Selena - Wind or Watersweep?

Thanks to @skaterdannyj and @ShinxDaSphinx I figured out Selena should be using a Sweep skill for maximum hax.

Which would you say is best for her overall? What type of opponents does she get the most out of snuffing out their counterattacks?

My thoughts so far have been that the pros for Watersweep is Mages, Staves, and Dragons almost always can counterattack ranged mages like Selena, whereas physical weapons (excepting bows/daggers) don’t always have that ability, so Watersweep would be handy.

But, Mages/Staff/Dragons also usually have high Res, and Selena might not want to be the unit in the team that takes them down, so it might be better to focus on beating 1-range units, who often have lower Res.

Whatcha’all think?

Other notes on the set, I’m a little concerned whether she hits high enough Spd or whether I need to run Swift Sparrow/Darting Blow/SpdRes Solo seal instead, but effective 54 isn’t bad… if she had a Spd boon, I could probably get away with HB seal for sure.

Atk Smoke is to give her just enough bulk to tank 1 hit if she attacks and can’t get out of range afterwards and has to take a hit.

9 Likes

I’d say wind just cuz more weapon type coverage imo

9 Likes

Yeah, that’s true, it’s Sword / Lance / Axe / Bow / Dagger / Beast, twice the number of types as Watersweep…

7 Likes

Wind sweep pretty much always. Especially for PvP stuff

5 Likes

Windsweep is the most popular and the cheapest

4 Likes

I feel kinda bad for Selena

Reginns existence is causing everyone else to get slept on but Selena is the first cavalry unit to get access to NFU

8 Likes

I’ve given her both but I think Wind is better. Most physical threats I’ve faced usually have more attack/bulk than magical. Selena has an easier time killing the common glass cannon mages like Lysithea and such than she could a DC armour

6 Likes

Good to know

3 Likes

Another thing is team composition. If I want to run her with, say, Valter I’ll use Watersweep since he can tank most physical threats and she can target the deadlier magical ones

3 Likes

I’ll vote [Windsweep] too, it’s more accessable and covers more weapon types.

If you still have the Alm Limited-Time manual, he has the skill, otherwise, Joshua has it at 4★, then there are the seasonals Ethlyn and Merric.

4 Likes

Gotcha. Ironically, I’ll probably sack an Alm manual instead of Joshua, in case I end up building Joshua later haha

4 Likes

The first! I didn’t know, but I did think it was neat she got access to a infantry-locked skill through her Prf. Her offensive stats + Prf Tome is really good too. I’m glad, she’s a neat unit

5 Likes

Thanks for the insight. Windsweep it is!

5 Likes

Off the top of my head there are only 7 units total with NFU weapons:
Byleth(M), Byleth(F), Mareeta, S!Fir, Y!Merric, Duo Byleth, and now Selena

4 Likes

Fair. Since I know Windsweep is more useful overall, I can give her the skill in good conscience despite costing an Alm manual (or grail unit). I have a ton of Soren manuals and feathers no doubt, so giving her Watersweep too isn’t a big deal

4 Likes

Roger that!

2 Likes

Dang. When you put it like that…

2 Likes

The only time I think watersweep is genuinely better is on y!merric and Duo byleth IF they’re also running an impact skill(duo Byleth in particular frequently runs an impact skill) - in which case I am of the opinion that sturdy(or steady) impact/watersweep is better than the much more popular mirror impact/windsweep

2 Likes

Another advantage to Windsweep is that Selena, as an offensive unit, wants to break through foes that block her follow ups. Most foes that do this are physical (and the vast majority are armored). By comparison, there are very few mages, dragons, and staves that block follow ups – pretty much the only notable example off the top of my head is Myrrh’s Great Flame.

Preventing foe’s force follow ups isn’t as important as Selena is too frail to want to take any hits at all.

4 Likes

duo alfonse says hello and is very grateful no one ever runs watersweep

1 Like