Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore soon

Anyone else excited for TMS #FE Encore coming out later this week? Curious to see how many FEHers are fans of a game that ended up mostly being its own thing rather than adhering to Fire Emblem or Shin Megami Tensei gameplay (disappointing many at the time). I enjoyed the original on Wii U but didn’t get around to finishing it, it’s truly a unique and fun game with its own over-the-top identity. Didn’t really care much about the censorship issue personally since the game is already pretty intense and fanservicey, but I can see how it’d bother people.

Also curious who would like to see a TMS crossover in FEH. Getting Mirage alts of Chrom, Caeda, Cain, Tharja, Virion, Draug and Navarre would be pretty cool. Not sure about the main cast since they’re modern humans, but they are definitely something different but not too foreign for a crossover into an FE game in their Mirage Master forms.

7 Likes

giphy (4)
Give me my Xenoblade DE already

4 Likes

More like TMS #FE1 & 13 :feh_marththink:

6 Likes

I agree with this. Still waiting on Amazon to put it up for preorder.

2 Likes

I just want a release date at least. I hope that rumor of a May release is true. The sooner the better.

As for TMS the whole J Pop thing is just too much of a turn off for me.

1 Like

I played and beat the original and got the 100% side story ending and it’s a shame it was so slept on. It’s a damn good RPG.

While the plot/setting is hammy as hell, I still find it charming. And the game embraces it’s own ridiculousness and is all the better for it.

I will never get tired of Yashiro’s special attack where he bites into a dumpling and fires a massive beam of energy out of his mouth. I love the soundtrack, too.

4 Likes

100% agree. I think this game doesn’t get the love it deserves. To be fair, most of us had certain expectations from the SMT side, the FE side or both, and of course it ended up almost completely subverting those expectations. But most write it off because it’s its own thing rather than embracing it. I think anyone hating on this game simply hasn’t played it or refuses to release their prior expectations of the game before it took on a clear identity.

2 Likes

You can skip most of the J-Pop performances/songs played during the game, if that helps. I too got annoyed when they would play, and was glad there was an option to skip over them.

2 Likes

It didn’t feel like it incorporated FE elements enough to endear me to playing it as a Fire Emblem fan and the character designs were too coherent to endear it to me as an SMT fan. It felt more like it had its own identity, which was nice for as silly a game as it was. I’m glad it’s going to be on the Switch so I can finally play it.

6 Likes

That too. From what I know it was basically a SMT game with “Fire Emblem characters.”

I’m getting it for sure on the Switch.

I played the Wii U version after deciding to give it a shot, and I liked it fairly well. The jpop theme was actually enjoyavle despite me being against it initially, and maybe this time I could actually finish it. I think i was around either chapter 6 or 7 when i last played it.

3 Likes

Man, if they added some of the Mirages to FEH to tie into it I’d see if I could pull Caeda or Virion

3 Likes

And Chrom. He looks like a more interesting Lif and he might be the closest thing we’ll get to Risen King Chrom

2 Likes

This is true to a large extent. I wasn’t sure what to think when I first saw gameplay of this since I had heavy FE expectations for this game when it was first announced (never played SMT), but after I thought it over some more I wasn’t so bothered by the seemingly only slight FE theme inclusions. The game still boasts what is basically an expansion of the weapon triangle, and the themes of FE–while mostly subtle or outside of the battle mechanics–are still largely present in the game. You use seals to class change, the enemies are a good mix of SMT-style creatures and FE-style foes (myrmidons, horse knights, etc), Annas are shopkeepers/quest givers, Navarre is an enemy myrmidon who has to be convinced to join your side, secondary FE character caricatures show up in some side quests (e.g. Bord and Cord, Abel) and (most importantly) there’s a brigand boss as the first boss fight.

The more I played it, the more I appreciated the FE references and throwbacks as just that rather than having most of Fire Emblem core gameplay copied over into TMS.

3 Likes

I mean it kinda felt like a mini Persona game but overall it was enjoyable. I just wish Kirie had a better Carnage form, like she was the best character but had the only default battle outfit that felt so weird and hard to look at it…

But hey it and then P5 actually got me into the Persona series. And without that I probably might not have ever played Persona 4, a game that’s easily in my top 10 favorites of all-time.

Alongside probably: (in no particular order)
Final Fantasy IX
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door
Tales of Vesperia
Radiant Dawn
Trails of Cold Steel (I don’t know which one specifically)
Ace Attorney Dual Destinies
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Valkyria Chronicles
And either Octopath Traveler or Bravely Default 1 or 2 (I think I’d need to replay Bravely before deciding as its not as fresh in my mind as Octopath)

And yes for my 10 favorite games I specifically tried to avoid having multiple games from the same series.

1 Like

I’d pull for this guy in a heartbeat. So badass.

4 Likes

all I know about this game is that Marth goes super saiyan

3 Likes

FIIIYAAA EMMMBERRUMMM!

4 Likes

I’m excited for it! I played through the Wii U version and loved it! It’s such a good RPG that, for a lack of a better word, is just so charming. Like, the plot and characters have the texture and depth of a piece of ham, but that’s what gives it its charm. It’s not afraid to not take itself seriously and just be ridiculous at times. For example, your characters can bust out in song in battle and it’s the funniest thing ever. Plus the gameplay is honestly really fun, setting up combo attacks and building your characters up and getting all the weapons is a lot of fun.

TLDR; it’s not as bad as people say it is, it’s really endearing and fun. You just need to escape the tunnel vision of “It has to 100% be like FE or SMT” and enjoy it for what it is.

2 Likes