New Unit Suggestion: Sylvain, Sincerest of Knights

<WARNING: POTENTIAL 3H SPOILERS MAY FOLLOW. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.>

Now that I’ve fired up my unit suggestions again, I’m back. New week, new unit. This week, I have some ideas that were asked of me; but I want to get one more character out first, a character that I was actually really inpressed with in Three Houses.

Sylvain: Sincere Knight

“I’m a nobleman with a Crest. The marriage proposals don’t stop coming. Everyone wants me. Except they don’t actually want me at all. They want my bloodline. Within my family and without, it’s always the same story. Sometimes I think that if I didn’t have a Crest, no one would look at me twice.”

Sylvain Jose Gautier is a student at the Officers Academy who hails from the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus and is a member of the Blue Lions. He possesses a minor Crest of Gautier and is the legitimate heir of the house after his elder brother was disinherited for lacking a Crest. He grew up with his childhood friends Dimitri, Felix, and Ingrid.

STATS
HP: 39
ATK: 34
SPD: 38
DEF: 28
RES: 25
MOV: Cavalier

BST: 164

SKILLS
Weapon: Lance of Ruin (Lance) - “MGT: 16. Eff: Dragons
Deals +10 damage when Special triggers. If Special CD is at 0 at the start of combat, grants ATK+6. Damage calculated using the lower of foe’s Def or Res.”
Support: Rally Up ATK+ - “Grants Atk+6 to target ally and allies within 2 spaces of target (excluding unit) for 1 turn.”
Special: Ruined Sky - “CD: 3.
Boost damage by 20% of foe’s Atk. If in combat against flying foe, boost damage by 40% instead of 20%.”
A: AR-D ATK/DEF - “If defending in Aether Raids, grants ATK/DEF+X during combat. (Calculates X based on number of your defensive structures: ≥5 structures grants +10; 4 grants +7; 3 grants +4; ≤2 grants +1. Destroyed defensive structures are not counted.)”
B: Swordbreaker - “If unit’s HP ≥ 50% in combat against a sword user, unit makes a follow-up attack and foe cannot.”
C: Fortify Cavalry - “Grants adjacent cavalry allies DEF/RES+6 through their next actions at the start of each turn.”

I. Adore. Sylvain.
I guess you could say that Sylvain to me is almost like Ferdinand is to @Bow-of-Sacae . So I had to make him my first post-release 3H unit. I couldn’t not.

For his BST, I wasn’t sure whether to make him Infantry or Cavalier; as his natural aptitudes lead him towards a cavalier class, but class freedom in 3H is much greater. He starts off as Infantry, but every unit starts that way. Can’t have every single 3H unit be Infantry, can we? So, ultimately, I made him a cavalier and gave him BST to match the strongest Lance Infantry we currently have (Fjorm, 164). I broke my own rule by not constraining him under B!Eliwood, but he’s only 2 higher with a similar constraint.
In use, he’s more of an offensive unit focusing heavily on his Special activation.

REASONING
Lance of Ruin: Sylvain’s “personal” weapon. While anybody is capable of wielding the Lance of Ruin, only one bearing the Crest of Gautier is able to unleash its power without repurcussion.
Given how Hero’s Relics are just powerful qeapons with no real unique benefits in and of themselves (aside from granting a unique combat art), I tried to make the weapon sync with Sylvain’s Crest ability as much as I could. The Crest of Gautier has a chance of increasing Might during Combat Arts, so I gave it a Harmonic Lance effect; but that seemed a bit basic for a Hero’s Relic, so I also gave it an ATK boost if Sylvain’s Special can be activated at the start of combat. This effect persists regardless of whether the Special activates or not, so if a unit with Guard, for example, attacks first and denies Sylvain’s the chance to activate his special, he still gets the ATK buff. I also ooted to give the weapon adaptive damage, as a nod to Sylvains Budding Talent in Reason, but also as a way to differentiate him from other Lance Cavaliers. As of posting this, I’m still thinking of ways to tweak and balance.
Rally Up ATK+: Sylvain’s personal skill in 3H allows adjacent female allies to deal increased damage while taking decreased damage. Replicating the gender effect in Heroes seems off, so I simulated a similar effect in a Rally and a Fortify skill.
Ruined Sky: The unique Combat Art granted by the Lance of Ruin. Similar to Byleth’s Ruptured Sky, Sylvain’s Ruined Sky is the Combat Art granted to him while wielding the Lance of Ruin. The Combat Art deals increased damage to Fliers and Dragons, so I really just had to shift the target of the skill’s bonus damage. Later, when thinking about it, I decided to give the Lance Dragon Effectiveness and the Flier damage is from the special, with the combination being catastrophic for flying dragons.
AR-D ATK/DEF: I try to avoid making the base kits of units I draft too overly powerful on their own, so I opted for a skil that kind of fits Sylvain, but nobody is actually going to use. I imagine most will probably swap this out for Distant Counter or an Initiation skill.
I wanted to make it Canto, a pseudo-Galeforce, but I’ll save that for another unit. Maybe an eventual Bernadetta or Ingrid. I’ve already crafted two skills from scratch for Sylvain, anyways.
Swordbreaker: A skill that Sylvain learns through levelling his Lance skills. Needed to round out the kit, so it’ll do.
Fortify Cavalry: As stated in his Rally skill, I seek to simulate hos personal skill in 3H.

