Unit Suggestion: Anankos, the Silent Dragon

Anybody remember back when I would draft unit suggestions in my spare time? Kinda fell out of it for a while, but I kinda wanna pick it back up. So, here I am testing out a new layout format with

Anankos: Silent Dragon

“Why am I left to suffer? Why am I the one left to die? Why do humans flourish while I am buried here…ignored…forgotten? TELL ME WHY!”

The Silent Dragon, Anankos, is the final enemy of Fire Emblem Fates the true cause of the war between Hoshido and Nohr, and Kamui’s true birth father. Driven mad by age and a false sense of betrayal, Anankos has sworn to pit the major powers of the world against each other and, ultimately, lead the world to ruin.

STATS
HP: 42
ATK: 36
SPD: 35
DEF: 29
RES: 26
MOV: Flier

BST: 168

SKILLS
Weapon: Singularity - “Dragonstone (Blue). MGT: 14. Range: 2, linear. If unit initiates combat, drags target 1 space towards unit and marks target’s original space as “impassable” for one turn. Does not occur if target cannot occupy space. If foe’s Range = 2, calculates damage using the lower of foe’s Def or Res.”
Support:
Special: Dragon Fang - “Boosts Atk by 50%.”
A: Dragonskin - “Neutralizes “effective against flying” bonuses. Grants Def/Res+4 during combat if foe initiates combat.”
B:
C: Panic Ploy - “At start of turn, bonuses become penalties on all foes in cardinal directions with HP 1 or more lower than unit through foe’s next action.”

Anankos essentially acts as an aerial territory unit, relocating, panicking, and separating teams via initiation.

REASONING
Singularity: Honestly, I didn’t have much to go on by basing his weapon on his appearance his Fates beyond him opening a black hole to destroy Valla when confronted by the Hoshidan and Nohrian armies. For this, I named his default “Dragon Breath” as “Singularity” and tried to give it an effect that matches…well…a singularity. Within reason, of course. Couldn’t actually make it a black hole. It has a range of two, but only in cardinal directions relative to Anankos, with a build-in Drag Back to allow it’s effect, a form a territory control that relocates the target and blocks off access to the tile it was occupying when Anankos attacks fir a single turn.
Dragon Fang: Kamui has this ability in Fates, so I’m essentially treating it as something she inherited from her father.
Dragonskin: An ability Anankos has in his appearance as a boss, and as an aerial dragon it removes his vulnerability to bows in an identical manner as F!Grima.
Panic Ploy: Following Singularity’s effect applied in cardinal directions, I followed up with Panic Ploy, matching his fairly high HP stat, making him a credible threat if you get caught in his cardinal range, debuffing your team with Panic and separating them with Singularity.

Thoughts on my idea for Anankos? Comments, maybe? Concerns? Lemme know, feedback is welcomed. If you have someone you want me to take a crack at, feel free to ask that, too.

Archived Unit Suggestions

Batch 1

Kaze, Easygoing Ninja
Aversa, the Dark One
Vaike, Zero to Hero
Inigo, the Flower Picker
Shinon, the Deadly Adept
Kjelle, the Fair Fighter
Panne, the Proud Taguel
Tatiana, the Saint of Duma
Kana(♂), the Child of Dragons
Kana(♀), Dragon Spawn
Velouria, the Wolf Cub

Batch 2

Kellam, the Oft-Forgotten
Walhart, the Conqueror
Hardin, the Dark Emperor
Gharnef, Dark Pontifex
Astram, Midia’s Pride
Reina, Morbid Fixation
Rudolf, Rigelian Emperor
Gangrel, Mad King
Berkut, Duma’s Knight
Nergal, Dark Druid
Say’ri, Blade Princess

Batch 3

Kiran, Legendary Summoner
Lianna, Aytolesian Princess

1 Like

173 BST.

clicks on link not expecting much
Another armored unit? Probably.

:eyes:

Sorry, but a 16 Mt ranged weapon on a 168 BST flier is never gonna happen (I appreciate the creativity nonetheless). Instead his weapon could be something like this:

Silent Breath
16 Mt Rng 1
Neutralizes “effective against dragons” bonuses. Unit won’t be affected by (visible) debuffs, status affects or passive damage.
If foe’s range = 2, calculates damage using the lower of foe’s Def or Res.

This would reference the skill ‘Status Immunity’ which is (almost) exclusive to Anankos. It also works really well in AR, since he’ll be able to ignore all enemy buildings. And just like Garon, Anankos isn’t weak to dragon slayers in Fates and his weapon reflects that.

I’d also change Dragonskin a little, so it isn’t a carbon copy of F!Robin’s. It could be a B-slot that grants a permanent Guard effect instead of +4 Def/Res, while still having the Iotes Shield effect.

Yeah, I wasn’t gonna make him Armored. :rofl:
That’s a…good, reaction? I think?

If not Flier, I’d’ve made him Infantry; but I recall his human avatar levatating in battle when fought in the alternate-tineline DLC, so I made him a Flier. A much less populated class of Dragon, no?

Right, I forgot that ranged Legendaries are 14 might.

The thing about changing Dragonskin is that, well…we already have Dragonskin. It’s be like giving someone else Wary Fighter, but making it do something else. All units that have a skill have the same skill. Ninian and Fae have the same Light Breath, L!Alm, Mareeta and A!Kamui all have the same Null Follow.
And the thing about him not being vulnetable to Wyrmslayers is because, canonically, he’s only truly vulnerable to exclusively Yato. So he’s not vulnerable to bows either. And in Garon’s case, he isn’t technically a Dragon; though it depends on the route. In Cyrkensia, he’s an Axe-user, in Conquest he’s a slime-thing. Honestly, I’m surprised he didn’t have Bölverk in Fates. Y’know, the weapon he uses in two of his three boss appearances.

I digress. The problem with your suggestion is that, for starters, ot turns Anankos into a defensive unit, which he is not; but first and foremost, the bigger problem is that it seems almost overpowered. Nullifying ALL effective damage AND all statuses (including debuffs, by virtue of having to include Panic as a status) while having access to the full map by virtue of being a flier while still having 50 ATK, total? Nah I try to keep my drafts down from being too overly powerful.