Servant Names Pronunciation

I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one with this problem.
The latest Servant that made me create this thread was our new chinese Lancer, Nezha.

I always read it in my head as Nessa only to learn, that it’s pronounced Natta (or something like that).
I mean, I think it’s always the chinese Servants I pronounce the wrong way. And to be honest, I don’t really understand, why they’re written differently in latin letters, than what they’re actually called.

I remember Sanzang being called Genjo Sanzo (or something like that). And although I know that, I always read her as Sansang.

But the worst of all is Zhuge Liang. I listened to his summoning line over and over again. I don’t understand how it’s spoken.

What 'bout you guys? Do you have the same issues?

Servant Name

6 Likes

It’s no surprise that all of the names you listed are Chinese names. For me, they have always been the hardest to pronounce.

I had been mispronouncing Shuten-Douji for the longest by placing emphasis in the wrong parts. I generally do well otherwise with Japanese names, though.

First one that comes to mind in my case would be Quetzalcoatl, i’ve always mispronounced it .

1 Like

Nata isn’t quite the correct pronunciation of Nezha though, it’s another name for her… him… them… whatever.

2 Likes

Setting these chinese servants aside since I’m pretty most of us pronounce it wrong, me included. Though there are a few names I still can’t seem to get my tounge wrapped around. The Irish servants to start. I can’t seem to pronounce their names right. The only ones I’m semi-confident on are Medb (Mayv) and Fergus mac Roich (Fergus mc Roy). The rest seem to alude me.

3 Likes

Any Irish servant ever. The Celtic language is one where you could make 50 completely different guesses as to how to pronounce a name and still never even come close to being right.

5 Likes

Mostly Chinese and a few Celtic names come to mind on trouble pronouncing. And Scheherazade… not even gonna try with her

1 Like

Not me, but one of my friends has trouble saying Bedivere’s name. (Italics are the stressed syllable)
Instead of “Bed-ih-veer” they say “Bed- eee-veer”
Another one mispronounces it just because they know I get twitches when they do (the other friend I tolerate because english is not their first language. This one just does it to troll the resident Arthurian expert in our group)
And they say “Be-diver”. To which the immediate yell from me is “HE IS NOT MACGYVER!!” (Bit of an inside joke I suppose but it’s a bit annoying at times)

1 Like

For me, names that aren’t pronounced as they are spelled, probably.

I’m looking at you, Cu. You’re a bro, but I don’t know how to say your name. Oh and you too Zhuge Liang, so I’ll just call you, Waver.

1 Like

I made a thread a while back on pronouncing Nitocris correctly.

Is it
NEE-TO-Kris
Ni-TO-Kris
NY-TO-Kris

Consensus, iirc, is that in game it is pronounced NEE-TO-Kris but really her name is from dead language and nobody really knows how to pronounce it for certain much less if that really was her name.

3 Likes

Isn’t it even questionable if she actually existed?

1 Like

It’s pronounced Best-Pha-Row

7 Likes

The best name to try to pronounce is Medb. Spoiler alert: it’s not pronounced like there’s either a “d” or “b” in her name.

2 Likes

If I remember what I read from the research I looked into they think she existed but aren’t sure and if she existed if she was actually male.

1 Like

Totally agree!

5 Likes

my favorite ones are the names with no historically consistent spelling/pronunctuation

4 Likes

Thank early oriental scholars from my native Germany for that one - It’d go Sheh-eh-rah-zahd. Mouthful, if melodious even for me, so I prefer another spelling of it, شهرزاد, Shahrazad, which appears to be quite common too, otherwise, and is easier to pronounce besides.

2 Likes

First rule of celtic names: Never use the letters the name is written with.

7 Likes

I’ve pretty much no idea how to pronounce the names of the Chinese servants, they all seem counter-intuitive for me. I’m still struggling with the NP names from obscure languages, I think I can remember how to spell Ishtar’s NP name and reproduce the tongue twister phonetically. I pitty the VA’s I really do.

Same.