Thoughts on my idea? Comments, maybe? Concerns? Lemme know, feedback is welcomed. If you have someone you want me to take a crack at, feel free to ask that, too.

Archived Unit Suggestions

Batch 1

Kaze, Easygoing Ninja
Aversa, the Dark One
Vaike, Zero to Hero
Inigo, the Flower Picker
Shinon, the Deadly Adept
Kjelle, the Fair Fighter
Panne, the Proud Taguel
Tatiana, the Saint of Duma
Kana(♂), the Child of Dragons
Kana(♀), Dragon Spawn
Velouria, the Wolf Cub

Batch 2

Kellam, the Oft-Forgotten
Walhart, the Conqueror
Hardin, the Dark Emperor
Gharnef, Dark Pontifex
Astram, Midia’s Pride
Reina, Morbid Fixation
Rudolf, Rigelian Emperor
Gangrel, Mad King
Berkut, Duma’s Knight
Nergal, Dark Druid
Say’ri, Blade Princess

Batch 3

Kiran, Legendary Summoner
Lianna, Aytolesian Princess
Anankos, Silent Dragon
Atlas, Village Protector
Rinkah, Scion of Flame
Altina, the First Apostle
Byleth, Observer of Time
Edelgard, Imperial Princess
Dimitri, Holy Heir

1 Like

Since he hits on girls all the time, I thought he would be better off with a tier 4 Bond skill. Maybe Atk/Spd Bond 4.

3 Likes

Swordbreaker, as it’s a skill he learns naturally using lances, AR-D because I already drafted two new skills with strong effects. I don’t draft god-kits, else I’d’ve given him Distant Counter, so I gave him two throwaway skills to counter his Lance and his Special. If it wasn’t those, they’d have been something else nobody uses, or they’d’ve been blank.

Any unit with high enough lance rating gets sword breaker. Also, the sword of the creator in TH is a one/two range weapon but it’s completely different in Heroes. I think that the lance of Ruin is amazing! Although, he should have a 2 cd special like how Belyth has a 2 cd special. If there are anymore sky specials, they will probably all be 2 cd

2 Likes

Yeah, the 1-2 range thing is all the SotC has, no innate effects beyond the Ruptured Sky art, so they had to tweak it.

Initially, I did his Sylvain’s Ruined Sky at CD2, but I thought that raising it to 3 might balance the Lance a little bit.

IS is all about power creep tho

True. But I try to keep things reasonable. It’s why I gave him an AR-D skill knowing that nobody will ever use it instead of something like Distant Counter. Hell, I generally don’t give a unit more BST than the strongest of their archetype (currently Brave Eliwood).

He’s an armor unit tho…
I would compare his bat to B!Eliwood. Make it a little lower since he isn’t brave tho.

I meant Eliwood.

1 Like

That makes more sense…

I would give him a lull skill instead of swordbreaker, but only because I don’t really like that skill. Overall he’s a nice unit, I don’t think he’ll get a new special, since Hilda didn’t get Apocalyptic Flame, but maybe he’ll get it in his timeskip alt

1 Like

Perhaps you’re right that he won’t have Ruined Sky. But a guy can dream.

Swordbreaker’s a throwaway skill I added, given how strong his lance/special can be, though. I don’t expect anybody to actually keep it. Same with AR-D.

1 Like