Quick, arts & buster/AOE & ST: Team building discussion

I’ve been playing for few months now, & I’ve been using basic strategy: Using Mash as a tank (increase Def to all & Atk to others) & AOE for other positions, mostly Buster NP servants. Rarely I use ST when I’m about to fight a single boss battle.
I feel like I don’t understand how to devise strategies based on NP type, I don’t know the advantage of using either Quick or Arts based servants, I don’t properly make use of healing servants nor I can devise strategy based on ST servants.
Give me your thoughts on this.

1 Like

for a new player still in story, it’s true that most of your battles will have multiple waves of enemies, this is normal. its true that ST servant are less used than aoe servants.
as for strategy, gamepress actually has a few guides for you to look at, although it’s not comprehensive by any means, and is outdated, it gives you a decent idea of how to start

beyond that, it really is up to you to read up on each servant and figure out how their skills work, and in conjunction with each other, as well as finding out what enemy gimmicks you may have to deal with.

1 Like

Well I’ve finished Arc 1 & about to finish Arc 1.5, with no intention to play Arc 2 until it’s completely released (it may be more than 2 years for NA) so mainly it’s not for the story but for faster events finishing.
I’m looking forward to some updated way of thinking, but thanks for your answer. It’s sure worth looking at.

On the topic of healing Servants, they aren’t widely used because they are so niche.

However, sustain has more value during blind story progression, where you might not be able to wrap up a node in 3-4 turns. One of the many reasons Merlin is beloved for Buster lineups in particular is that his NP grants, among other bonuses, healing every turn. Most Servants with significant healing have substantial downsides like low value buff support or extreme fragility, but Merlin (and, to a lesser extent, Tamamo) provides healing along with best-in-class card buffs.

1 Like

I just want to note, there are events gated behind story clear. Halloween with Shuten (Caster) for example will ask that you clear LB2 of Arc 2, and even in JP Arc 2 just finished up LB5.2. It’s not all the time, but it’s also far from the only example.

Well I certainly remember using Merlin support(don’t remember if it was yours or not :grinning:) for Saber war event against Mysterious X, I finished in 20 or more turns but at least I survived, so I understand what you mean. However it’s the only time I could make use of healers :laughing:

1 Like

No worries I’m aware, I need Grey as my assassin which mean by her event I should clear what’s available of Arc 2 but…Let’s see then :smirk:

More power to you then.

My suggestion would be to run Merlin support, Mash, and literally any Buster-focused units you enjoy using (be they ones with ‘standard’ QAABB or ‘gorilla’ QABBB decks or whatever), in some easier quests and occasionally harder quests, just so you can more keenly internalize Merlin’s “engine” and just how ridiculously self-sufficient it is with proper play. A common and practical setup for challenging content is 1-2 (generally 1) DPS’ and the rest as supports. All-in-all, outside of niche applications and units in Irisviel and Medea (Lily), he’s your best proper ‘healer’ due to the issues those former two have which I won’t get into right now due to irrelevancy. Well, there is also Tamamo for Arts-focused comps, but she’s much less plug-and-play than Merlin who really does, well, have it all.

Once you understand that, it’s essentially a matter of picking the right ST unit for the right ST quest, as the essentials of the play don’t change dramatically, so much as they can vary depending on your DPS (a bulkier DPS like Diarmuid (Saber) can allow you to play slower, a DPS like Okita benefits from faster make’em-dead play, a DPS like Lancelot (Saber) with literally no defensive tools heavily benefits from more babying or else RIP your comp, etc). Likewise AOE for AOE quests (although various amazing AOE units can handle ST quests too).

