: Encroaching Oblivion - CD: 3 - “Boosts damage by 30% of unit’s ATK. Disables non-Special skills that ‘reduce damage by X%’ and inflicts status on target and foes within 2 spaces of target preventing counterattacks through their next actions.”
A: Close Counter - “Enables unit to counterattack regardless of distance to attacker.”
B: Lull ATK/RES - “Inflicts Atk/Res-3 on foe and neutralizes foe’s bonuses to Atk/Res (from skills like Fortify, Rally, etc.) during combat.”
C: Savage Blow - “If unit initiates attack, foes within 2 spaces of target take 7 damage after combat.”

Basically, I saw a thread speculating on who we could expect from the Fallen Banner, and I suggested the Morgans together as a Duo unit completely off the cuff. And, because of that, I suddenly really wanted to draft them. So I did.
Basically, they fill the role of an offensive mage meant to brawl on the frontline by dealing good amounts of damage while simultaneously crippling their enemies, though a good offense could be enough to ofercome the dark emissaries.

REASONING
Goetia: The spell wielded by Male Morgan in the Future Past DLC, I decided to go and make the tome an amalgamation of M!Morgan’s “Grima’s Truth,” and the DLC’s F!Morgan’s Hauteclere (which restores HP), with a sprinkle of FEH F!Morgan’s “Father’s Tactics” refine in the AoE effects. Basically, the AoE from Tactics, the debuff status from Grima’s Truth, and the sustain from Awakening’s Hauteclere. It also kind of ends up resembling the Anathema effect that M!Morgan has in the DLC, so it works out.
Encroaching Oblivion: I made this up by looking at a few other skills in the game and designing something I felt fit with the theme of a pair of twins aiding the apocalypse. Disable mitigations short of Pavise and Aegis skills, since Mitigation seems to be the bane of everybody, while also offering an opening for allies to fight withought getting completely screwed by DR, since they don’t ignore it. The primary base skill of this was Altina’s “Twin Blades.”
Close Counter: M!Morgan in the DLC has the Counter skill, and I felt that adding this also synced up with the effect of his tome, since he’s a bit bulkier than one would expect given his heal and AoE debuff.
Lull ATK/RES: Beacuse at this point: why not? People complain in droves when I add a throwaway skill, so I may as well go ham this time.
Savage Blow: An initiation-based C-skill. I just wanted to give something nice and flexibly replaceable, but still usable on its own.

Thoughts on my idea? Comments, maybe? Concerns? Lemme know, feedback is welcomed. If you have someone you want me to take a crack at, feel free to ask that, too.

Archived Unit Suggestions

Unit Suggestions

Kaze, Easygoing Ninja
Aversa, the Dark One
Vaike, Zero to Hero
Inigo, the Flower Picker
Shinon, the Deadly Adept
Kjelle, the Fair Fighter
Panne, the Proud Taguel
Tatiana, the Saint of Duma
Kana(♂), the Child of Dragons
Kana(♀), Dragon Spawn
Velouria, the Wolf Cub
Kellam, the Oft-Forgotten
Walhart, the Conqueror
Hardin, the Dark Emperor
Gharnef, Dark Pontifex
Astram, Midia’s Pride
Reina, Morbid Fixation
Rudolf, Rigelian Emperor
Gangrel, Mad King
Berkut, Duma’s Knight
Nergal, Dark Druid
Say’ri, Blade Princess
Kiran, Legendary Summoner
Lianna, Aytolesian Princess
Anankos, Silent Dragon
Atlas, Village Protector
Rinkah, Scion of Flame
Altina, the First Apostle
Byleth, Observer of Time
Edelgard, Imperial Princess
Dimitri, Holy Heir
Sylvain, Sincere Knight
Seiros, Sacred Saint
Rhea, Vengeful One
Mycen, Valentian Legend
Balthus, King of Grappling

Unit Rework Suggestions

Elise, Light in the Dark

10 Likes

If they’re a duo unit, what’s their duo skill? Seems pretty good though

2 Likes

Didn’t draft one. That’s so much of a wildcard that I doubt I could craft one that would even be feasible.

