Servants that surprised you with their performance

Exactly what it says on the tin; let’s discuss the servants that you considered to be weak (or at the very least didn’t think could fulfill a certain role), yet they surprised you when you took them out for a spin.

For me, it was Rider Martha. She spooked me enough times to get her to NP5, but I barely ever used her, because I considered her a switch-in servant for CQs for her team cleanse skill.
Then, due to the current downtime, I decided to take her for some door knocking in the dailies, if only so that I could see her animations, and I was completely floored when her NP dealt more damage (with the same buffs) than Ridesthar’s. Then I tried to see her ceiling, so I threw Merlin into the next run, and her NP dealt 170k+ damage per enemy! Sure, this was an upgraded NP, at NP5, but considering how low her attack is (and she wasn’t even completely Fou’d), I never expected that kind of damage output from a gimmicky CQ support servant.

What is your story? When did you have a similar moment, where you had to do a double take and reconsider your opinion about a servant?

7 Likes

For me it was probably Arjuna. I know he has many flaws but that doesn’t mean he is as terrible as sometimes he is made out to be . He is a perfectly serviceable aoe archer that can farm wave 2 or even wave 3. He may not be on the level of ishtar or gil but he still does a lot damage and has a battery and a mana burst . He is also a bit niche with a 5 turn debuff immunity which is pretty insane in debuff heavy challenge quest . I started using him after ishtar reached bond 10 and I haven’t been disappointed with him at all

11 Likes

HELENAAAAAA!!
Randomly discovered that she could do WAY more than basic support and clearing ember waves.
(that’s around 150k shy of her max damage in that situation, according to maths. And I never even incorporated a Tamamo anywhere in the equation, or order change for that matter… It’s not even a ceiling at the moment oO)

11 Likes

For me it’s your resident jungle mafia, Taiga herself. She was my only ST lancer for a long time and she has served me well. Granted that she’s grailed to 80 and NP5, but her burst turn damage was no joke i remember her getting upwards of 700k (with buff ofc), and it kinda makes me wanna level other lowstars. Her insane cooldown and environment-locked buff sucks, but i still love her a lot

3 Likes

The first SSR I rolled on my NA account was Cleo during Halloween 2018. My account was still pretty new at the time and I was just thrilled that I managed to get a rate up servant. Over the almost two years since then, she has been a consistent DPS time and time again, even in situations where she wasn’t an ideal pick. Although she’s still only NP1 and sitting at 6/6/6 because I can’t stand parting with materials and QP until I have to, I was honestly surprised at how much damage she put out during Nero Fest and Da Vinci rerun.

Another servant that has consistently done way more than I expected is Carmilla. She was my starter on JP and was often my last servant standing when my roster was limited. She’s NP5 now on both NA and JP and I still enjoy using her for burst damage.

3 Likes

Euryale!
3* archer that can knock out boss with 1 arrow.

5 Likes

Fuuma Kotarou. I dont have a gold AOE assassin yet and he was really nice during LB2 vs Rider waves with a team of Waver and Osakabehime. Obviously not really high damage cuz 3* quick NP but STARS and CRITS for days especially with Okkie’s buffs.

8 Likes

At first, after trying the story support version, i didn’t like him, but decided to give him another chance after the ending of Camelot.
Now he’s my go to saber, and slaps anything on his way with his silver arm!

15 Likes

He’s a really underrated assassin. Friend of mine runs him as a replacement for Mash in the lostbelts since he finds his offensive debuff skills work fairly well at lowering enemy damage output.

It’s an unconventional choice but he’s definitely worth his salt for thee utility and star generation.

3 Likes

Yup yup but mine has only 1/1/1 skills tho haha just maxed level him cuz I have nothing against rider waves with bosses

1 Like

Mmh maybe Parvati for me ? I never had high expectations for her and never ever planned on getting her. But then she appeared when I was rolling for Karna and she turned out to be one of my favorite farming servants to use and another reason why I love quick-oriented teams so much.
I’m really glad to have her NP2 in her Sakura outfit and I would love getting her to NP5 !

And to be honest, the moment I heard her say “trace on”, I knew she had my heart …

3 Likes

When I first got Ana (Medusa Lily) I was really happy but then I stopped using her because damage & NP gain were pretty bad so I benched her for a bit even though I maxed her. Eventually I started using her again. Gave her some Arts Crit CE’s and shes much better (quick servant but depends on arts crits, kinda how Emiya depends on them for NP gain) now I use her to solo bosses.

Lobo, Moriarity, & Setsubun’s FSN Medusa(just off the top of my head) are some she’s done. She’s NP3 as of Guda3.

2 Likes

Helena

I get her in merlin banner and i was like oh god no

But after using her for a while and leveled all her skills , she’s really helpful to clearing waves when farming (thanks kaleido) and she’s good to when i use her in some CQ.

7 Likes

Archer Helena, brought her in saber node just for battery and found out she can clear wave 1 & 2.

4 Likes

Demyia. I can’t remember what quest it was, but certainly a harder boss fight or CQ. Probably the first time I seriously used him. That first skill with damage cut? Wow he lasted on the field sooo much longer than I expected! Absorbing hit after hit and shrugging them off. And it was only at level 4 or 6! After that I farmed the shells he needed for 9/9/9. I might not pick him often (only np1, vs kuro, Robin hood and Eurayle for nukes), but he earned those farming sessions that day.

5 Likes

caster gilles. There was a short period of time in which i didn’t had gold aoe casters and he really helped. at np5 his np damage isnt that bad and extremelly short.

1 Like

Cleo, honestly i didn’t thougth that she was so good, and then when i finally use her i discover that she was a beast, she is amazing, her NP gen is monstruos and her animations are pretty cool

2 Likes

Danzo. I actually got her for waifu reasons, I had no intention of replacing either Shuten or Scathach for the AoE Assassin role. But since I somehow got her to NP2 I tried her out during Setsubun for surprising results in terms of damage. Then again, she’s also grailed to 90 which helps a bit, but I was glad to see her do more than just cover her teammates from an AoE NP.

2 Likes

Yeah, Arjuna have never been really bad but that the impresion that he gives when he is in the same class and rol then Gilgamesh, Ishtar and Tesla.
We call this the Arjuna sindrom

8 Likes

Definitely Salieri. I was not expecting a piano recital during a major boss fight!

I guess Liz on occasion, but she has tried to turn every situation into a concert so many times, it’s hard for her to really surprise me with it, anymore.

… Oh, I may have misunderstood the question.

17 Likes