Nowi's refine in retrospect

I know the DC refines were a bit ago but seeing made me think that Nowi was unfairly treated in her weapon. She had spectrum 4 stats and an addtinal effect but with reduced Mt and special cooldown deceleration. Though I feel like having those penalties don’t make her unviable they just seem unnecessary.

6 Likes

The one who was really unfairly treated is Effie.
Having a free A skill spot and invulnerability against penalties is worth the CD deceleration.

Honestly I expected her to lose the innate DC when we got her refine.

also it’s technically the first DC refine and IS was always scared of making them good.
The DC refine batch wasn’t that great either, sure it’s good but nothing gamebreaking.

17 Likes

I said from the moment we got it that it was good but could have been better, they had no reason to keep the special penalty and give it less MT than other DC weapons.

14 Likes

I think its a common consensus that Nowi’s refine is good but it is unnecessarily gated behind some arbitrary effects.

13 Likes

Yeah basically this. DC is still good, and the actual refine itself (stats and debuff nullification if HP >= 50%) is actually pretty damn solid. But the penalties that the base weapon has were absolutely unnecessary, and just kinda felt like a middle finger to f2p players wanting something good for once.

11 Likes

The fact bladetomes didn’t keep their downside when Olwen, Tharja and Odin got the blade effect as prfs really does make it a kick in the teeth for Nowi that she kept the penalties. Grima/Y!Tiki didn’t have them so they already had a template for prf DC breaths. And it’s not like her effect refine’s any better than the other DCs now.

11 Likes

To be honest, Nowi’s refine felt more like an experimentation than a real refine.
They valued built in DC a lot back then.

12 Likes

I mean, they still do.

The DC refines outside like, Ryoma’s, were all pretty eh. Not garbage but could be better, and I would argue that Nowi’s refine is still better than most of them.

6 Likes

Back then

You say that like it was a long time ago lol, it’s only been a little over half a year pretty sure

5 Likes

Sorta yeah.

If u think about it. Xander got hectors exact refine minus the null effectiveness, anti debuffs, slaying, and garonteed falowups

… ■■■■ u intelligent systems.

i still like xanders refine tho

9 Likes

Me too lol, I need to give him a better build lol

4 Likes

I bet you would’ve preferred that his refine grants him a brave effect, make his damage magical and allows him to attack at 2 range, isn’t it ? :feh_rein:

5 Likes

I’d argue that BK actually got a good one, slaying does a lot for him tbh. Especially when combined with special fighter. Don’t underestimate the power of an instant black luna.

8 Likes

I legit forgot they got refines as part of the dc refines whoops.

But yeah slaying black luna is good, and its nice for them to be able to use something that isn’t just slaying inheritable.

5 Likes

Honestly I’m surprised that slaying weapons can get such good effects in addtion to it since their one of the better effects in the game and there isn’t a skill to replicate it like with DC

3 Likes

As a +10 BK owner, I’d say that while his refine isn’t as shiny as some others, he still got exactly what he needed. He has a much easier time to activate Black Luna and got more stats to compete against powercreep.
Sure, I would’ve liked a Null Guard or an Anti-DR effect, but it’s very good already.

5 Likes

Hector don’t have DC in his weapon :feh_thinkinglikelukas:

7 Likes

Slaying is hardly its own effect anymore, it’s just something they lazily slap onto weapons when they can’t think of anything else to give them.

13 Likes

“Build-in DC isn’t enough anymore, noboby will pull for these units !”
“Ok give them slaying”

And that’s how Osian and Say’ri were created.

9 Likes

“But that might be too good so make the DC have a condition! F!Edelgard? What about her? She’s perfectly balanced.”

7 Likes