Personally Favorite Under-rated Pokemon

Looking for a fun discussion of your favorite, under-rated Pokémon!

Disclaimer: the purpose of this topic is not to discuss why some 'mon should be top tier meta-pick, there are plenty of other posts for that discussion. I want to know your favorite under-mon whether its something that helped you grind out Machamp raids or just a non-meta favorite. There’s hundreds of Pokémon to choose from, so what was your under-rated pick?

Here are my favorite, under-rated Pokémon:

Magcargo - his typing gives some good resistance interplay and being blessed with good moves, this spicy escargot is one I love to pull out for fire and bug raids (if I’m not on a short-man). Plus, he’s smokin in PvP!

Xatu - long-time favorite for gyms and Machamp raids (before I got a Lugia or decent Gardevoir as anchor) blessed with high DPS moves in Air Slash and Future Sight. One of these is my 3rd oldest Pokémon.

Golem - though not a meta-pick anymore (except for Rocket stops), these grumpy rocks will always have a spot in my heart (and sometimes on my team). Plus, I don’t have to eat through TMs to get a decent moveset (coughRhydon/Rhyperiorcough).

1 Like

Leafeon is my personal favorite Eeveelution and is a pretty great grass attacker. It just gets overlooked due to the insane grass competition but no one should feel bad about using one!

Dialga is also pretty underrated. I find that it has gained more of a following recently due to rocket battles, but whether its raids, pvp, or R battles, it’s always a great choice.

1 Like

If I had to pick my favorite underrated Pokemon, it would have to be Arcanine. The original “legendary” Pokemon (check Arcanine’s Dex entry if you’re not sure what I mean by this), and the top-ranked Fire attacker in the early days of the game. Not to mention that it’s a big, adorable, fire dog-tiger. What’s not to love?!

He’s fallen from grace (a lot) over the years, but will always hold a special place in my heart. While he may not currently be best-in-class in any scenario, you can still use Arcanine as an attacker, defender (surprise! Wild Charge!), or in PvP and not look like a fool. It’s outclassed, but far from useless.

3 Likes

Here’s my favorite two:

• Heatran - Even if it has only fire blast, it also 4x resists anything that it can hit with super effectiveness, which means that it’s TDO can be way higher than the theoritical highest TDO of fire, Entei. It can even kill a blissey without a single scrape!
  • Latias - It’s surprisingly fast and strong and hits at around the same power as Tyranitar, and in some cases can survive attacks better than Dialga. Weakness to ghost and dark hampers its effectiveness against Rocket Grunt Golbats, Raticates and Lick Snorlaxes, however.
2 Likes

Gardevoir. I love to put her in gyms and she helped me a lot in machamp raids. Gardevoir was my first lucky hundo when nobody really used her. First pokemon that i maxed out.

1 Like

My first gym attacker was Tentacruel: Poison Jab + Blizzard completelly demolished vaporeon + dragonite cores, and can hit SE on Exeggutor despite suffering from confusion hits. I still have it and use it to remember good old times when I see a dragonite or vaporeon in a gym

1 Like

My wife uses Latias bunches! She got a good weather-boosted one this Spring and it’s her go-to for ML PvP, Rocket battles, and a lot of raids. My fave’ legendary Dragon though is Dialga (I’m with you @milkz).

2 Likes

Scizor, I really like the aesthetic, and i love the speedy attacks of Fury Cutter and X-Scissor.

2 Likes

In the main games I play the Ruby version when I was on school and love Sableye typing because it didn’t have any weakness (many years later fairies appear). I still love the little imp design although it doesn’t have any kind of use in pkm go.

1 Like

Sableye was a very powerful Mon in Great League PvP before Charm was introduced. It’s still a good option now, though Charm tears through it very quickly.

This was something I always liked about Sableye as well. Plus, the twitching animation it does while idle is quite creepy.

2 Likes

Hm…Claydol maybe? It’s actually a quite good defender and decent PvPer but GamePress’s analysis makes it seem like another bad Pokemon in the bunch.

2 Likes

My brother traded me a Nidoran Male on a random trade and it became a lucky one. (98%). At the time, Nidoking didn’t had Earth Power, but it had Poison Jab/Sludge Wave. I maxed him out and it was very funny to use! I beat every single gym with my Nidoking. I felt powerful because he had a nice double poison-type set.

1 Like

One of my favorites is my PVP Cacturne. Right now he’s 2042 CP but I’d like to bump him up a little more still. He’s got Sucker Punch/Grass Knot/Dynamic Punch and is pretty formidable in the gym game. Yeah, Legacy Breloom can carry that same double charge set but Breloom doesn’t have Sucker Punch and also Breloom dies by everything.

I’ve got a lucky Solrock and lucky Lunatone I love using. They came from space and I gave them both second charge moves so they would have themed moves (Solar Beam and Moonblast). Their movesets are busted and again like I said they came from space.

People dump on Articuno but I gave my hundo Ice Shard to go with Ice Beam and it’s a very tough gym attacker. I love the idea of ice-elemental type creatures.

1 Like

Not exactly a pokémon, but a way to use them: I enjoyed using Nidoking, Rhydon and possibly Golem in Red/Blue and giving them off-type moves in addition to earthquake ou rock slide. These had the widest coverage in my team. Would have been fun to be able to use them like that in go (and no, there is no way I buy my Rhyperior a 2nd charge move and burn through TMs until I get Surf, this is just not worth it in GO).

I’d like Ditto to be more useful too. I sometimes dump one in a gym, thinking a 400cp mon has some staying power, while being able to transform into a 2000cp mon for fighting! Unfortumately it’s so frail it’s useless. Same thing on attack.

Overall, I got the impression you could use almost any pokémon of a given type and that was good enough. I could use Hypno as my main psychic fighter, Pharamp (edit: I meant Ampharos) as electric or Tentacruel as water, that was fine. Not in go, where so many pokémon are useless.

1 Like

Heracross. It’s a regional that’s not in my area i got via trade and so i feel special using him. He’s my Machamp!

2 Likes

What is a Pharamp?

The french name for Ampharos

1 Like

Oops, sorry about that, got confused :grin: I meant Ampharos indeed.

Recently I’ve enjoyed using Ditto to help take down gyms! As a kid, I absolutely loved his Transform gimmick, and he’s still one of my favorites today.

In the gym battle, I’ll pick a trainer’s Pokémon I want to study and let Ditto transform into them to see if they have the optimal moveset a defender should have, hehe :wink: And sometimes those transformations result in some really weird attack combos, so it’s fun to think on my feet and adapt to what Ditto and I are given in order to win.

Outside of Ditto, I’ve always loved my Hoenn starters but since their respective Community Days, I know they’re not so under-rated anymore. :unamused: :joy:

2 Likes