I suggest him specifically due to being the most splashable of the supports for protracted battles, and asking you to work with what he’s got rather than e.g. Waver’s plug-and-chug in his skills. Important to know that as long as you can survive basic card damage and keep stable, you can win a battle of attrition regardless of card type, provided you also have a way of managing NPs which varies dramatically by team and is something that’s learned in time. Merlin’s invincibility skill allows time to figure out when to pop what skills, and if you’re in trouble, pop it, no-sell, heal up, continue chugging. In the end you’d really have to look at a specific Merlin/Buster DPS/secondary supports comp and ask what can be done and how, and what can’t be done and why, and go from there (be it by direct questioning, experience, whatever).

2 Likes

Wow it’s so detailed I feel like crying :joy: Many thanks for your precious advice, sire.

Actually, to boot, I remembered a video which IMO was also a very handy showcasing of what I mean when I talk about “Merlin’s engine” and particularly in tandem with a defensive powerhouse like Mash (legit, make 10/10/10ing her a long-term goal,she costs half of an SR in terms of skill costs, never mind cheap as heck mat costs, and can take you really far).

Specifically this video by Kery Games which is an entirely F2P approach to a Challenge Quest (since you can just borrow a high NP support Merlin easy). Euryale is used for deleting Waver early for practicality lest things go south, but it’s still your typical 1 DPS/2 support frontline. Long, too, for better and for worse (for better for you in terms of seeing what I mean, for worse in that the longer fights go on the more at risk you are if your team isn’t properly managed).

I can also recommend watching him in part to watch 3/4/5T videos of farming nodes, and understanding how things can flow together in that respect as well. You sure won’t be able to pull off what is shown, but understanding things like NP refund, when to charge, the importance of charges, etc is all valuable.

Also, it’d actually be dame or w/e in my case. :stuck_out_tongue: Happy to help either way.

2 Likes

Those pages are way out of date.

They are, but the overall composition and strategy advice is still accurate (though, Skadi will definitely cause a full re-write for the “Staple Quick Team”).

Basically, the main team archetypes are:
Buster-crit (with Merlin)
Arts stall (with Tamamo/Jeanne)
Arts Loop (With Tamamo/Nero Bride)
Quick Loop (with Skadi)

I think those four cover pretty much every optimized team.

1 Like

It’s a tad nitpicky, but Buster NP farming, especially using more than one damage-dealer and/or using Arash, deserves a mention. Much more common and easier to enable than reliable Buster Crit.

Stall isn’t optimized for anything but spending extra time outside of the rare quest where survival over X turns is the win condition, but I suppose it is a viable option for newer players since one of the best defensive supports, OG Mash, is a freebie, and building on that for basic stall isn’t difficult.

1 Like

I guess I never really thought of 3-turn/3 NPs farming as a “team archetype”. You pretty much just cobble together whatever charge CEs/battery servants you have, some servants with AoE NPs, and go for it. Not really any coherent strat other than, “Charge up and nuke”.

I tend to liken teams in FGO to the deck archetypes in Magic: the Gathering: Aggro, Contol, and Combo.

Buster-crit is aggro, basically a damage race with little defense. You have to kill them before they wear down all your HP. You may have heals, but the team will never stabilize, you will only survive a limited number of turns.

Arts stall is control. You have enough heals and defense to handle card damage, and enough charge drain and hard defense to no-sell NPs, essentially allowing you to survive forever (or at least longer than you should need to win.

NP Loop teams are combo, you found the perfect set of servants and CEs to trivialize the fight with minimal RNG impact.

1 Like

With those definitions, Arts and Quick NP looping aren’t substantially different in application than the Buster equivalent of utilizing more NP charge support, starting NP gauge CEs, and additional damage NPs.

There is very little strategy involved in any traditional NP-spamming scenario since all you need to do is determine a workable team upfront and then spam it as much desired to enjoy the same result over and over.

1 Like

Yep, that is pretty much what it’s like playing a combo deck. You design it to win the same way, every time, in the fewest turns possible.

And only with cards that you own, with one joker allowed. So it’s possible that your roster does not allow yet for certain types of plays. For example, going for crit-oriented strats may prove very difficult if you lack a reliable way to produce a lot of stars on each turn (or on that one-turn Jalter chain).