Unit Suggestion: Byleth, the Observer of Time

Now that I’ve fired up my unit suggestions again, I’m back. New week, new unit. This week, I wanna pregame with some new characters in anticipation of the new game.

Byleth: Observer or Time

“Let the lesson begin!”

Child of the mercenary Jeralt, Byleth was chosen to become an instructor at the Officer’s Academy at Garreg Mach Monestery, where they would go on to become a shaping force in a war between nations.

STATS
HP: 38
ATK: 34
SPD: 36
DEF: 31
RES: 28
MOV: Infantry

BST: 167

SKILLS
Weapon: Sword of the Creator (Sword) - “MGT: 16. If unit initiates combat, increases attack range by +1. Against foe with sword, lance, axe, dragonstone, or beast damage, if unit’s Spd - foe’s Spd ≥ 1, foe can’t counterattack.
Exclusive.”
Support:
Special: Divine Pulse (CD:5)- “Unit will survive fatal damage and heal up to 15 HP.
Exclusive.”
A: DEF/RES Bond - “If unit is adjacent to an ally, grants Def/Res+5 during combat.”
B:
C: ATK/SPD Tactic - “At start of turn, grants ATK+4, SPD+4 to allies within 2 spaces for 1 turn. Granted only if number of that ally’s movement type on current team ≤ 2.”

Staring off my ideas for the ineavitably-upcoming Three Houses characters, I’m going to draft ideas for Byleth and each of the three House leaders. As the protagonist, Byleth goes first. Able to attack at range with a chain sword and survive fatal damage, Byleth fits the role of a frontline attacker, though to make up for his sword’s utility he “suffers” (depending in your point of view) from a more balanced statline, making him slightly less competetive against specialized min/max units.

REASONING
Sword of the Creator: From what we know so far, Byleth’s exclusive weapon is called the Sword of the Creator, and it appears to be able to shift forms between a sword and a chain whip. So instead of just making another Distant-Counter weapon, I thought it might be more interesting to make a Distant Strike weapon, utilizing the weapon’s ability to become a chain amd strike at a distance. I also gave it a form of Windsweep as a nod to his position as Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude’s instructor, giving him an advantage over Edlegard and Dimitri.
Divine Pulse: Or was it called “Sky-Rending Pulse?” Doesn’t matter. Byleth’s special power in Three Heroes is a Mila’s Turnwheel-type ability to rewind battle. Similar to Miracle, Divine Pulse will allow Byleth to survive a fatal strike while is is active, and will “rewind” his health back up to 15.
DEF/RES Bond: Boosting his teammates offensive capabilites, Byleth feels a greater drive to protect those under his tutelage. Also, this skill is still only available on a seasonal unit.
ATK/SPD Tactic: As an instructor, it makes sense for Byleth to boost the capabilites of his students as he instructs then on the battlefield.

Thoughts on my idea? Comments, maybe? Concerns? Lemme know, feedback is welcomed. If you have someone you want me to take a crack at, feel free to ask that, too.

Archived Unit Suggestions

Batch 1

Kaze, Easygoing Ninja
Aversa, the Dark One
Vaike, Zero to Hero
Inigo, the Flower Picker
Shinon, the Deadly Adept
Kjelle, the Fair Fighter
Panne, the Proud Taguel
Tatiana, the Saint of Duma
Kana(♂), the Child of Dragons
Kana(♀), Dragon Spawn
Velouria, the Wolf Cub

Batch 2

Kellam, the Oft-Forgotten
Walhart, the Conqueror
Hardin, the Dark Emperor
Gharnef, Dark Pontifex
Astram, Midia’s Pride
Reina, Morbid Fixation
Rudolf, Rigelian Emperor
Gangrel, Mad King
Berkut, Duma’s Knight
Nergal, Dark Druid
Say’ri, Blade Princess

Batch 3

Kiran, Legendary Summoner
Lianna, Aytolesian Princess
Anankos, Silent Dragon
Atlas, Village Protector
Rinkah, Scion of Flame
Altina, the First Apostle

6 Likes

Everyone Is So Excited About The 3H Banner When I’m Not

How…?

8 Likes

He becomes a mage when he initiates combat!

SORCERY

But you can’t initiate combat at range unless you’re a ranged unit.

A Sword with DC on initiation is just a Bow with CC

1 Like

No DC.
Eh, free one round KOs for Nino

Just make him a mage that switches to a sword when close I guess

But Byleth would have a sword?
And DC?

Units always have an effective attack range. When it’s your turn - Byleth’s initiation - he can attack at Range:2. When it is the enemy’s turn - not Byleth’s initiation - he can counter at Range:1 (Unless foddered DC)

Yeah, but the description says “On initiation”. You’re not actually initiating until you’re attacking someone, and he doesn’t have 2 ranged until he’s attacking…

But he gains the extra range… When he’s attacking.

The description needs fixing, lol.

“Unit is able to initiate combat from 2 range” or something?

1 Like

DC Sword

Not So Hard To Make Since We Have 16

Except it’s not really the same as a DC sword.

Just Make It A DC Sword Then

1 Like

But that completely defeats the whole purpose of the skill description.

But it’s possibile do something like that? I mean, swords have always been melee weapons…

It would be easier just give to his sword DC + some fancy effect

2 Likes

DC + The Sword Effect

The ranged portion is a whip. You use it offensively, hence the ranged effect on player phase.

Enemy phase, you use it as a sword. Why? The whip isn’t made for defense.

This is not the same as a DC weapon, lol.

I’m more curious how they would be able to apply the additional range with the condition “works only on these weapon types”. Because the unit is able to attack from an increased range from different angles, but not all enemies can be attacked from that increased range thanks to the condition.

Then How The Hell Leiptr Works