Pokemon Go power up at level 40

Hi!

I have reached level 40 and if I want to power up pokemon to max CP at level 40 I have to use XL candy. I have regular candies, but the game gives me no choice and I have to use XL candy. Is this Ok? For example my mewtwo CP is 4132 (max CP at level 40 is 4178) and I can power up only with XL candy (but I have regular candies).

In short; yes. It was part of the “Go Beyond” update of a couple of years ago, to give longer standing players something more to do. The below guide isn’t a bad one to explain it:

1 Like

Technically you can change regular candies into XL candies - it takes 100 regular candies to make a single XL candy, though, so it’s only a realistic option for the most common of Pokemon.

1 Like

Hi @PokemonRioBjj !
Only levels beyond level 40 require XL candy. Depending on your IVs, level 40 might be a different CP, i.e. a 10/10/10 Mewtwo will hit lvl 40 at a lower CP than a 15/15/15 Mewtwo.

1 Like

What nobody said: now that you reached lvl 40, you can power your mons up to lvl 50, that’s the current maximum. you just have to use XL candy. Quite logical, not? :D (of course it’s not logical, it’s a weird Niantic thing)
By the way, now your buddy can deliver XL candy by walking it. Best investment by walking is, without a doubt, Gyarados, with 1 candy per km. (XL candy not guaranteed, but up to 80%)

1 Like