Potential Inheritors of Surge Sparrow?

So I’m looking through my barracks to clean up a little bit, and I remembered while doing so that I still have two Brave Eirika’s that I’m not going to do anything with once I get their DFs and level-40 convo. So I got to thinking if I had anybody who might be a good option to run woth her Surge Sparrow instead. Problem is, I’m not sure who would be a good option to go with, if I go with anybody at all.

Here are all my melee units, for reference. Far as I can tell, that's the only restriction.

Notable possibilities (in order of my sorting style):
  1. Reginn. Free unit, but difficult to merge up. Offensive unit by nature with a built-in Canto. Little DP ability necessary.
  2. Eliwood. Free, easy to merge, still a fairly solid unit.
  3. Catria (Echoes). One of my favorite units, though not well-merged. Currently runs SS3 and Dive Bomb, but could easily swotch to Surge Sparrow and a Trace for hit-and run nukage/survivability.
  4. Dagr. Because she is Dagr. Plus, mine runs Close Call so she’s somewhat PP-oriented already and Surge Sparrow would give her a modicum of self-sustainability and getting rid of her self-burn (this, freeing up her seal slot so MB can go to someone else).
  5. Ninjamir. Fast, badass, and - best of all - free. She could make good use of Surge Sparrow and - with a refinable axe - have good bulk to go along with it.
  6. Summer Norne. Similar to Ninjamir, but blue.

Many good options I have in my list, such as Byleth and Fiora, are set to be Galeforcers and would require a small overhaul; but are still options.

NOTES: Cordelia would like A/S Catch, IMO, and Naesala’s Forma already has Surge Sparrow from his event.

This, of course, is assuming I went through with inheriting this skill kow at all. I may (and likely will) save at least one for down the road.

So what units do I have that you guys think could make a good user of Surge Sparrow? Anybody I listed? Somebody I don’t have?

1 Like

Or… you could merge her Totally not biased

But for real, I wouldn’t suggest Eliwood because he usually prefers GF which doesn’t work with it. So my also totally not biased opinion say Dagr, for she deserves the best :feh_dagrsmile:

8 Likes

brave Eirika

Well in all seriousness she’s just a really good unit, and uses the skill well.

Otherwise I would say any non galeforce PP unit, ideally one with null guard to ensure special proc.

3 Likes

Reginn / Canto units.

Player Phase melee unit only fill a role throught Galeforce (in AR), except units with canto that can be serviceable throught hit&run strategy.

Reginn comes with a pre-charge 3 turn special so a good amount of healing to sustain chip damage like Duma/Kempf (or even bolt trap/tower)

'tho i would just merge because B!Eirika is a good unit to begin with, with a guaranteed refine in two years.

2 Likes

Can’t wait for B.Marth’s refine to have a scroll option on it to read all the text

8 Likes

I feel like Reginn isn’t that good a choice, TBH. Her special is instantly charged, which means she’s nuking instantly. Either her opponent dies, or she takes a hit, but Surge Sparrow won’t heal her because her special’s already been used. After initial combat she needs to charge it again, which is fine but she also has no guard negation, meaning it could be shut down pretty hard.

5 Likes

hahahahaha

1 Like

Like i said, there is no good option, cus good PP melee units are galeforce unit.

It’s not completely useless on Reginn cus her pre-charge special doesn’t mean she’ll be full life.

1 Like

Me with my Moonbow Petrine who slaughter’s so many units who only needs Flow Guard to be the absolute best she can reach

4 Likes

The issue is not so much about the ability to slaughter without Galeforce, cause Galeforce rather makes it harder to slaughter a single unit.

The issue is that 2 actions is better than one.
Also, there isn’t many role in which a player phase melee unit doesn’t get outclassed in AR-O. Except Galeforce, ofc.

1 Like

Eirika isn’t my favorite lord but her Brave version is so good that she constantly gets into my teams when it requires a really aggressive approach.

I would at least keep a copy and eventually merge to +1, minimum. She is one of those units that will last for a year, at least.

6 Likes

If you’re going to run your Ayra/Larcei PP rather than EP (DC) then I would defs give her Surge Sparrow. A lot of good units for it would rather run Galeforce but with Regnal Astra being to this day a bonkers special, its worth keeping on her. Surge Sparrow providing a DR Ayra with some sustained healing is a really strong option. Plus if you’re not going to run her with Time’s Pulse then she can make good use of the Atk/Spd Menace too!

4 Likes

She wouldn’t get much healing though, since with her weapon it’s a one turn special.

3 Likes

I mean…If I’m doing the math right, Ayra wpuld heal for 30 HP of the 45 mine has (+HP, so that’s a good 75% of her health); and Larcei heals for 79% of her HP (30/38, mine’s +DEF/-HP). Especially with DR, that’s not insignificant; and it’s a frequent proc to boot.

Halo will patiently wait for her refine, but only for 2 years. After that, he will begin his assault.

4 Likes

Im pretty sure you aren’t doing the math right. Ayra would heal 13 HP with a 1 CD Regnel Astra.

4 Likes

I see where I made my mistake, I did “CD×20*%*+ 10,” not “(CD×20+10)%”.

Either way, it’s still a fairly frequent proc so she’d be healing repeatedly. Add DR to her, and it only gets better.

3 Likes

Exactly. I run mine EP with Mystic boost just for that sweet sweet 6HP sustain lol so doubling that to 13 sounds pretty dope

Edit: Plus with Time’s Pulse it’ll proc twice on PP so she can heal 13 to start combat and then heal 13 again after being hit. (Like those on hit heal weapons that only give 5hp but you get 13 :D )

2 Likes

I still think it’s funny that Surge will heal you 100% with a 5 charge Special… in which unless the units weapon adds another charge (rip Nowi) the only Special with a 5 charge that will trigger Surge’s healing is Aether

6 Likes