Top 10 Favorite RPGs

I recently started replaying a couple old games just for the sake of finding ways to enjoy my free time while keeping my ass away from gachas, and I came across this guy named Erick Landon on youtube while watching SMT Nocturne guides.

I’ve found his videos to be hella interesting, the guy seems like he’s very knowledgeable about the RPG genre all across different platforms and also other non-RPG games. I totally recommend watching some of his videos if you like the RPG genre.

Just recently watched this video and also wanted to share my own top 10 strategy RPGs, and if you’d like, tell me yours. This way other people like me may be able to find a hidden gem they are missing on. For my own top 10 favorite strategy RPGs I’ll be limiting myself to just 1 iteration per series, but feel free to make your own top 10 as you’d like.

1. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii)
  2. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (NDS)
  3. Advance Wars: Dual Strike (NDS)
  4. Radiant Historia (NDS)
  5. Duelyst (PC)
  6. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP)
  7. Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (PSP)
  8. Pokémon Conquest (NDS)
  9. Breath of Fire IV (PS)
  10. Ragnarok Tactics (PSP)

Also, a poll about enemy engagement:

What style of combat do you enjoy more on your RPGs?
  • Real-time RPG
  • Turn-based RPG

0 voters

7 Likes

is it ok if I put all my answers from the tales of series?

nah I’ll give a serious answer to this question I just have to think lol

5 Likes

I’m limiting my answers to two games per series, because I can’t pick and choose just one game from some of them, but it wouldn’t be fair if I dominated the whole list with one series. Also this list is a bit more of a generic RPG list rather than a strictly strategy RPG list, as I actually don’t play many of them.

1. Earthbound
  2. Tales of the Abyss
  3. Tales of Berseria
  4. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
  5. Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver
  6. Persona 4 Golden
  7. Final Fantasy X
  8. Atelier Dusk Trilogy (A bit of a cheat I know but they’re all fairly short games and they’re all way too fun to pick just one, sue me)
  9. Undertale
  10. Xenoblade Chronicles
6 Likes

I can’t even decide which Trails series game I like most. I can’t decide between any of the 4 Cold Steel ones and when it comes Zero I haven’t played its direct sequel Azure yet which could be better because Wazy gets full party member status instead of 1 fight in the prologue and 1 short story sequence with a few battles in Zero

4 Likes

I’ve only played fully through like 3 abd am slowly working on my 4th
:fgo_gudako:

4 Likes

That’s fine too. I haven’t played all BoF games, FFT games or Tactics Ogre series either. If you don’t know which of 2 games from a series you like more, you can make them a tie.

1 Like

The problem is it’s 5 games that I’ve played in the series that I can’t decide between. Because it’s a larger series that has different subseries (story arcs) that all take place on the same continent in roughly the same time frame some are a few years apart.

2 Likes

Don’t feel like making a top 10, some of my favourites are

-mario and luigi: bowser’s lnside story
-pokemon mistery dungeon: explorers of sky
-the mother series
-fire emblem 4
-omori
-undertale
-off
-yume nikki
-everhood

7 Likes

oh yeah I should have put omori somewhere on my list lol

4 Likes

I’ll make a list eventually.

2 Likes

I don’t play too many games anymore but Tales of Vesperia and Berseria got a special place in my heart.
M&L: Bowser’s Inside Story is amazing.
Xenoblade Chronicles, while I’ve never played, very much enjoyed the story.
FE: Awakening I’ve put in far more hours than I should have and still have yet to attempt Apotheosis but will do(Without Limit Breaker first) on this current playthrough when I get back to playing it.

5 Likes

I don’t have a Top 10 List but I do have a couple of Favs to mention

Fire Emblem Fates: Will always be my favorite FE game as I am terribly bias no matter how many issues it may have lol

Pokémon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby: Never played the originals but I had a lot of fun with these games, love the Pokémon too

Omori: Such an amazing yet depressing game. It’s so beautiful and you really feel for the characters and see the contrast between dreams and reality

These are my top favs, in no particular order

6 Likes

Personally I prefer real time rpgs, for me turn based games are a massive turn off. I dont like sacrificing control and having rng/crits able to mess me over.

As far as personal favorites I’d have to say

1. Elden ring
  2. DS3
  3. Skyrim

Elden Ring has blown me away with the quality and amount of content available. They didnt mess up anything that I thought they would and there’s really only one thing I have an issue with but its minor. 70 hours in and I still dont have the full map and get surprised constantly

The rest of the list would just be my fav fromsoft games and thats not what this thread is for.

5 Likes

Gen 3 has always been my favorite, so you can imagine how excited I was when OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire was released. I’ll never forgive IGN for their crappy “too much water” unfamous review. I’ve recently been playing BD/SP OU tier occasionally on Showdown but the megas left a void that no new game has managed to refill for me. Such a cool mechanic, just left behind for no reason.

I see a lot of people commenting about Omori. What platform is it on? Wiki says it’s on Steam but I can’t find it.

Edit: nvm, I just did. I was looking on FTP, I realize my mistake haha.

3 Likes

Softgames are also good to go, if they are RPGs.

Personally I prefer real time rpgs

If that’s the case I totally recommend Witcher 3 and Ghost of Tsushima. The first is decently cheap nowadays but the latter isn’t, so I’d start with Witcher 3 if you have the spare money and time.

3 Likes

I’d consider them rpgs, especially with different builds, questlines, choices, etc. Maybe not sekiro since that’s more linear with a set mc and locking you into one way to play

And I’ve been meaning to play ghost of tsushima but never got around to buying it and the witcher always seemed like it would be fun too. Ive just got my hands full since I havent even finished my first playthrough of ER and I’m planning to do 4 to get all the endings and try out different builds since rn I just have a braindead str one

4 Likes

Yeah all these games need a lot of time invested to fully complete. No need to buy a new game just for the sake of it. Just take it at your own pace.

3 Likes
  1. Xenogears
  2. Chrono Trigger
  3. Final Fantasy IX
  4. Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra
  5. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#6 to #10 I have absolutely no idea how I’d order them but here they are

• Bloodborne
  • Dark Souls 3
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Nioh