OG!Marianne: Standing Out from the Crowd

Marianne is a +10 target of mine, but I still haven’t settled on a build for her. Further complicating the matter, a couple of my other favorite characters are also blue mages. I want to give Marianne a strong build, but I don’t want her to be redundant with my other blue mages.

Her main competition:

My Lute is a WIP, but this is the build I’m aiming for.

Hapi is mostly on her base kit. Aside from flowers and Atk/Res Menace if I ever get the fodder, her build likely won’t be changing any time soon. (seal is usually Atk/Res Solo)

Builds I'm considering

I’m leaning toward this one because I don’t have any Windsweep mages at all right now. However, her weapon doesn’t give true NFU, so she can still have her follow-ups denied. Also, she needs her speed for doubles, but 32 base speed is pretty mediocre. Maybe she’d be better with L&D seal.

A more standard PP Marianne. My concern is that this build can’t handle much Lute or Hapi can’t handle already.

Focusing on her EP could give her a niche. She’s not great at physical tanking, but it would set her apart from the res-heavy Lute and Hapi.

Any suggestions on Marianne (or even any on Lute or Hapi) would be greatly appreciated!

Summoning Marianne experts
@Reality @nobody625 @Blutgang_Her0

9 Likes

I know @Reality runs his with CF (or maybe CR or CC) with much success.

7 Likes

Kills me regularly too :feh_cancer:

6 Likes

Thanks for the @ :fgo_jeannyes:

I haven’t entirely sorted out mine’s build tbh. I think I’m going for spd centric build, but no windsweep. I like getting around wary fighter stuff lol :feh_legion_miso:. Not to mention focusing on spd means she won’t get doubled as much if at all, meaning she has higher bulk essentially, which is very important against physical foes. If you go spd w/ windsweep, then probably have a spd boosting seal as well. She honestly needs it quite a bit.

I considered running a ranged tank build with NCD but frankly… she’s just a worse Micaiah or Guinevere at that role.

SI+def boosting stuff is decent, but I feel she’s tanky enough already to take most retaliation hits even without many def boosting skills because of lull and her weapon. It would make her a really reliable and strong nuke tho.

Probably this is what I’ll go for with her

Mixed phase, spd focused, gets around wary fighter effects, seal can be spd/def or atk/spd or whatever. Actually has decent physical bulk and heals a lot of it away anyways, so she can take a hit or two, and won’t really get doubled on either phase.

9 Likes

That I do :feh_mariannesip:

But as I’ve mentioned before, Marianne is a really flexible unit, able to be a nuke, a tank, or a support unit with good results.

Looking at what you have for Blue mages, Hapi seems to be your nuke and Lute has support covered with her Penalty weapon with good nuking potential herself. So, if you really want Marianne to stand out, do what I do and make her a tank! But, the A skill is pretty expensive, everything thing else not so much.

I usually run CF but CR comes in handy when going into, let’s say an Abyssal Mythic or Legendary Hero map with dragons, as it still provides the key +5 Def. I just find CF to be a bit more consistent cause more Atk means more healing with Noontime for me.

But, if EP isn’t what ya want, Marianne can always run a Windsweep build, she has enough Spd to make it work but will still encounter problems as @nobody625 mentioned. Plus, I think that’s more expensive if ya ask me

5 Likes

Oh yeah, here’s my usual build for Marianne

So, I’ll be honest, the S-support buff plays a significant role here, especially the +5 HP she gets from it, but she’s able to make a lot of attackers do 0 Dmg regardless. Anyway, you can change up for the C slot for Atk/Def Rouse or (another skill from Gatekeeper lol) Joint Drive Def. I prefer Atk Smoke cause of Luna, as more Def just makes it stronger.

7 Likes

Having used Reality’s Marianne in allegiance battles they put in tremendous work. Be it player phase, or in my case accidental enemy phasing with close counter. She’s honestly quite solid in a number of roles

6 Likes

WAIT REALLY?! THANK YOU! I’M GLAD SHE HELPS YOU OUT (I’m sorry, got a bit emotional) THANK YOU! :feh_marismile:

7 Likes

She kicks tremendous amounts of ass. I’ll pair her with my Duo Byleth get her across maps and switch to score higher

5 Likes

70 (or is it 68 in Alligence?) base Atk will do that, haha! Seriously, again, I’m glad she’s able to help out!

5 Likes

I believe it’s 70, but regardless that additional 9 atk and bulk makes it hard for her to actually just die. Especially if I sit flayn behind her and have fallen edelgard rampaging at the other spawn points.

5 Likes

Yeah, I plop Flayn behind her too in some modes, but I usually use Duo Hilda cause more Marianne lol and the instant Noontime

5 Likes

Perfectly logical response with no bias whatsoever. I approve this message. More Marianne is all that’s good in these trying times

5 Likes

:feh_navarreculture:

The only right answer lol

5 Likes

Honestly considering giving my own Marianne pulse smoke and maybe steady impact from a spare Brigid. Not sure yet as genealogy is life

5 Likes

Ya know, Steady Impact nor Pulse Smoke crossed my mind, definitely interesting! Which I’m all for! I mean, I made mine into a tank so why not lol. Though, I would give it some thought

4 Likes

Shes got a workable spd stat and wants a bit more physical bulk for safer initiations but mostly I’d like to just maximize skill inheritance

5 Likes

Ah… makes sense. The inheritance part, we all know Marianne likes the bulk and Spd

5 Likes

Still in codes though…

5 Likes

Yes, but a grand total in 6,000 codes and you still have give up one of the best inheritable bows in the game. I got lucky with a free summon for my CF. But I totally agree, codes help a ton for this skill

4 Likes