2 Likes

Cool idea! I like the lore behind it, and the special inflicting a debuff like that is an interesting thought. Kinda makes him like a mage Kempf, but I like that Guard and Pulse Smoke effects give a way to potentially play around it. That’s a cool addition and something I wouldn’t mind seeing become a thing.

I dunno about it punching through mitigation as well, though. I’m in favor of more ways to do that, since more units are getting stronger variants of it now–lookin at you gustav and myrrh. But as it is this unit has auto-follow up and Dazzling, both of which kind of already demand specific counters, so the fact that they can turn off another one kinda bugs me.

I also have an issue with this weapon effect:

Inflicts ATK/SPD/DEF/RES-5 on all foes within 2 spaces during combat.

This is roughly comparable–better, if anything–to a spectrum +5 to all stats just all the time, and I believe every instance we’ve seen of spectrum +5 has had at least a flimsy condition.

The exception is Dire Brediablik, but that’s on a unit we can’t actually use most places–and not on defense teams, crucially–so I dunno, I wouldn’t take that to be setting a precedent for this being a thing, but I can see why some would.

It’s mainly that an effect like this is basically the weapon just going like “lol here’s a bunch of stats just for existing,” which is an advantage that literally can’t be countered by anything, and I don’t like the thought of that becoming a standard. And that on top of the healing and Dazzling effects seems like too much to me.

but hey this is maltet timeline we live in so that doesn’t mean it’s wrong or anything

Two more nitpicks:

If unit initiates combat, unit makes a guaranteed follow-up attack and foe cannot counter.

I believe there’s no reason to lump the “foe cannot counter” effect under an “If unit initiates combat” condition, since there’s no other time when the foe would be counterattacking. My reference for this is Dazzling Staff’s effect, which is just “Foe cannot counterattack.”

And Savage Blow 3 is on an old 4* unit, so if a duo unit came out this year I’d be real disappointed if it’s not at least a Savage Blow 4, since we have a fair number of tier 4 C slots now.

People complain in droves when I add a throwaway skill, so I may as well go ham this time.

Huh, do people think Lulls are throwaway now? I guess I can see that, they’ve been around for a while so they’re not super crazy rare anymore. And NCD would probably be much more of a jerk move with that weapon and CC so it could probably count.

Hope that wasn’t too negative overall. I really like the idea and there’s some cool thoughts here. Thanks for sharing it!

1 Like

Just woke up, so I’m only gonna address two points. I’ll comr back later and addrrss more if I remember.

Huh, do people think Lulls are throwaway now?

No. It used to be that when I’d draft a good unit with good skills, I’d balance it out by adding relative trash skills like a breaker or aomething, then get flooded eith comments like “Why would you add X-breaker” and blah blah blah. So this time I just went balls-to-the-wall and added more stuff tobstack their debuffs on the most important stats that the Morgans want debuffed.

Savage Blow 3 is on an old 4* unit

That doesn’t necessarily make it bad. Like I saod, I added it for simple flexibility reasons. Keep it if you want, trash it if you don’t, but it matches well with Morgan’s theme of crippling enemy forces.

I’m gonna go finish waking up, I’ll come back and reread what you said if I remember.

1 Like

So this time I just went balls-to-the-wall and added more stuff tobstack their debuffs on the most important stats that the Morgans want debuffed.

Okay gotcha, that makes sense. I misunderstand what you said originally, sorry about that.

That doesn’t necessarily make it bad. Like I saod, I added it for simple flexibility reasons. Keep it if you want, trash it if you don’t, but it matches well with Morgan’s theme of crippling enemy forces.

I did call it a nitpick for a reason :P It’s actually a skill I like on this unit, a lot. Splash damage pairs really really well with turning off counterattacks, I feel, so I think it is a desirable and useful skill on a unit like this. My point was just that it’s an easy enough to acquire skill that it being in the base kit here is very low value in terms of fodder. That’s not a big complaint at all.