Random Ascension Levels: Yay or Nay?

So since that big swathe of early updates just after anni, we’ve had the option to set our Ascension levels to random for each Servant, both for personal use and support listing. While for most of the cast, there’s not really enough of a difference to bother, I’ve found myself quite taken with the feature for a couple of highlights, mostly Summer 5*s. So far, I’ve set Junao, Jarcher, BBikini, Space Ishtar and Caster Nero to random and I actually enjoy it quite a bit, especially because there’s different voice lines for their NPs. I’m debating Skadi as well, but I haven’t actually pulled out my own Skadi for non-automated play in months.

So I’m curious about how much mileage this feature is getting at everyone’s Chaldeas. Do you find that, where a Servant has different designs per Ascension, you normally have one favourite you’d like to stick to? Is there often one design you dislike so much that you wouldn’t use random ascensions just to avoid it? Or have you also embraced the RNG inside your RNG and set some of your headliners to random? Would you do it if you could subset ascensions for characters like BB or OG Nero who have a lot of (debatably too many) costumes? Or is this just a dead feature?

10 Likes

Kama will be final ascension permanently. It’s not that I hate loli-Kama but that FA NP is just too awesome.

13 Likes

I only use this feature on the Valkyries. It’s the only one that felt like it made any sense. Everyone else is too similar to each other ascension.

16 Likes

:feh_bigbeauty: :handshake: :feh_bigbeauty:

Anyway, I like customizing my ascensions. I’ll usually stick with my personal favorite, not a random one. Except maybe valks or MHXX

13 Likes

I use this feature for Ecchan and Fujino. All their ascensions are nice to look at, and I don’t mind varying it here and there.

I’d use this for Summer BB too, except I’m not too fond of her tanned 3rd Ascension and untanned 2nd Ascension.

2 Likes

Ngl I completely forgot this was a thing.

10 Likes

Outrageous! Untanned 2nd is my favourite!

I won’t use this for BB either, I simply love that porcelain costume too much :fgo_bbsmile:

5 Likes

In fairness, worth noting I personally was already rotating ascensions for some characters, Junao and Jarcher in particular, manually. So this is just saving me menu time to do something I was already doing.

8 Likes

Her 2nd Ascension exudes so much powerful gyaru energy that the tan basically completes the look~

8 Likes

I usually have a strong preference for a particular Ascension (otherwise I don’t care enough to fuss with the settings at all).

Space Ishtar is one for whom I might set it eventually. Her 2nd is my least favorite, but it’s also the one that got the most characterization, and variety is good sometimes.

13 Likes

Usually don’t use it but if it’s Servants like the Valks and of course, Space Isthar, I’ll use it.

Other than, i usually leave my Servants at last ascension unless it’s downright bad or the FA matches more with the first stage.

7 Likes

Space Ishtar is definitely who made me make this post - I like something different about all 4 of her forms, and making the call between my favourite voice lines on her 2nd, favourite animations on her 1st, or favourite design on her 3rd and alt palette was just too much to bother. The randomising suits her very well, and I can conveniently vacate the responsibility of selecting my overall favourite form.

7 Likes

Ashtart Origin was my early fav, but the 1st Ascension makes those swords look unusually good, and the Sith energy is great. The way her suit lights up with what look like red magic circuits when she uses her skills is some nice attention to detail.

6 Likes

I’d definitely say Summer Servants are good choices for this feature. Many of them look fairly different from ascension to ascension without 1 standing out.

BB being the exception ofc :fgo_bbgrin:

9 Likes

Oh, Artoria Ruler 2nd and 3rd Ascension for me. The art and animations with the parasol in 2nd are very unique, and they are all uncommonly pretty.

7 Likes

I love all ascensions of Kama and Summer BB so I have it on them.

7 Likes

I would use it on EMIYA if his third stage wasn’t simply a boneless version of his F/SN costume.

8 Likes

Astarte’s 1st actually had a similar trajectory to Jarcher’s 3rd for me - I don’t particularly care for the card art, but once you see the full model in motion, some of my less-favoured elements were more or less done away with, and her edgy facial expression is gone entirely. So when it’s in a random mix and I don’t have to look at her weirdly pouty icon, I enjoy it just fine.

3 Likes

I should really be using this for MHXX… while I love her 1A, sometimes I like to use the other two and I can never decide which one. xD

2 Likes

I currently have it set on casgil and summer BB, thinking I will turn it on for spishtar and the valks (when I get around to raising them)

Any costume servants I’ll likely turn it on unless I have a heavy preference for one.

9 Likes