So I think there's a minor plot hole in 3H

So I just finished my first playthrough of 3H(golden deer), and am starting a new playthrough(blue lion). Watching back through the prologue made me realize something.
Edelgard is revealed to be the flame emporer, who is shown to be the one ordering the bandits at the start of the game. The bandits attack Claude, Dimitri, and Edelgard to set the game’s events in motion but… something doesn’t add up here. If edelgard is directing the bandits(as the flame emporer), why on earth did she have them attack her? You could maybe argue it was to meet Byleth, but no one but Rhea had any idea what Byleth actually is until he obtains the creator sword. So why did Edelgard order the bandits to attack the house leaders while she was among them, leading to her having to chase off her own bandits?

4 Likes

She was probably confident in her own abilities to handle it and didn’t want to draw attention to the fact that Claude and Dimitri were attacked but she wasn’t.

I dunno.

4 Likes

I mean I guess. I get why she would want them killed. I’m just saying you’d think if she was going to order her bandits to attack she’d call in sick for that particular field trip lol

1 Like

One point that I also noted.

2 Likes

I think she wanted to attack the students, but didn’t expect Byleth to be around to interfere

1 Like

Yes but again why was she there? There was no reason for her to be there since she knew about the strike. If she wanted to assassinate the other house leaders, she should have stayed away rather than fighting her own assassins

And make it obvious?

2 Likes

Also as suspicious as it might be that she’d sit out on the trip that got Claude and Dimitri killed, how much more suspicious would it be if they got killed and only she came back? I’d argue that’s even more convenient

2 Likes

To lure them out. That’s my best guess. Otherwise, she probably wouldn’t have known where they’d be to target them. Plus, she might have had the upper hand being there herself to assist

Edit: Also, she definitely wouldn’t be coming back alone. The end of the first half of the game shows she has the man power available to ensure that she has backup after two parties’ main allies have been taken out to face the remaining enemies, namely Rhea and co.

1 Like

Yeah a lot of people have questioned this. I guess to make it less suspicious that she’s involved.

2 Likes

She was probably confident in their abilities as well? After all, they go to the same school. Again, I dunno. I haven’t even played the game.

I do not think it’s as deep as all this, by it since you are expecting a response I’ll try as best I can.

Edel wanted to eventually rule over all of Fodlan while getting rid of the influence the Dragons(Rhea) had over the continent. She uses bandits and TWSITD to do her bidding.

I’m sure that if she ordered the bandits to attack it would look suspicious if she wasn’t. It could also be that Edel wasn’t commanding those exact bandits until after the fact

1 Like

It would be better to plan the fall of each one.

2 Likes

If she thought they’d survive then why order the attack at all? I’m sorry to have spoiled parts of the game for you, but if she expected everyone to survive then we’re back to no motivation

I think it would have been too early to set the story in motion at that moment specifically.

If I was her and I’m not so I don’t know what she’d do, but I can only assume that at this point she’d most likely go back to the Empire rather than the school

1 Like

Maybe she wanted to cripple them. That’d do enough damage to keep them off the front lines. Again, that’s probably one of the reasons why she was there. Though, the bandits showed to be very incompetent so who’s to say it was that good a plan in the first place

1 Like

This. I’m sure that we’re putting way more thought into this than the writers ever did. They just needed an excuse for the game to start. I was just wondering if there was an explanation I had missed(maube revealed in one of the other routes).
The best answer I’ve gotten is that she wanted to kill the other 2(which makes sense), and that her staying away would rouse suspicion. But wouldn’t it be even more suspicious if only she came back from the trip?

3 Likes

Typically, if you’re ordering something to attack a group of people while you’re in said group, then it’s to avoid suspicion. It’s possible that she wanted to make it seem like the enemies of the Church were making bold moves, possibly even being organized.

Now that’s possible. Ambush the other two house leaders and then take over the Empire a year(ish) ahead of schedule… yeah I can see that

3 Likes

No I don’t think she wanted to kill the other two. If I was her what would I do… I think she may have

1. Not actually been in total control of those bandits

2. Too confident in her own abilities

3. Was surprised by the presence of Byleth and he plan just sorta fell apart

4. Wanted to glance off suspicion by her being attacked. Probably likely she was confident in all of their abilities and wanted to get attacked in order to stop suspicion

5. Wanted to cripple or weaken the other house leaders. Seems unlikely but eh

6. Wanted to kill the house leaders and go back to the empire, fast tracking the storyline and declaring war immediately. Without Dmitri and Claude Fodlan basically is hers

3 Likes