What are Pokémon that are being held back from being relevant by moveset alone?

One Pokémon I can think of would be Slaking, it’s such a powerful Pokémon, yet it’s basically a sitting punching bag with its current move set. It would be great to possibly get a fast move that either charges it’s charge move faster, does a little damage or at least balances it out more making it usable in pvp or pvp.

Slaking runs yawn to imitate Truant in MSG. It’s unlikely to ever change sadly as it’s intrinsic to the mon…

NO!
Slaking have got such good statistic. Yawn is good for slaking, because when he have bad attack “tackle” he have got 67% of wins. So I guess not, because that would be too good. Even such a weak attack as tackle makes this pokemon much better, not to mention attacks such as shadow claw or counter.

Yeah the other replies are right about slaking. Same goes for Archaeops and presumably Regigigas(?). Those ones are meant to be handicapped and will stay that way

Two pokemon that come to mind immediately for me are Galarian Weezing and Galarian Cofagrigus. Both these pokemon have great stats and incredible pvp potential in their typing and main game movepools yet niantic made them, intentionally, unusable. I’m just hoping this will change…

Gastrodon is another one I could name. Could be good in great league and could be excellent in Ultra League after the level 50 update but oof, hidden power and mud slap just don’t do anything.
Reuniclus is in the same vein here, with an upgrade to either astonish or hidden power it could be pretty interesting but as-is , it’s nothing

3 Likes

You’re right though. I think that’s really an answer to two different questions: 1) what 'mon are missing good moves? 2) what moves could be (slightly) buffed to bring some spice?

There’s as many 'mon that don’t translate well into PoGO as there are moves that don’t work in PvP.

2 Likes

Galarian Weezing would be an absolute unit in PvP with charm (or just something usable) that typing is very cool!

Emboar is one I keep thinking of. They keep giving it new charge moves and eventually it’ll get blast burn, but the only thing it’s in need of is a fast move! Ember does not cut it for PvP. It needed incinerate. Counter might be too good…

2 Likes

G Weez currently can’t learn any other fast moves in the game hence why it’s stuck with tackle. Eventually it will get something but for now it’s stuck

2 Likes

Armaldo has always been awkward, just like Ho-oh it was stuck with poor movesets and no synergy.

Hippowdon is another weird one that’s not sure what its supposed to do.

Torterra has fantastic stats, great coverage moves, but terrible energy generation. If it could get even just average energy gains, it would be an insane generalist, easily topping the charts in UL and MLPC.

Cobalion and Virizion need a usable fastmove and they’d be all set to join the ranks of top-tier UL legendaries.

Alomomola needs a cheaper charge move and it would be a great GL tank. Its just kinda meme-y right now. Hidden Power buff wouldn’t hurt either. :wink:

5 Likes

Using gastrodon sometimes and it is quite good in GL. Of course would be better with e.g. mud shot.

@Dhen93 : basically everything with hidden power or zen headbutt or one of the normal movrs as only fast moves - miltank, blissey, chansey, togetic, Audino, stantler

@captpepperjack - alomomola is already quite good. Guess most people don’t use it because the second move is expensive. And it will stay forever in the shadow of the other water tank… What was its name again…

3 Likes

You could throw all the Eeveelutions in here as well. Not that they ever had access to much coverage in the MSGs but a bunch of them could have shadow ball, grass knot, etc.

I’ve always thought having them being good in PvP would be pretty cool as they are very accessible. Beginner friendly besides the 2nd move cost.

3 Likes

I would love to have better pvpeevees; in the early days of the game eeveelutions were my favorite thing to use and back then they were pretty good in gym attacking too. Now that the gym system is irrelevant in most places and there are much stronger attackers, I rarely use my eevees outside of some rocket battles. I miss them
I’ve used glaceon a bit in master league but that’s it.

1 Like

I agree that the Eeveelutions could be better, but I understand them only having STAB moves since that sorta fits their role as cheap options in their elemental type.

Struggle Bug is a terrible fast move. With Fury Cutter (which it could learn from Gens 2 to 4) or Bug Bite (which it could learn from Gens 4 to 7) it would be the best non-legendary Bug attacker.

Of course, its regional status does not help, but it could be released globally through a special event with either of the above as an exclusive fast move.

At least it finally got Incinerate. Sacred Fire when?

…and they do get Last Resort. Umbreon is really strong in GL.

3 Likes

Created an account here to brag about my love of Hippowdon in ML Premier Cup. Ice Fang shreds Dragonite/Togekiss/Garchomp/Grass, Body Slam often baits Metagross and Magnezone, but can also finish them with an unexpected Earth Power.

4 Likes

I wish Hippowdon has Mud Shot, which it can learn in gen 8.

2 Likes

Not released yet, but Xerneas has a horrible move pool.

1 Like

If the gamemaster isn’t changed by their release, add Noivern and Dragalge to this list :/

1 Like

Came here to post exactly this. We kinda knew it would end up with mediocre fast moves (since it can’t learn Charm or really any of the good fast moves in Go), but Tackle/Zen Headbutt? Yuck. :sob:

1 Like

Astonish needs a buff. So many more mons would come into play. Don’t think it’ll happen in the foreseeable future after hex only just getting buffed though.

3 Likes

Not released yet, but Xerneas has a horrible move pool.

Pretty sure that GF didn’t even bother trying to program it with viable fast moves back then. XY clearly didn’t place GO in mind during development.

I wish Hippowdon has Mud Shot, which it can learn in gen 8.

Agree. Ice Fang is VERY bad on Hippo for some reason.

Cobalion and Virizion need a usable fastmove and they’d be all set to join the ranks of top-tier UL legendaries.

Virizion’s fast isn’t THAT bad, but Cobalion’s one is just…ewwww

But for me, Galarian Weezing, Giratina Altered, anything stuck with Astonish (Klefki, Runeringus, Cofagrigus, Golurk), Emboar, Reuniclus, Audino, Lopunny, Anything that is stuck with big bars like Uxie or Alomomola or Garbodor.

(The context of Giratina Altered is bar Dragon Claw and the fast moves, it literally has nothing to go for it. Shadow Sneak is literally the worst fast move in the game itself.)

1 Like