Vanilla Kyurem good for pvp?

Dragon Breath/Dragon Claw/Icy Wind looks like a rather promising threat.

Not sure about how it actually works in practice, but it does look like it has some potential.

How does it actually sound?

Sounds like no use speculating because it may not be released with those moves.

If released with that movepool, yep, it has potential. DB/DC is a strong combo in PvP, and Kyurem has acceptable bulk. Icy Wind is a pretty lackluster move, but gives it some alternative coverage and doesn’t take forever to charge like Blizzard.

Kyurem’s typing is…ok. Defensively, Ice-typing is always pretty horrible, since it comes with only one resistance and four weaknesses. Kyurem’s weakness to resistance balance isn’t exactly amazing.

So the big question is whether or not your PvP team needs another DB/DC user. We already have legacy Dragonite, Latios, and A-Giratina who take on that role rather nicely. Also consider that Zekrom and Reshiram will be coming out this year (potentially in sequence with Kyurem), and might be better RC investments over Kyurem. Zekrom, in particular, looks to be quite deadly in PvP if released with its currently listed movepool.

If you use Zekrom in PVP, unless it either 1. Has Thunder Fang or 2. Runs Dragon Breath/Outrage/Wild Charge, then it’s going to mandate a specific layout and it isn’t good.

I assume this would be the go-to moveset for Zekrom. In most scenarios, this will be it’s most powerful set. You could sub-in Crunch as well for alternative coverage/a slightly faster charge move option.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by this.

From Pokebattler, it seems like that it recommends Dragon Breath/Wild Charge/Crunch. This is NOT a good set for PVE, that is for sure.

Oh, ok, I get what you’re saying. That’s true, it isn’t a good PvE moveset. Then again, the DB/IH/T set for Dialga is terrible in PvE, but is ideal for PvP. Same goes for Kyurem, as you’d likely want to run DB/DM/B if you were to use it in PvE rather than DB/DC/IW. In quite a few cases, a Mon’s ideal moveset for PvP will not match its ideal moveset for PvE.

I see that as being its biggest struggle in PvP where Steel types run rampant (and will just delete Kyurem). Zekrom might be better but it’s still hit hard by the ground and ice types which aren’t uncommon. Reshiram could function as a closer/Steel counter but If anything, they will just make Garchomp and Mamoswine more relevant and solidify the existing meta (Steel-Dragon-Ground). Neither can reliably defeat King Dialga.

2 Likes