Nooby Dooby doo

Noob question here:

I was looking at Porygon and Porygon2 and Porygon Z and realized that I probably am missing a very big portion of what is going on with these (and other similar) mons.

Specifically- what is hidden power and how does it work?

For instance, looking at the rankings of Charge Beam and Zap Cannon tank behind Hidden Power and Zap Cannon.

But I’m wondering whether that is Normal Hidden Power like it is shown or is it Electric hidden power?

I’m kind of clueless about the hidden power and similar moves. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-TS

Hidden Power is a bit of a confusing move at first, so here’s a rough breakdown:

• What makes Hidden Power special is the fact that it can be any of 16 different types (it can’t be Normal or Fairy).
For instance, I have a Porygon Z with Hidden Power: Water and another with Hidden Power: Ghost. For all intents and purposes, those two moves function as Water and Ghost-type moves (in terms of what they’re super effective or not very effective against).

• When a Mon gets Hidden Power, the exact typing will be randomly selected. If you TM that Mon to a different move and then back to Hidden Power, it will receive the exact same Hidden Power again.
So for example, if I TM my Porygon with Hidden Power: Water to give it Charge Beam, then TM back to Hidden Power, it will still be Hidden Power: Water. That typing won’t change via TMs. Trading that Mon won’t change its Hidden Power either.

• When a Pokemon with Hidden Power evolves, the evolved form will once again be assigned a random Hidden Power type (if it can learn the move).
So if you have a Porygon 2 that knows Hidden Power: Steel and you evolve it, your Porygon Z is not guaranteed to also get Hidden Power: Steel. It will once again be randomly selected.

• Hidden Power is usually desireable in only certain scenarios. For example: Ho-Oh, who doesn’t have any standard Fire or Flying moves. A Ho-Oh with Hidden Power: Fire will synergize well with Fire Blast as its charge move. Similarly, a Ho-Oh with Hidden Power: Flying will synergize well Brave Bird.
In the case of Porygon Z, Hidden Power: Grass will synergize well with Solar Beam, Hidden Power: Ice with Blizzard, and so forth.

Hope that helps!

6 Likes

My remaining legacy hidden power Suicune are very underwhelming…dark, ghost, psychic, and ice…well, rock, too. Hidden Power generally just a gimmick, collector move. Even with Togekiss, charm is better.

I guess to be a thorough game guide discussion you could inform him and others when Hidden Power gets weather boosted. I kinda remember how that works, but not enough to advise others

***Reading some old google (SR) comments, looks like it was a visual bug back when partly cloudy was thought to be boosting all hidden power variants. Seems like the individual type of the hidden power gets the boost, which is how it should be. So a fire/grass/rock/fighting could help if your weather is getting it

Thank you. That is very helpful. I’m guessing that the basic problem is that hidden power isn’t a good move? No matter what it is?

Because I was thinking that if it paired up with the charge move (like electric with Thunder or something like that) it could be useful. But apparently only in rare instances?

Thanks again!
-TS

Hidden Power is a very average move; it doesn’t excel in damage output or energy gain. And that’s in PvE. In PvP battles, it’s pretty sub-par.

If the Hidden Power type matches up with one of the charge moves, it can become the most ideal move for that Pokemon, but these cases are few. Again, using Ho-Oh as an example, Hidden Power: Fire and Fire Blast is its best moveset against Grass, Bug, Ice, and Steel. However, this is only the case because Ho-Oh lacks any other Fire quick moves.

So let’s use Luxray as another example. Luxray can learn Spark and Hidden Power as its two quick moves. Even if you get lucky and get Hidden Power: Electric, it still won’t outperform Spark. This is because Spark can be used more frequently and has better energy gain.

1 Like

I should add to this: While hidden power grass pairs well with Solar Beam for grass damage, Charge Beam + Solar Beam is the better option for super effective damage against water unless it’s sunny . Furthermore, Charge Beam + Zap Cannon is better than Hidden Power Electric + Zap Cannon.

So pick wisely, because sometimes charge beam might just be the better fast move to go with.

1 Like

It has just dawned on me what my problem may be… I have VERY LIMITED exposure to POGO as it originally was played.

I never watched the shows on the tv. I never really played the card games. I just played POGO on iOS when it came out in 2016 when it came out.

My kids understand a lot of stuff I don’t because they have those things as reference points. I am having to understand things that are probably obvious to pogo game players from way back.

Zzzoooommm

I never played or care about Pokemon until Go app release date, however, played/caught everyday since. If you play consistently, just always being 50% current or aware of what’s happening is pretty good. Over time you will absorb some of the common sentiment.

Currently I don’t live in a place where I really want to run/walk/catch 50km+ a week or even coordinate raids (listen to others’ plan) on discord. However, I did get a Nintendo Switch a few days ago and I’m playing Lets Go Pikachu.

I’m about to get the Silph Flute, trying to get to Fuschia to start the mystery box integration. Not learning too much per say, but I’m seeing that some of the moves that are unreliable (flaky), often correlates with moves generally thought as flaky in Pokemon Go. When I get to a point where Pikachu can be my mascot instead of my go-to Thunder shock+double kick leader, I think I’ll absorb even more about some of the mechanics–on the Switch I’m good enough just with pokemon-typing so far

For Pokemon Go players who never played the console games or watched the anime, the most useful thing to learn is the type chart.

Combat in the console games is a lot more complex.

My only prior experience with Pokemon was playing the original Red/Blue games in the 90s. Never really watched the cartoons, and never picked up the card game. I effectively had a 20+ year hiatus from Pokemon before picking up Go and, other than remembering the basics like fire beats grass, I had to relearn everything from scratch.

GamePress has been really helpful in this regard, as all the data for specific moves is listed here. If I’m ever unsure of which move would be most optimal for any given Mon, I’ll just look up the moves it learns and make my own conclusions from there. Since move data (including: damage output, energy gain, move duration, damage window, etc) is listed on this site, I’ll use that information to make my own conclusions about which moves I’d want my Mons to have.

I would say it’s complex if you are minimally interested in competitive. If not, they are just very different, and with knowing some of the type chart you are pretty much done in the main game where abilities, physical/special stats and even altered states barely matter as there is no dominant strategy more than hitting a lot and strong.