[Poll] Was FGO a mistake?

• Yes it was. Nasuverse should’ve remained separate with Mahoyo cameos. They’re desecrating historical figures with waifu-ness.
  • No it wasn’t. A multiverse with concrete connection is inevitable. The Heroic Spirit system is a good way to re-imagine the world’s historical, legendary, and mythical figure outside of the values/settings of their original age/mythos.

0 voters

Yep. There is no point complaining about anymore though, because FGO became pretty much the flagship of the Nasuverse, but the game had one of the worst influences on the setting just due to the number of new inconsistent elements and characters it introduced. The only thing that had an even worse effect would be the EXTRA/Extella-verse, but that one’s incluence on canon can actually be linked to FGO as well, because originally it was a separate universe with its own rules for servants in the Moon Cell, but then through FGO they got introduced into the mainline Nasuverse, and now even what little consistency remained is out of the window.

That said, as far as I’m concerned, the Nasuverse is one of those settings that is best not taken seriously at all, considering how half of the entries in it are either spoofs (Carnival Phantasm, most of Hollow Ataraxia and Kagetsu Tohya), sequels based on endings that didn’t exist in the original (Carnival Phantams again, Melty Blood), or spinoffs that only loosely borrow from the universe (Prisma Illya, Apocrypha, Strange/Fake, etc,), and then we haven’t even talked about all the zaniness that is the FGO events…

6 Likes

I applaud you for being the only one to actually include your own reasoning.

Imagine Zelretch crossing over to the EXverse and finding that Crimson Moon he just fought didn’t exist. Like, imagine a whole celestial body is different since its creation. That ain’t a branch of history anymore. It’s another whole damn tree.

But I do appreciate the fact that FGO allows interactions between historical/legendary/mythical figures that’s otherwise not possible. I think the best attitude to take towards any overarching multiverse work of fiction is to lay it light on the lore and system and just appreciate the characters.

Meanwhile they piss us off with things like Jack’s later Ascension art…

1 Like

That said, as far as I’m concerned, the Nasuverse is one of those settings that is best not taken seriously at all, considering how half of the entries in it are either spoofs (Carnival Phantasm, most of Hollow Ataraxia and Kagetsu Tohya), sequels based on endings that didn’t exist in the original (Carnival Phantams again, Melty Blood), or spinoffs that only loosely borrow from the universe (Prisma Illya, Apocrypha, Strange/Fake, etc,), and then we haven’t even talked about all the zaniness that is the FGO events…

Pretty much this. There are so many spin offs and alternate timelines that… whatever.

If you really want to commit ‘suicide by hardcore fans,’ just step on over to Beast’s Lair.

might be better to say this:

The mistake was “if only FGO and the other ‘serious’ spinoffs / non-spoofs like Extra, Apocrypha, Case Files had been written just a ~little~ better from the beginning to address these continuity issues, but otherwise no complaints”

But I don’t think Nasu knew just how successful FSN would turn out to be, or how lucrative FGO would become. Good news for the franchise, I guess

Oh yeah, I just remembered they even have inconsistencies between spinoffs. In order for Apoc to happen, the Fuyuki Grail needs to be stolen after the 3rd war. This meant that the 4th war couldn’t have happened in Fuyuki, which means Waver wouldn’t have participated in it and Kayneth wouldn’t have died. Yet in Apoc epilogue we see Waver teaching Modern Magecraft, which should have been Kayneth’s class at that time.

2 Likes

Nasu got inspiration for FSN from a DnD session he had with some friends.

It’s a no brainer really.

I think it was something else - he was inspired by a novel

Assuming this translation is correct

Well considering some of the details in the VN itself, I’m not totally willing to consider DnD not being a part of it. But thanks for the info. xD

the Servant’s character sheets in the original VN, yeah I can see that being derived from DND

I dont think it’s really desecrating anything? Who cares if they turn a historical/fictional character into whatever you want. The writer/artist can interpret/alter it however they want as long as the original source isnt tampered with

1 Like

Well maybe some of the Abrahamic faith takes offense on Prophet David being turned into a pervert.

They do the same with figures from other faiths as well so I dont see the issue. Once something is published people can interpret it however they want

Yeah but… Saver from CCC and the plethora of Hindu gods aren’t portrayed as perverts (Ganesha is a fat NEET but its explained as Jinako being the dominant personality). Only David is portrayed as himself and his true self being a pervert. Even if I wasn’t an Abrahamic I’d at least cry favoritism. At least make every religious figure degenerates too.

fgo was a mistake cuz it now takes up all of my time and 75% of my hobby money.

10 Likes

Dont forget the salt

salt i can deal with. poketar learned at a young age when trying to catch legendary bird pokemon on gen 1 games that rng is a bitch and to always prepare more materials in advance if you really want something.

2 Likes

I wouldnt say it’a favoritism, they just interpreted each individual different. Nobody has it out for david or other figures